Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL M4A3 105mm Sherman with Mato Metal track

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL M4A3 105mm Sherman with Mato Metal track

Old 11-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Strathcona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL M4A3 105mm Sherman with Mato Metal track

Good Evening Tankers,
I have stock HL M4A3 105mm Sherman, I would like to replace the existing tracks with the Mato T74 track with duck bill end connectors. Any suggestions to what should be done? ( like replace the sprockets, idlers, and gear boxes.) I added the Mato Ostketten (winter track) to my HL Stug 3, runs great. I wish they would make these after market tracks out of plastic, less expensive, easier to work with, and weigh less. HL are you following?
Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 PM
Jarhead2005

Originally Posted by Strathcona
Good Evening Tankers,
I have stock HL M4A3 105mm Sherman, I would like to replace the existing tracks with the Mato T74 track with duck bill end connectors. Any suggestions to what should be done? ( like replace the sprockets, idlers, and gear boxes.) I added the Mato Ostketten (winter track) to my HL Stug 3, runs great. I wish they would make these after market tracks out of plastic, less expensive, easier to work with, and weigh less. HL are you following?
I've got the same tank. You will have to replace the sprockets for sure as the metal tank won't fit the plastic sprocket, not to mention if it did it would eat it up. I would also replace the idlers with the mato metal adjustable ones. Originally, I only replaced the idlers with the metal non adjustable. Kept throwing tracks.
Also, you'll prolly need to upgrade your gear box also. I bought the version that came with the nickel gear box, it lacked the torque needed to not bog down.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 PM
Strathcona

Thanks for the reply Jarhead2005. This was very helpful. Much appreciated.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Jarhead2005

No problem! One other issue I did encounter was the bogies are also narrower than the tracks and allow them to slide, then they being plastic just shows wear from the metal tracks. I replaced my lower with a mato metal chassis that came with metal suspension. But you might be able to find just the metal suspension. Being the metal bogies are wider, it would be a chore I would think to try to make metal ones work. I know you said you wanna keep it light, but it's one of those things, at least it send this way to me, that once to upgrade one thing to metal, you end up having to upgrade allot to metal. Just because of the wear.