Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Barn find rc King Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Asymair95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn find rc King Tiger

First time poster with an interesting story. When I was around 13 or 14 I received a Tamiya King Tiger rc kit for Christmas. I was an avid model builder, and this was the next step up for me in the hobby. I really enjoyed assembling the kit and drove it for several weeks before the gearbox failed. I remember being devastated, and tried frantically to repair it, but it was useless. After that it became a static model on a shelf in my room. After graduating school I joined the military and moved away for 28 years. Today my Dad was cleaning out the top of a dusty closet and came across a non descriptive cardboard box...with my King Tiger in it! My parents had saved it for me because they knew how much work I had put into it, and how much I loved it.

Now for some pics

(Oops, it wouldn’t let me post them till I have 10 posts on here.)

My goal is to get this old warhorse back into shape as a dependable driver. I have many questions though.

- Is there a wiki thread somewhere on rebuilding/ modernizing/ repairing this model of King Tiger?
- Are there any aftermarket parts suppliers for these as far as scale accessories and electronics?
- Is the gearbox repairable or is there a suitable replacement?
- What are required upgrades for this year model to make it dependable? I’m not worried about keeping it stock, I want to drive it again.

Thank you for any help you can give me. Joe
Old 04-08-2018, 04:23 PM
trackmech81

Welcome aboard. If you get back into this be warned, it is addictive .
Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Asymair95
First time poster with an interesting story. When I was around 13 or 14 I received a Tamiya King Tiger rc kit for Christmas. I was an avid model builder, and this was the next step up for me in the hobby. I really enjoyed assembling the kit and drove it for several weeks before the gearbox failed. I remember being devastated, and tried frantically to repair it, but it was useless. After that it became a static model on a shelf in my room. After graduating school I joined the military and moved away for 28 years. Today my Dad was cleaning out the top of a dusty closet and came across a non descriptive cardboard box...with my King Tiger in it! My parents had saved it for me because they knew how much work I had put into it, and how much I loved it.

Now for some pics

(Oops, it wouldn’t let me post them till I have 10 posts on here.)

My goal is to get this old warhorse back into shape as a dependable driver. I have many questions though.

- Is there a wiki thread somewhere on rebuilding/ modernizing/ repairing this model of King Tiger?
- Are there any aftermarket parts suppliers for these as far as scale accessories and electronics?
- Is the gearbox repairable or is there a suitable replacement?
- What are required upgrades for this year model to make it dependable? I’m not worried about keeping it stock, I want to drive it again.

Thank you for any help you can give me. Joe
Welcome to the fourm! Lots of info here about your King. I am etoarmor.com and here's a link to my sight for KT:

King Tiger ? ETO armor

My oldest KT is about the age of yours. Most current goodies will fit your KT. Your transmission options are few, really. You can get new style Tamiya units from AAF Museum in Danville or from my site.

Can someone put up the link for AAF PX? I can't get it this morning, don't know if it's a 'net service problem or not.

Any questions you have, just ask. We're here to help you and enjoy our mutual hobby.

Last edited by sevoblast; 04-08-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome!

Current KT Tamiya Manual: https://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56018ml.pdf

AAF Museum Site for KT Parts: AAF Museum: German King Tiger

Enjoy, John
Old 04-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Asymair95

Thank you for the welcome and those links. Spent a few hours tinkering on the Tiger last night. I reshaped the stripped bevel gear by filing with some Swiss files and increasing the pressure of the gear meshing by repositioning the locking collar. I’m thinking of removing the gearbox support rod that attaches to both side plates and filing a bit off of the rod and reinstalling to help draw the side plates of the gearbox together more. Wish I could post pictures to explain myself better...lol.

The newer gearboxes in your store look great. Can you explain the difference between them please? Pro’s and con’s?

I noticed both both of them use a dual motor set up. Do I need two speed controls for these newer gearbox designs?

I removed the wiper speed control and installed a Tamiya electronic unit which helped with low speed operation.

I am currently fighting with the track tensioner on the rear tire. Any tips to help me out here? I loosened the clamp and rotated the drum with springs while pulling the tensioner to the rear. When it was tight enough I tightened the clamp back up. When I do this though it seems to loosen the opposite side and I end up chasing my tail.

I saw the newer tensioners avail on your site. Can you please explain the differences and pro’s and con’s for me?

What does propper track tension look like? I have the plastic tracks.

