Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long M41 "Modernization" build.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long M41 "Modernization" build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
That is really cool logic behind it. Totally something Raytheon, BAE or GD could have come up with. Its refreshing to see customization and freelancing on modern tanks that isn't done very much. Whats really cool is you have a lot of knowledge and thought behind it not just a hodge podge of parts thrown together. Your whole story is very plausible. I was thinking what you need now is a company decal across the turret side like Ontrack systems or what ever, with a big white lighting bolt under it or a projectile passing through it like a company logo you know.
Company logo added to the tank(s) that is a really interesting idea. I like it!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 PM
jkagan5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looks good

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Hi Fsttanks
Interesting, is that a 105mm?
Presumably thats a Thermal imaging sight mounted in the centre turret fwd of the hatches? Looks like it will obstruct the loaders hatch slightly? Internally it might obstruct gun depression?
NBC pack replacing the turret stowage box?

Mal
looks good
Old 05-16-2018, 02:26 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Fsttanks
Re the Tow launcher, presumably that's the firing position? Does it fold to stow against the LHS turret? Bradley like?
Doesn't look to be too much clearance between the thermal sight & the launcher, repeated launches may cook the sight?
In case of a hang fire on the launcher, I guess the loader will have to exit vis the T/C's hatch - after the TC & gunner?

Mal
Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Fsttanks

Hi Fsttanks
Re the Tow launcher, presumably that's the firing position? Does it fold to stow against the LHS turret? Bradley like?
Doesn't look to be too much clearance between the thermal sight & the launcher, repeated launches may cook the sight?
In case of a hang fire on the launcher, I guess the loader will have to exit vis the T/C's hatch - after the TC & gunner?

Mal
NO the TOW is in the "STOWED" position in the above photos. The launch position opens high and to left side of the turret. In launch position it clears the turret by a fair margin. It is not fully attached yet so I have not taken photos of it in the launch position. Most likely will be attach it tonight and should have photos of it in the launch position posted tomorrow. I have also finished work on the muzzle and barrel fume extractor. I worked up two muzzle ends and will be looking for input on which to use tomorrow as well.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I picked up a couple of these a few weeks ago .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Verlinden-1....c100227.m3827
Old 05-16-2018, 07:19 PM
afv aficionado

Hi Fsttanks
NO the TOW is in the "STOWED" position in the above photos. The launch position opens high and to left side of the turret. In launch position it clears the turret by a fair margin. It is not fully attached yet so I have not taken photos of it in the launch position. Most likely will be attach it tonight and should have photos of it in the launch position posted tomorrow. - Cool

I have also finished work on the muzzle and barrel fume extractor. I worked up two muzzle ends and will be looking for input on which to use tomorrow as well. - Cool. Presumably the gun will fire the standard mix of rounds - HE, Canister, Smoke etc, rather than exclusively sabot rounds? If the latter you might be better off with out a muzzle brake, as they're known to interfere with the sabot shoe.

Mal
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Fsttanks

Hi Fsttanks
NO the TOW is in the "STOWED" position in the above photos. The launch position opens high and to left side of the turret. In launch position it clears the turret by a fair margin. It is not fully attached yet so I have not taken photos of it in the launch position. Most likely will be attach it tonight and should have photos of it in the launch position posted tomorrow. - Cool

I have also finished work on the muzzle and barrel fume extractor. I worked up two muzzle ends and will be looking for input on which to use tomorrow as well. - Cool. Presumably the gun will fire the standard mix of rounds - HE, Canister, Smoke etc, rather than exclusively sabot rounds? If the latter you might be better off with out a muzzle brake, as they're known to interfere with the sabot shoe.

Mal
I am making use of the out of spec HL M41 barrel that is closer to a 105-120mm barrel in diameter. This works well enough to simulate a “heavy barrel” 76mm gun configuration. The muzzles I worked up took into account the sabot issue. One has no brake and one has a short high efficiency small diameter brake. When the heavier barrel weight and installation of modern dampening technology are taken into account as part of the gun system the need for a large brake becomes more or less pointless.

Since the “B” turret would be marketed to countries that do not have an a high threat from more modern tank adversaries, the need for a main gun to fire many different type of rounds weighs high in importantance to maintaining versatility of use.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-17-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Fsttanks

Turret "B" TOW launcher positions.

First photo is in the stowed position the second is in the firing position. This turret is still under construction and is in the "rough" still needing finishing work prior to paint.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-17-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Fsttanks

I worked up two barrel end options for the upgraded barrel being fitted to turret 'B". The first two photos show option #1 which has a short high efficiency muzzle brake. The second two photos show option #2 which has no muzzle brake. Both option share the same evacuator. Note the muzzle ends were painted only to provide a completed look and their actual color will be different once assembled onto turret "B"

Looking for your input as to which one to use so feel free to and your constructive thoughts on which to utilize.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I like the visual effect of the top photo barrel better.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM
afv aficionado

Both look fine, remind me of how my Taigen M41 currently looks - haven't fitted the muzzle brake - see last post on the page - Taigen M41A3 -

Mal
Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Fsttanks

Looks like turret "B" will be heading to the paint shop later today. I have to say for a turret that is made up of odds and ends I pulled out of my used parts bin it has turned out better than I expected so far. In person it looks to have the ability to hit fast and hard. I am kind of torn as to whether or not to buy another M41 to put it on? The only thing stopping me is the poor quality suspension the Heng Long M41s have. In short order I have worn out 4 "axels" and broken two shocks. I have not even installed the red motors, steel gearbox or DKML Abrams track yet. Still I am loving the "Cold War" era look this M41 has.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Fsttanks

"B" turret : Most of the paint work is done but dirtying it up is still needed. Also note this turret is not a "show piece" it is meant to be used and abused so the detail work put into it is being limited as it will soon be covered in heavy dust and dirt.

