Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Abrams, T90 or Challenger 2 which performed best on ditch and bomb crater course?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Abrams, T90 or Challenger 2 which performed best on ditch and bomb crater course?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Abrams, T90 or Challenger 2 which performed best on ditch and bomb crater course?

Abrams, T90 or Challenger 2 which performed best on the ditch and bomb crater course? This is the question I have been PM'd now several times and I have not given a straight answer to because I had not finished "re-running" the course several times with each tank to ensure they are being fairly compared and any issues experienced are repeatable or found to be more just flukes. All three tanks tested very well and all three only got stuck once and need a helping hand, this was on one major obstacle and was expected.

At the end of the day so to speak, the choice to which did overall the best ended up being torn between two, the T90 and Challenger 2.

Before I talk about those two let me start with the tank at the bottom of my list the Abrams. The Abrams even though proving to be a burt had a major issue that could not be overlooked and cause it to be more difficult to maneuver vs. it's competitors. It would constantly dig its nose into the ditch walls (see photos) and not be able to proceed forward, needing to be backed out and a different "line" of approach taken to navigate/cross the ditch. Neither the T90 or Challenger 2 had this issue.

The T90 had some minor issues, its extremely long barrel, very low ground clearance, lack of suspension/road wheel up travel and added fuel drums. Though these issues were seen none caused the T90 to come to a stop and need to back out and attempt a new line.

The Challenger 2 had a handicap going into the testing, it was purposely driven with the stock factory plastic tracks which proved to have a lot of slippage on the test course dirt. Even so the Challenger 2 had no issues with navigating the course and did so with ease, largely do to it superb suspension/wheel up travel and only had one small issue, its added fuel drums would drag from time to time.

So my choice for overall best performer on this course is the Challenger 2. It's superb suspension travel coupled with it's excellent ground clearance just made for the most enjoyable tank to drive. Had it been equipped with its normal metal/rubber padded tracks, it would have walked away head and shoulders above the T90 and Abrams with this test phase.

Here are some of the highlight photos from the testing. As aways feel free to add any constructive input.

When all else fails jump the ditch!
E

Climbing out of ditch at extreme angles.

Above ^^^ Fuel drums dragging.

Above^^^^ getting air time.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 03-31-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those last pics. The Challenger looks like a real tank testing. The T90 in the sight looks real too.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:50 AM
armshark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, I own 3 Tiger Is and they’re my pride and joy. I love the old tanks a lil more then the modern ones. But in the future (and I’m sure it’ll be soon haha!) I’ll be eyeing one of them modern tanks, I’ll be sure to keep an eye for those Challenger tanks. Thank you for the taking the time and effort to do this test. I appreciate it greatly. Cheers.

Shark
Old 03-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by armshark
So far, I own 3 Tiger Is and they’re my pride and joy. I love the old tanks a lil more then the modern ones. But in the future (and I’m sure it’ll be soon haha!) I’ll be eyeing one of them modern tanks, I’ll be sure to keep an eye for those Challenger tanks. Thank you for the taking the time and effort to do this test. I appreciate it greatly. Cheers.

Shark
The "modern designs" (late 80s up) of R/C tanks are a bit different in their performance compared to the majority of the WWII R/C tanks. Largely do to their much longer length, increased wheel travel and rear weight bias as the gear box and motors are in the back vs the front say like on the Tiger series and Sherman. One of the reasons I am doing these fun entertaining test is because there is so little out there really comparing these modern tanks like there is with WWII tanks.

I have found the modern tanks a bit more fun as they lend themselves to tweaking and creative licensing in imagination of "it is plausible future improvements area" since these tanks are still in service and will be for the foreseeable future. WWII tanks are factual history so to me they are kind of locked in a box of what can be done to them. Not to say I do not like WWII tanks I do, but just a bit tired of them right now.

Challenger 2 is a great modern tank to start off with so do give it a hard look when the time comes.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-02-2018 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dreadnaughty (04-16-2020)
Old 04-01-2018, 09:23 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Do all your tanks have metal and rubber tracks or stock plastic?

