Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya FineSpec 2.4G radio review video

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya FineSpec 2.4G radio review video

Old 05-07-2022, 04:43 PM
Durahl

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a small video somewhat explaining how the Tamiya System works while also showcasing it on the Radios Screen:

On an old Radio with Analog Slider Trimmers there were two things you'd need for operating a Tamiya Tank ( or Truck ):
  1. The Two Sticks
  2. The Four Slider Trimmers for each Stick direction
The Sticks will do what I call the Primary Functions ( Driving, Steering, Turret Rotation, and Gun Elevation )
The Trimmers add to that the Secondary Functions ( Cannon Fire, MG Fire, Parking Brakes, Street Lights, Warning Lights, Combat Mode, and Engine On/Off )

Here's a little bit of speculation on my side how the whole Stick + Analog Slider Trimmer thing worked in the past:
A Stick could only go up to 100% on its own but with the help of an Analog Timmer you could go past that value - Like 120%
During the DMD Setup you'd train it to recognize what 100% looks like so whenever you go significantly past that value a Primary Function would turn into a Secondary one with the caveat that the change in value has to be done in a certain timeframe ( like in under 2sec )

Modern Remotes with Digital Button Trimmers appear to not only have lost that "Plus Ultra!™" functionality of going past 100% regardless of a Trimmers involvement but with them now also being Digital Button Trimmers it has also basically impossible to get to 120% within the allotted timeframe due to how long it takes for the system to keep ramping it up while you keep holding onto it ( at least on mine... )

And here's the solution - You tell those wimpy Sticks to finally man up and have them carry all the Groceries alone in one go ( and have the Trimmers Dirty Harry off your lawn ).
Remember the part with teaching the DMD what 100% looks like so it knows when to trigger the Secondary Functions? What if you never teach it 100% but instead 80%? Eyyy?!
80% Stick Movement will be interpreted as 100% and 100% Stick Movement will be interpreted as 125%! Thunderbirbs Are Go Baby! 😁

All you now have to do is one of the following:
  • Stay in 100% Mode all the time and limit your movements below 80% or at least slow down when getting past it to trigger a Secondary Function to stay outside the allotted timeframe of triggering a Secondary Function.
  • Work with Dual Rates using a Switch where you normally set a 100% Stick movement to only translate to below 80% and if needed can be allowed to go beyond that - Kinda cumbersome if you ask me.
  • Go one step further and program one or more Switches to not only allow a Stick to go past 80% to begin with but also have it immediately set the Stick value to be 100% completely bypassing the need for the Stick to begin with.
Quite frankly, I'm assuming that the new FineSpec2.4G is now basically just emulating what I've been doing since adopting a FrSky Taranis X9D way back in 2015:

As for the Tamiya GBS - I've yet to find a Video of it being in action that didn't look like it would suck like hell - I also recall a lot of comments from the past mentioning it having a SubPar performance.
It is also just that - A GUN Stabilizer - Not a Gun and TURRET Stabilizer. SGS-Electronic.de sells a specially for the DMD-T07 designed TVC-GSU-11 2-Axis Stabilizer ( requiring at least one additional Channel for remotely toggling it On/Off - Ideally two for Sensitivity Setting ) which I found adequate -

Last edited by Durahl; 05-07-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:49 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

It is easier to what Mr. Durah greatly explained.
In model setup enable extended limits. (Mark the box where E.limits are)
Config the DMD-MFU moving the sticks to the ends, sending indeed a 100%.
Then go to model setup, channel 3 insert mix, source while using Erskytx software is "Half", weight; +125%, switch, the one of your choice. If I remember well, that "half" in open TX is called "MAX". Every time you press it, it will shoot the cannon.
Then go again model setup, channel 3 insert mix, source while using Erskytx software is "Half", weight -125%, switch, the one of your choice. Everytime you press it, it will shoot the machine gun.
Go to channel 4 and do the same, both ways. It will trigger the lights, in one side if the tank has them.

That is it, it really takes about 3 minutes, no more than that. The sticks will not trigger the extended functions, but the switches of your choice will do.

What the Tamiya Crapstec does is, all those features come already pre-prepared, saving you three minutes of your time. But at the other hand, you cannot change any of them never, making it useless for any other model.
So for 150 euros you get a archaic radio with unobtainable receivers which should cost no more than 10 bucks, You can read a detailed info and why IMHO almost nobody should get one, here: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/radios/

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 05-08-2022 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:35 AM
Durahl

Are you talking from experience or are you just assuming doing it like that would work?
Cause when I just tested it on my Tamiya #56018 King Tiger it didn't ( my simplest model to mess around with )
  • I copy pasted its profile
  • Checked the Extended Limits
  • Reverted the 80% Gun Elevation Value back to 100% and upped the Firing one from 100% to 125% ( and 200% )
  • Then I retrained the DMD to test it
Nothing.

Observing the Radios Channel Monitor does show it increasing the Mixers Value past 100% but that apparently is not enough - Whatever is being sent to the Model ( Output Value? ) does not actually go past 100% and thus won't trigger the Secondary Function.