The last few photos show turret "B" next to turret "A" which is mounted on the tank.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:19 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

That looks really good
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Fsttanks

Well its been a fun project and I hope you enjoyed this thread, but other than a few tiny things I am calling it done. So for the build part of the Heng Long M41 "Modernization" here are the final photos that show a comparison of the two turret options. I will be following this build up soon with the running upgrades thread that will cover internals and new DKLM sprocket and tracks. As always your constructive input or question are welcome.

The first set of photos are of turret "A" with the new 105mm smooth bore gun, conformal ceramic turret armor, advanced sighting systems for commander and gunner giving the tank a "hunter killer" capability.

The second set of photos are of turret "B" with the new heavy barrel 76mm rifled gun, bolt on (thinner) ceramic turret armor, advanced gunners sight, CROWS type weapons system, and optional TOW missile launcher (shown in stowed "non firing" position).

Heng Long M41 "Modernized Turret" : Option "A"

Heng Long M41 "Modernized Turret" : Option "B"

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-20-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:18 PM
afv aficionado

Hi Fststanks
Nice job, both look the part.

Mal
Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks really good, nice upgrade!!!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Both Turrets turned out very good great concept of a what if they had upgraded the M41 Bulldog to still hang in there for a few more years .
I do find myself now leaning more towards the cold war and modern tank era I've got several WW2 tanks covered there all ready .
Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 05-24-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a really cool build. Very well done and looks like it could be a model of a real tank.

If I could toss out one suggestion, add the appropriate black-out / cat-eye covers to the head and taillights. Minor thing, but it would flow with all of the other well-executed detail work you did.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Fsttanks

Default Addendum: Armor package upgrade.

After some time of running the new M41 I had a few ideas about what more was needed especially for the turret "A" option. Since I still had an old wrecked M41 upper hull (seen in some of my other threads being driven over by other tanks) I decided to strip it down and refurbish it. This refurbished hull would be specific to the heavier "A" option armor package. I also felt that the turret loaders hatch was not conducive to the more modern feel and needed to be enlarged and made to open toward the rear of the turret. This in order to allow easier restocking of the larger 105mm main gun rounds and to allow the loader the use of a MG from his hatch. The forward upper hull armor was changed to a thicker style ceramic with greater coverage. This same ceramic armor was added to the gun mantel for additional protection. I also changed the forward hull road lights to a different design.

Here are a few photos of the new "A" package armor and hatch enhancements:

Heng Long M41 with new armor and loaders hatch.

Heng Long M41 new loaders hatch.

Heng Long M41 new "A" package armor option and new forward road lights.

Heng Long M41 "A" option armor, hatch and lighting upgrades.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:16 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Pretty Cool!
Old 07-04-2018, 07:24 PM
afv aficionado

Looks good. M1 loaders hatch? Foamed steel might be better than Ceramic on the turret?

Mal
Old 07-05-2018, 08:52 AM
Fsttanks

Looks good. M1 loaders hatch? Foamed steel might be better than Ceramic on the turret?

Mal
Yes the loaders hatch is from an Abrams. Good eye catching that once again.

“Foamed steel” is interesting, but at this time not readily available for commercial use in up armor applications such as this build. It is promising for future uses though.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 07-05-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Fsttanks

Default UPDATE with new turret, gun and armor package.

For those of you that have been watching this thread I have made some running changes and upgrades to the Heng Long M41 option "B" upgrade package seen in the above treads posts. The turret/hull armor, optics, main gun, track and color scheme have been changed.

The changes to the hull consist of thicker more advanced "stand off" ceramic plates with greater coverage and relocated road/driving lighting. The turret sides have been given smaller yet thicker ceramic plates that are more easily replaced if damaged and that cover a larger total area of the side of the turret. On the top forward section of the turret has also been given larger and ticker "stand off" ceramic plates along with a revised hatch for the commander and a rearward opening hatch for the loader.

The automated MG station was deleted and new MG ring mount has been added around the loaders hatch. This new MG layout provides a enhanced level of crew safety over the legacy M41 design, yet at a greatly reduced per unit upgrade cost for the "B" option which in turn allows for cost increasing elsewhere in this package. Note: The new MG ring mount is also slated to be an additional revision to the "A" turret soon.

The optics package has changed to now include an independent day/night/thermal sight for the commander. Also a new thermal sleeve and profile has been added to the main gun. The option for the turret mounted "TOW" launcher is still available and its mounting system can be seen to the rear left on top of the turret.

The tracks and sprocket have been changed to those found on the M26/46 for cost savings, but the option to utilize both Abrams and M41 track/sprockets still is available and is a simple quick change over process.

Paint scheme has been change to one better suited for a wet climate.

The following are a few photos of the new "B" option and upgrades that can be seen in comparison to the "A" option turret and hull shown in the background. Hope you enjoy and as always your constructive input is welcome.

New options for Heng Long M41 upgrade packaged "B" turret/hull.

Heng Long M41 upgrade package "B".

Heng Long M41 new option "B" in front of option current option "A" package.

Heng Long M41 option "B" package seen from above.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 10-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM
afv aficionado

Hi Fsttanks
Interesting. While not updating the M41 per se as you're doing, Louis has been correcting the basic M41 rather seriously, which you may find of interest?
link - https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=22&t=26093 -

Mal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.