I understand the idea of testing the approach limits, but no tank driver would attempt that obstical unless they were in development trials. If the abrams was that bad, I would think it would have had more front track exposure for climbing out ability in reality.
I have seen vidoes and photos of the chassis tests without a turret back in the 70s out here in Yuma Provimg Ground. I wouls think if it had that kind of problem it would have been remidied. Similar with the T90, but that tank really does seem quite low to the ground.
your tests are quite revealing. I just recently got something other than a Sherman...ssh. Trying to decide how far to upgrade it and how close to real top speeds i can get it.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:45 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Do all your tanks have metal and rubber tracks or stock plastic?

I understand the idea of testing the approach limits, but no tank driver would attempt that obstical unless they were in development trials. If the abrams was that bad, I would think it would have had more front track exposure for climbing out ability in reality.
I have seen vidoes and photos of the chassis tests without a turret back in the 70s out here in Yuma Provimg Ground. I wouls think if it had that kind of problem it would have been remidied. Similar with the T90, but that tank really does seem quite low to the ground.
your tests are quite revealing. I just recently got something other than a Sherman...ssh. Trying to decide how far to upgrade it and how close to real top speeds i can get it.

No not all my tanks run metal/rubber tracks. At this time only both Abrams, but I do have a set of metal/rubber tracks for the Challenger and a set of Mato all metal T90 tracks. Though on the T90 I have found the metal tracks add nothing to the performance vs plastic track except weight. My T90 currently runs a modified hybrid track consisting of the OEM plastic and added soft silicone pads. This combination provides for light track weight, far superior grip over metal or plastic alone and thus greatly helps with climbing, turning and top end speed.

The testng I am doing is NOT intended to insinuate anything about the real tanks it is to show the limitations of the R/C MODELS ONLY. The real tanks like the Abrams with its 1200 hp turbine engine would just use its noise like a bull dozer and plow its way up and through ditch walls. Unfortunately the r/c models do not have this ability so design elements that would not be an issues for the real tank become one for the r/c model. Likewise the r/c models are capable of feats the real tanks would not and should not attempt.

My simple test are about having FUN and pushing the r/c models, learning their limits and sharing what I find to those wanting something a bit more interesting then the ubiquitous WWII tank build threads. During the tests I found “areas” prime for tweaking (on all) and have been working on simple modification anyone could do to improve their off road performance. Unless head to head testing is done these “areas” would never come to light as they have. In so much as they have, I am currently working on several write ups to come showing these modifications. There is next to nothing on the modern tanks about improving the suspension performance, track issues and achieving modern top end scale speeds while keeping it all cheap, simple and reliable.

My hope is folks find these tests and future write ups entertaining, insightful and maybe a bit of out of the box.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-02-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Dreadnaughty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir for this excellent review and comparison between these MBT's, lately i've been reading some of your threads on the chally, abrams and the t-90 because so far, you're the only one I've seen who compares modern tanks. I really do appreciate the time you took to review these and the insights you gave, they are quite entertaining, as I like modern tanks more compared to the WWII ones, but sadly I cannot find more threads like this anywhere, and I really do agree with you that WWII scale tanks are ubiquitous. I've been mulling over which one to get because the abrams and the chally look really appealing to me, thanks to the reviews you've made. I'm from an RC crawler background, and I'm just now planning to get my hands on scale tanks. I plan on running them hard on rough and extreme terrains, your insights helped me tremendously on which tank to get. Thanks a lot and cheers!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:06 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Here are a couple of questions for you:

Did you see any big difference in performance (power, battery endurance, and traction) running the Abrams with plastic tracks verses metal tracks?

I ask because I ran my HL Abrams using stock motors and gears with plastic tracks for quite a while enjoying good performance and endurance with reasonable traction, then put metal tracks on it and it hardly ran. With plastic tracks I can get 1000+ feet of running on a battery, but with metal tracks, the same battery will run the tank about 30 feet. It runs an IBU3, but otherwise is stock drive components.

