Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for my m4a1 76w Sherman

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Upgrades for my m4a1 76w Sherman

Old 01-11-2019, 03:15 PM
AJ1THEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades for my m4a1 76w Sherman

I got myself this m4a1 76 w Sherman made by
mato from ebay and i was looking to upgrade it,
starting with the controller system (as it did not
come with one) and batteries (same thing there)
any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the hobby We love these threads!

Well, for starters what is your R/C experience? There are many options for aftermarket parts depending on budget, what you want out of the model, if you want to join a battle club, etc.

The Mato Sherman is a good starter, it's fairly lightweight but will work with aftermarket parts; I know the gearboxes themselves can be a tricky upgrade and I forget if the stock sprockets will fit HengLong style drive shafts... but we're hear to find out!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 AM
AJ1THEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strato50
Welcome to the hobby We love these threads!

Well, for starters what is your R/C experience? There are many options for aftermarket parts depending on budget, what you want out of the model, if you want to join a battle club, etc.

The Mato Sherman is a good starter, it's fairly lightweight but will work with aftermarket parts; I know the gearboxes themselves can be a tricky upgrade and I forget if the stock sprockets will fit HengLong style drive shafts... but we're hear to find out!
im mess with rc cars beforehand but this is my first time with a rc tank, and for budget i was looking as around 200
Old 01-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I don't think it's possible to build a tamiya compatible IR battle tank on your budget. You can get the tank, but the aftermarket boards and the apple to become tamiya compatible to battle with a club add considerably to the price. Just the tamiya apple and emitter alone will set you back about 90 bucks (almost half your budget), and even the impact is about 60. Then it's over a hundred more for a clark or IBU, so I just don't think you can get a tamiya compatible battle tank for $200. Your best bet is to save your money and start with a Tamiya Tiger or Sherman. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's just the way it is.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

If you just want to have fun with the tank as an airsoft toy then I suggest you get a taigen radio system and their plug harnesses. You will have to look at what the wires do and rewire the whole tank to a new radio system. The mato system is not quite plug and play into the systems available now. This is your easiest and cheapest solution.
IF you want to make it Infrared capable and do battle with a club you are gonna need more money and probably some help.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:13 AM
maillemaker

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if yours is a BB gun tank but just a word of caution - if you think you are going to have tank battles with the BB guns you will discover they are more than powerful enough to blast bits off of the tanks, never to be seen again. Then you will be buying more bits to glue back on. Ask me how I know.

Steve