Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya FineSpec 2.4G radio review video

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya FineSpec 2.4G radio review video

Old 07-24-2019, 07:52 AM
pitstain

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tamiya FineSpec 2.4G radio review video

I love it!!

Old 07-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Tamiya Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian - Thanks for doing the video. Because the instructions were all done with very little English I didn't try it out. Now it being so easy I feel stupid. I feel the same way about Tamiya products also as my name says, about Futaba as far as that goes to. (I have way to many)

Keep up the good work!

Kent
Old 07-24-2019, 05:11 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Tamiya Fan View Post
Ian - Thanks for doing the video. Because the instructions were all done with very little English I didn't try it out. Now it being so easy I feel stupid. I feel the same way about Tamiya products also as my name says, about Futaba as far as that goes to. (I have way to many)

Keep up the good work!

Kent
Thanks Kent! much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM
dingobattler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice review.

There's a lot of misconceptions about radios on the older Tamiyas, especially the Leo2a6, and especially about the lights, gun, and Gun Barrel Stabilizer.

Was starting my first Tamiya RC tank, and was advised completely against 2.4g here, because apparently only the older FM radios will operate the GBS. All the older radios had FM bands, which were illegal in Australia, so I had no choice but to go 2.4g 4YWD. I wanted to go for a modern radio like Turnigy, but even then, was advised against that by club members, as a lot of them had issues with digital mixing.

A few days ago, just installed my GBS, and it works with 0 issues, despite the radio being 2.4ghz, which really irritated me, as I read so many warnings here that it wouldn't, and I was going to buy a radio from the 1970s just for that. Its just pure misconception, and really would hurt people. If I didn't do further research, and found out that the US FM bands were completely illegal here (Its used for emergency services in Australia), I would be stuck with a 1970s radio at best, or at worst, actually caused serious issues during emergencies, even causing people to die, and/or face jail time.

What I want to do next is get a Turnigy for my next project, mix it to adapt for the Tamiya Leopard 2a6, and upload a video to show whether or not it will work with the 2a6.

Either way, great video, seems like a great radio, and I'm really regretting not getting it over the 4YWD.

The suspension on the type 10 seems really soft though.

Last edited by dingobattler; 07-24-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Leo 2 stabilizer

For clarification, it was Tamiya USA tech people who made the Futaba FM radio recommend for operating the Leo 2 and that was years ago. The Futaba 2.4 was new to the market at that time and did not play well with the stabilizer unit, nor did the Tamiya boys have a 2.4 radio to test with the Leo 2 back then. They recommended what they knew would work here in the USA.

The Tamiya Fine Spec radio is super, plug and play, my type of radio for sure, haha!
Old 07-25-2019, 04:05 AM
heavyaslead

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ian, awesome video and enjoyed your humor!

I'm sold.

One button control for all functions

Thanks so much for bringing this to light, even set up for my trucks too, WOW
Old 07-25-2019, 04:07 AM
heavyaslead

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did I notice correctly that both sticks self center?
Old 07-25-2019, 06:06 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by dingobattler View Post
Very nice review.

There's a lot of misconceptions about radios on the older Tamiyas, especially the Leo2a6, and especially about the lights, gun, and Gun Barrel Stabilizer.

Was starting my first Tamiya RC tank, and was advised completely against 2.4g here, because apparently only the older FM radios will operate the GBS. All the older radios had FM bands, which were illegal in Australia, so I had no choice but to go 2.4g 4YWD. I wanted to go for a modern radio like Turnigy, but even then, was advised against that by club members, as a lot of them had issues with digital mixing.

A few days ago, just installed my GBS, and it works with 0 issues, despite the radio being 2.4ghz, which really irritated me, as I read so many warnings here that it wouldn't, and I was going to buy a radio from the 1970s just for that. Its just pure misconception, and really would hurt people. If I didn't do further research, and found out that the US FM bands were completely illegal here (Its used for emergency services in Australia), I would be stuck with a 1970s radio at best, or at worst, actually caused serious issues during emergencies, even causing people to die, and/or face jail time.

What I want to do next is get a Turnigy for my next project, mix it to adapt for the Tamiya Leopard 2a6, and upload a video to show whether or not it will work with the 2a6.

Either way, great video, seems like a great radio, and I'm really regretting not getting it over the 4YWD.

The suspension on the type 10 seems really soft though.
Back in my Nitro racing days I had a friend in Australia send me a Futaba Magnum radio which was 29Mhz FM so I could avoid frequency conflicts at races, seemed like those were legal in Australia.
I use a 4YWD with my Tiger I with 0 issues.