I'm currently on CRSF btw but I recall this also having been an issue with the FrSky Tx/Rx
Old 05-08-2022, 07:01 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Durahl View Post
Are you talking from experience or are you just assuming doing it like that would work?
Cause when I just tested it on my Tamiya #56018 King Tiger it didn't ( my simplest model to mess around with )
  • I copy pasted its profile
  • Checked the Extended Limits
  • Reverted the 80% Gun Elevation Value back to 100% and upped the Firing one from 100% to 125% ( and 200% )
  • Then I retrained the DMD to test it
Nothing.

Observing the Radios Channel Monitor does show it increasing the Mixers Value past 100% but that apparently is not enough - Whatever is being sent to the Model ( Output Value? ) does not actually go past 100% and thus won't trigger the Secondary Function.

I'm currently on CRSF btw but I recall this also having been an issue with the FrSky Tx/Rx
I am talking from years of experience doing it for myself and loads of friends and customers from my website. Unfortunately I sold all my Tamiya electronics and replaced with better equipment, otherwise I would make a video.

Anyway, your way works too, of course, and is still a good way. I just said another way which is simple and takes no time, and worked in every Er9x, ErskyTx and OpenTx radio I put my hands on.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:11 AM
Durahl

Clearly your solution could be described as the cleaner and thus more desireable one - But yea... Not much use for me if I cannot replicate it with the given explanation.
Maybe I'll be having go at it at another time - But today is not the day 😁
Old 05-09-2022, 05:35 AM
pitstain

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Rad,

Your constant bashing of the Tamiya radio is unnecessary and a bit rude, I don't disagree there are more advanced radios with more power and features out there but to go out of your way to take a thread about a particular radio off topic is now verging on trolling or "Toxic fandom" of your preferred brand.

This thread is just for someone to know what the FineSpec 2.4G is and can do, it's pretty disrespectful of you to do it here, please start your own thread if you wish to bash the Tamiya.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 AM
RichJohnson

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Have you guys found a way to buy more receivers for the Tamiya radio since you can have multiple tanks in one radio?
Old 05-09-2022, 10:36 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by pitstain View Post
Rad,

Your constant bashing of the Tamiya radio is unnecessary and a bit rude, I don't disagree there are more advanced radios with more power and features out there but to go out of your way to take a thread about a particular radio off topic is now verging on trolling or "Toxic fandom" of your preferred brand.

This thread is just for someone to know what the FineSpec 2.4G is and can do, it's pretty disrespectful of you to do it here, please start your own thread if you wish to bash the Tamiya.
Well, you would be half right if I recommended only one ėbrand, but I am not. I am no siding with any brand at all. You probably have seen me recommending Flyskys, Taranis, Frskys, Radiomasters, Jumpers and Radiokings, all of them competitor brands between them.
Your thread sure can help showing what that FineSpec can do... but people should also know what cannot do, what all the other radios can do, value for money and more opinions than just yours or other Tamiya fans. Believe or not LOADS of people write me in my website asking me how do I do the things that I do, and then they are pissed because they are unable to do anything, due to the Tamiya radio they got because they read it in a forum.
I believe it is necessary and helpfull to have as much info as possible. I'd be pissed to death if after reading good things about the finespec, getting it, and then, realizing that it is almost useless. Happened to me a couple of times in different things so I know what it is. So, if I helped somebody with what I wrote in forums or in my website, I am happy.

Anyway, I can call the discussion finished, last thing I want is to have a forum fight with anybody!

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 05-09-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:39 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by RichJohnson View Post
Have you guys found a way to buy more receivers for the Tamiya radio since you can have multiple tanks in one radio?
not as of yet but I now have a connection via a Gundam kit hunter that I can ask to check the Japanese hobby shops for.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Durahl

not as of yet but I now have a connection via a Gundam kit hunter that I can ask to check the Japanese hobby shops for.
Uhm... I'm kind of a huge Tamiya sucker myself but IMHO the scarcity if not outright unavailability of additional TRU-09 Receivers kind of invalidates any buyer's recommendation for the entire FineSpec2.4 Ecosystem even if you don't plan to buy another model requiring additional Receivers.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:10 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Durahl View Post
Uhm... I'm kind of a huge Tamiya sucker myself but IMHO the scarcity if not outright unavailability of additional TRU-09 Receivers kind of invalidates any buyer's recommendation for the entire FineSpec2.4 Ecosystem even if you don't plan to buy another model requiring additional Receivers.
I hear you and I am fortunate to have the means to buy a separate TX/RX for every model I build, which I personally prefer (call me crazy), I have radios that have spare RX's readily available and even then I just buy a new full radio set, but I still would like to possibly find a source for a TRU-09 or equivalent Futaba part so people can add models without adding more transmitters.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:31 PM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you and I am fortunate to have the means to buy a separate TX/RX for every model I build, which I personally prefer (call me crazy),
Crazy.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:55 AM
Crius

Received 201 Likes on 174 Posts

I too, like to have a separate transmitter for each tank and that's one of the reasons I like the I6 so much. $50 each and additional receivers are easy to get and cheap. I know the Tamiya fans like these radios, but to me it seems kind of foolish to spend $150 on a Tamiya radio when I can get three I6 transmitters for that price that are actually better radios with more functions.

And for the guy using the FlySky 10 Channel, I also have the I-10 and it's pretty much the finest radio I have ever owned. I haven't tried the taranis, partly because the I-10 has been so easy for me to use I don't see any reason to get any other radio.