Sorry for all the questions. I was hoping there would be a wiki thread somewhere so I wouldn’t have to bother you guys...lol.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM
trackmech81

ETO is a great store as are a few others to find updated parts. I have known the owner personally for almost 20 years and he is a great guy.
You may also search YouTube for how to videos. Lots of resources out on he web now for our hobby
Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

His transmissions are rock solid too. I have 3 of them.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:05 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

My transmissions are about the strongest you can find. They will give you scale speed and will pull your tank with ease no matter what you do to it that makes it heavier. The drive shafts and the 4 bevel gears are hardened steel. Bearings are high quality rubber sealed units which seem to last forever but if one does fail, they are easy to change and of a common size. With stock Tamiya transmissions, if you get a pebble caught in the tracks it can damage the transmission. With my units you will break a track link and last time I looked track links are way cheaper than transmission overhaul kits from Tamiya. They are also very easy to install. When I say they are strong, when the Automotive Testing Institute in Moskau tested one 3 or 4 years ago, they ended up using it as a winch to try to break a final drive shaft. The shafts are hardened MilSpec steel and the tester stopped at roughly 17 kilograms (37.4 pounds) when they gave up. Their instructions were to break the transmission but they could no accomplish this task, try as they did.

I would strongly recommend the HennTec idler system. It is rugged and very strong plus easy to adjust and holes the adjustment. Mr. Henn does an excellent job on his units. There are two types for the King Tiger, aka Tiger B (Tiger 1 is actually Tiger E). One type adjusts from outside the tank from the rear and the adjustment is easy. The other type is 'scale' in that the idlers are adjusted through the prototypical idler adjustment ports on the hull rear lower plate. Since you have assembled the tank and glued on the covers, it is recommended to get the standard unit. Proper tension is when the tank is sitting level with full load there is a slight rise off the first two road wheels. I'll see if I can rummage up a photo of the real thing that shows this. Installation is very easy with clear instructions that I have translated to English for most of the units including the Tiger B and Tiger E. The stock Tiger B idler 'adjustment' system was always a problem and Mr. Henn solved that foible nicely.

I would strongly recommend obtaining the current stock Tamiya electronics, the MF and TO units for the Tiger B, usually available from AAF Museum in Virginia. They are plug and play and are bullet proof with very easy installation instructions. The motor sounds were recorded from the running Tiger B at Samur Museum in France. Hook up to your radio receiver, which should be 2.4 Ghz, is simple and straightforward with the added advantage of if you want speed and turning on one stick, we've got the charts to show you which receiver wire from the MF/TO system goes where.

I'll be a bit busy for the next couple days but I'll keep an eye on this thread and answer your questions as I can. You can also PM me through the forum or get the email from my site.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Two Cent Tip:

Before you go down the endless after market money pit path (been there done that several times) of converting your beloved legacy Tamiya KT to an updated DMD MFU full option Tamiya King Tiger:

Due consider it is way cheaper to just buy and build a new Tamiya King Tiger Kit + Radio System and add better idler adjusters etc and let your youthful KT memories and model remain a shelf queen and be many dollars ahead in the this hobby game.

Visit: Tamiya 1/16th Radio Control German King Tiger Tank

I have purchased many parts at ETO over the years and they are a super online shop, but you have several different paths to consider as the Tamiya KT DMD MFU and Communications Cable are expensive, when bought as parts.

Plus, you will find adding main gun recoil to you legacy model a touch tricky for a novice.

Suggest you write a parts list budget for your Legacy KT and compare it to the cost buying a new Tamiya King Tiger Kit plus the gear/parts you will need and want, then make your decision as what to do.

Consider also, spending a little more money and have the satisfaction and the enjoyment of building a completely new model!

Improvement parts such as Henntech Idler Adjuster System can be added to the new King Tiger Kit, which will need it.

Enjoy, John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-09-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM
trackmech81

What he said haha. I have been guilty of this too
Old 04-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Asymair95

Thank you for all the great info guys.

John, I completely agree with you. I will not be competing with this tank, I just want to be able to drive it. Sound systems, cannon recoiling and such aren’t in the budget. I do want it to be reliable though, and am willing to spend a bit to get there. I’m currently using the original 72mhz 4 channel radio that I used with it from my childhood. I actually drove it a bit today, but the bevel gear skipped a few times, and the track tension kept loosening up.

If I do end up with a new gearbox, is there a cheaper way to control the dual motors other than the expensive electronics?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Asymair95

Is there a way for an administrator to give me picture posting privileges?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:23 PM
armornut

First. Admins dont come here much, keep posting and you should be able to get pics up pretty quick.