Any ideas on what I should upgrade to get the Abrams to run well with the metal tracks?

Thanks for posting this info, I run my tanks out in the real world, so your research is key to improving my tanks.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:40 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Here are a couple of questions for you:

Did you see any big difference in performance (power, battery endurance, and traction) running the Abrams with plastic tracks verses metal tracks?

I ask because I ran my HL Abrams using stock motors and gears with plastic tracks for quite a while enjoying good performance and endurance with reasonable traction, then put metal tracks on it and it hardly ran. With plastic tracks I can get 1000+ feet of running on a battery, but with metal tracks, the same battery will run the tank about 30 feet. It runs an IBU3, but otherwise is stock drive components.

Any ideas on what I should upgrade to get the Abrams to run well with the metal tracks?

Thanks for posting this info, I run my tanks out in the real world, so your research is key to improving my tanks.
Metal/rubber padded tracks do suck far more power no question about that. I recommend running them with upgraded 390 motors and a minimum of an 8.4 volt 3500+ mah battery. The stock 380 motors at 7.2v or even at 8.4v just cannot handle the added load requirements of the metal/rubber padded tracks.

If memory serves your IBU3 can easily handle up to 12+volts and the amp draw of the 390 motors. I would look at going with a large NiMH 9.6v sub “C” type battery(which I run currently in my large tanks) being that the Abrams has the internal room with a little modification to easily fit one. This would provide more then the power you need yet stay well within the safe operational range of your IBU3. The added weight of the battery will also help with off road performance.

There are a few other little things I would also recommend with metal/rubber padded tracks for reliability, chiefly amount them are the installation of the rear axle support bearings if you have not already done so.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-16-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks! I don't have rear axle support bearings, but I can add them. Yes, the IBU3 can handle 12 volts, so I will look into that 9.6v battery and 390 motor set up. I run my Abrams with a steel weight in the front to improve off road performance, so the bigger battery would be no problem.

I had high hopes of drifting the Abrams on ice last winter for some fun movies, but the rubber padded metal tracks bogged it down too much to do that. I can drift my Tamiya Leopard with it's rubber track pads, but the Abrams with plastic tracks just won't drift as well. With a slight up hill on ice, the Leopard will do burnouts from a standstill. Snow and Ice are terrain features you don't get to test tanks in very often. I have it available about half the year.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Pah co chu puk

The Leopard drifting on ice.

Leopard drifting movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SnTxyEnKuU
Old 04-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Thanks! I don't have rear axle support bearings, but I can add them. Yes, the IBU3 can handle 12 volts, so I will look into that 9.6v battery and 390 motor set up. I run my Abrams with a steel weight in the front to improve off road performance, so the bigger battery would be no problem.

I had high hopes of drifting the Abrams on ice last winter for some fun movies, but the rubber padded metal tracks bogged it down too much to do that. I can drift my Tamiya Leopard with it's rubber track pads, but the Abrams with plastic tracks just won't drift as well. With a slight up hill on ice, the Leopard will do burnouts from a standstill. Snow and Ice are terrain features you don't get to test tanks in very often. I have it available about half the year.
Snow is fun. I live in a semi-desert area, but the funny thing is I am less then a hour away from our big SoCal Ski resorts. I do run my tanks in the snow when I have a chance but nothing like the fun I am sure you have with snow.

Once you add the 390 motors and 9.6 battery you will have no problems drifting your Abrams. I am willing to bet it will put the Leopard to shame.

On another note have you tried running the Tamiya Leopard 2 tracks on you HL Abrams? I built a few HL Abrams with Tamiya Abrams tracks which like the Leopard 2 are much lighter then the metal/rubber ones yet just as strong. What excellent performers those tanks are. Being that Leopard track can run on Abrams sprockets it might be a interesting experiment for you at see how well your HL Abrams does with light weight rubber padded tracks and the stock 380 motors.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Very intresting testing! Thanks for taking the time to document and photograph.

I'm a massive challenger fan, mines proved a really stellar runner
Dreadnaughty (04-18-2020)