Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

MGM-51 Shillelagh - an ammo for the Tam M551

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

MGM-51 Shillelagh - an ammo for the Tam M551

Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Elefant

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MGM-51 Shillelagh - an ammo for the Tam M551

I am opening this thread to talk about something that may appear to you quite futile : the MGM-51 Shillelagh, the ATGM designed for the M551 (lets not forget the M60A2 and, more marginally, the MBT-70...).
My first goal is to design a faithful 3D model of the weapon and making a simpler one from it dedicated for the 3D printing.
Suprisingly, there are not many materials nor infos on this ammo. Only the same few photos, no precise drawings, cutaways...etc.
I had to guess a lot.

As I asked on the M551 thread, maybe one of you has something to share about it, and if so, Id be more than happy to use it for this project.

Id be happy to read your comments, suggestions or questions about it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Elefant

Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Elefant

Good evening,

Been working on the Shillelagh and made some good progress. It is almost finished indeed.
I finally found nice materials that helped me to rework (redo I should write) the tail and motor section.
I would be happy to read what you think of it, do not hesitate, it is my first 3D model (the second to be honest, the first one was an Titan II RV and its warhead I 3D printed for another project...)

Bye,
Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Elefant

Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Elefant

Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, you've gone into way more detail tham I would have - it looks very profesional!
Are the decals on the side easy to apply? How well do they wrap around geometry? I've not used that function in fusion360, altho I have used the canvas feature - being able to import a scan of a scale drawing and essencially trace over it has been a huge help for a couple of my projects now.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Elefant

Thanks Pat. Well, the decal function is pretty straightforward. Just prepare your decals with a drawing software that allows transparent background and like with the canvas feature, open an image file. It will follow the geometry of the body.
For the moment I have yet to found how to bond the decals to the body : if I move the view around the object, logically the decals stay on the body but if I move the latter the decals remains where they are...
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll have to dust off Paintshop Pro and have a play, my trucks look kinda plain without the white stars and bumper codes
Old 08-07-2022, 11:26 PM
Gunrunner08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elefant.. I sent you a private message.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:26 AM
Durahl

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
For the moment I have yet to found how to bond the decals to the body : if I move the view around the object, logically the decals stay on the body but if I move the latter the decals remains where they are...

Both the Body and the Decal you apply to it need to be in the same Component:

Kinda curious though... What Scale is this supposed to be for? At 1:16 that thing is hardly going to be any larger than the DM53 I 3D Printed for my 2A7+ and a lot of detail will be "lost" to the miniscule size 🤔

Last edited by Durahl; 08-08-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 PM
Gunrunner08

I was hoping for original size. I thinks it's a little over 3 feet but I can't remember exactly. Have break it up into several pieces to print it.. Hopefully he replies at some point. My Grandfather worked on the Shillelagh in the early 60s. I have news paper clipping from white sands when he was there working on it..
Old 08-12-2022, 06:37 AM
Durahl

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The Wiki entry calls for a length of about 115cm which - in my books - is quite substantial. The lower portion of my Dining Lamp MK2 is about 120cm and is unwieldy AF.
Printing a full size display model seems kinda excessive if you ask me... I'd probably consider settling for a maybe scale model allowing for it to be picked up and observed from all angles.

Just my 50c though - Good luck! 😉
Old 08-12-2022, 04:01 PM
Gunrunner08

Yea 115cm sounds right. Id settle for any size of the model at this point but I would like to have an exact replica tho.. heck ifi could find one 10cm I'd be happy. As long as it looks like the shillelagh. I have been searching everywhere. I literally joined this forum just to hopefully buy the stl's or 3d model. I can't find anything anywhere.