As for the electronics, there are much cheaper solutions. Dual esc (electric speed control) is the most basic. There are some available for boats or tanks that are pretty cheap. There are also Clark boards and IBU boards, cheaper than the tamiya options, but still have all the sounds and extras.

if you're strictly trying to just get it moving, the dual esc with a new set of gear boxes is probably the best route. If you can find it, Tamiya made a DMD unit that came with the King Tiger they produced after yours. It's a simple dual esc, and I've seen them for really low on evilbay.

Good luck getting your old friend up and running again.

Also. Some of the older (been in the hobby longer) guys here may have sources or information on how to switch out gearboxes or find parts to help, I know at least two who have done what you're trying, hopefully they look in this thread and help you out.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Spitvalve

Hi Joe,
Your story brought back memories here. I can remember asking for a Tamiya King Tiger for Chistmas when I was 13 or so, and my Dad saying after a trip to a local hobby shop, "You know how much those things cost?"
Santa came through though with a Bandai 1/24 M60 with the remote control, so not RC but pretty exciting for a kid whose biggest kit to date had been a 1/48 Bandai Wespe. Pretty primitive by today's standards with just forward, reverse, and turn, and no turret rotation or gun movement. The only sounds were the thin steel gears and tiny electric motors clashing together. Some great memories putting it together and running over obstacles!
Good luck with your project!

Mike.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:19 AM
Cruiser133

I agree with John, the rabbit hole on updating the legacy KT is indeed deep. I could have bought two kits for what I put into mine as the upper hulls are different, the turret floor is different, the road wheels are different and I have not even got into the electronics and what John alluded too with regard to the recoil. You best bet on the cheap is scour Ebay and source the modern Tamiya gearboxes and find the single DMD from the old Sherman or KT kits. I would absolutely buy the Henntec idler from Bob as the factory one is garbage, especially if you ever consider going with metal tracks down the road.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:35 AM
Asymair95

Is there a want to buy section in here for tank parts?
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitvalve
Hi Joe,
Your story brought back memories here. I can remember asking for a Tamiya King Tiger for Chistmas when I was 13 or so, and my Dad saying after a trip to a local hobby shop, "You know how much those things cost?"
Santa came through though with a Bandai 1/24 M60 with the remote control, so not RC but pretty exciting for a kid whose biggest kit to date had been a 1/48 Bandai Wespe. Pretty primitive by today's standards with just forward, reverse, and turn, and no turret rotation or gun movement. The only sounds were the thin steel gears and tiny electric motors clashing together. Some great memories putting it together and running over obstacles!
Good luck with your project!

Mike.
Those remote controlled M-60's are pretty rare and highly sought after. I used to be into 1/24th - 1/25th years ago and it always had a huge price tag.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 AM
Asymair95

I looked on eBay and came across this knock off dmd unit. I can’t post url’s Here yet to the auction, but here is the description of the item.

R/C Tank TWIN-MOTOR ESC similar DMD Functions re 1 /16 1/15 1/25 Tamiya

Would something like this work with a twin motor gearbox variety? From what I have read about it I think it will.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:42 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Asymair95
Is there a want to buy section in here for tank parts?

Top of the main page
Tank Classified Ads - RCU Forums

Shad
Old 04-10-2018, 06:06 AM
Asymair95

Thank you Shad, ad is posted.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 AM
Asymair95

One more question, is it possible to just buy new bevel gears for the old gearbox I currently have? It looks like it is repairable if I could find a set.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Asymair95

Found a few issues with the tensioner system. The wheels were seized to the shaft on both sides. Also, the steel bar that runs between both tensioner arms was seized on the left tensioner arm essentially locking both tensioner idlers together. This made it impossible to get both sides tight at the same time.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Asymair95

I also removed the springs in the tensioner drum as suggested above and have so far had good results. To prevent slippage I removed both brake bands and drums and roughed them up using files and coarse sand paper. This has given the brake bands something to bite into when tightening down the band. I feel like this system could work better if there were two screws on the band for more clamping force. I may drill another hole in my bands to add another screw if I continue to experience slippage.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Asymair95

Click image for larger version

Name:	9_D69_D5_D7-25_E3-4465-_A049-80_D54377666_D.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2260008
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Asymair95

Finally, I can post pics!

Name:	140_ACB1_A-6052-48_E1-921_B-83_FBA976_CD3_E.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2260009

This is as factory fresh as they come, it was like opening a time capsule.

Name:	81_FF100_B-_CD61-4_A0_D-_A5_AE-_FF88_F006_C1_DA.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2260010

I was pleasantly surprised to find the strobe worked still. For some reason I never installed an activation servo though, so I do not have the angled swipe plate needed for the top of the servo horn. I will have to fab something up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.