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post
For clarification, it was Tamiya USA tech people who made the Futaba FM radio recommend for operating the Leo 2 and that was years ago. The Futaba 2.4 was new to the market at that time and did not play well with the stabilizer unit, nor did the Tamiya boys have a 2.4 radio to test with the Leo 2 back then. They recommended what they knew would work here in the USA.

The Tamiya Fine Spec radio is super, plug and play, my type of radio for sure, haha!
As stated Above, I do use a 4YWD on my Tiger I which has no problems, you are likely correct with Tamiya and their somewhat outdated recommendations.

Originally Posted by heavyaslead View Post
Ian, awesome video and enjoyed your humor!

I'm sold.

One button control for all functions

Thanks so much for bringing this to light, even set up for my trucks too, WOW
Originally Posted by heavyaslead View Post
Did I notice correctly that both sticks self center?
Thanks Heavy, and yes both sticks self center like they should.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Clarity

Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz FHSS 4-Channel Airplane Radio System w/R2004GF Receiver

This is, was the radio sold by the AAF Museum with the Tamilya rc tank kits for years in the USA.

The issue with the modern tanks is that the receiver R2004GF is not compatible. The Tamiya branded and recommended rc system is compatible with all their rc tanks.

Though, even during the 2017, 2018 Abrams build, that Tamiya black transmitter and receiver set I use was not easily available or offered at a reasonable price.

FYI: The receiver compatibility issues do not apply to WWII Tamiya RC tanks like your Tiger I.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Fsttanks

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

For the preprogrammed function to work properly do the receiver channels need to follow the Tamiya channel layout sequence? I do not follow this layout, I run mine with all drive function on the right stick and all turret/gun on the left stick. As such the additional features are almost useless to me as the standard Tamiya stick sequence of operating the features does not work. I am guessing the answer is the channel layout must follow the Tamiya sequence. Yes / No?

Old 07-25-2019, 02:39 PM
pitstain

This is, was the radio sold by the AAF Museum with the Tamilya rc tank kits for years in the USA.

The issue with the modern tanks is that the receiver R2004GF is not compatible. The Tamiya branded and recommended rc system is compatible with all their rc tanks.

Though, even during the 2017, 2018 Abrams build, that Tamiya black transmitter and receiver set I use was not easily available or offered at a reasonable price.

FYI: The receiver compatibility issues do not apply to WWII Tamiya RC tanks like your Tiger I.
I did not seem to have any issues with my 4YWD operating my Abrams.

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
For the preprogrammed function to work properly do the receiver channels need to follow the Tamiya channel layout sequence? I do not follow this layout, I run mine with all drive function on the right stick and all turret/gun on the left stick. As such the additional features are almost useless to me as the standard Tamiya stick sequence of operating the features does not work. I am guessing the answer is the channel layout must follow the Tamiya sequence. Yes / No?

I am pretty sure the preprogrammed buttons assume standard Tamiya channel layout, I will play around with it and see if you can custom program combos to suit your stick layout.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Pcomm1.v2

“I did not seem to have any issues with my 4YWD operating my Abrams.”

That is because it uses a different Futaba branded receiver, and was not available when the Tamiya Abrams was first sold in 2017 in the USA.

Futaba ATTACK 4YWD 2.4GHz FHSS Transmitter with R214GFE receiver for tractor, truck and other surface rc.
Your receiver is new and different, R214GFE, than what arrives with the Futaba Skysport 2.4, quoted in an above post, and sold by the AAF Museum with the Tamiya RC Abrams in 2017.

No one knew about any receiver compatibility issues, least of all Tamiya USA. Common knowledge now about the ops difference between the two different Skysport and Attack receivers. The R214GFE receiver works great in my Abrams without issue.

Anyway. Same receiver R214GFE, I use with my Tamiya Abrams, but the transmitter carries the Tamiya logotype.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 07-25-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Tamiya Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dingobattler
The suspension on the Type 10 is softer but it is supposed to be. The real tank is that way. Type 10 is made for mountain areas and a lot of that tank is computer controlled, even the loading of shells. Just a different style. thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 PM
pitstain

I did not seem to have any issues with my 4YWD operating my Abrams.

That is because it uses a different Futaba branded receiver, and was not available when the Tamiya Abrams was first sold in 2017 in the USA.

Your receiver is new and different, R214GFE, than what arrives with the Futaba Skysport 2.4, quoted in an above post, and sold by the AAF Museum with the Tamiya RC Abrams in 2017.

No one knew about any receiver compatibility issues, least of all Tamiya USA. Common knowledge now about the ops difference between the two different Skysport and Attack receivers. The R214GFE receiver works great in my Abrams without issue.

Anyway. Same receiver R214GFE, I use with my Tamiya Abrams, but the transmitter carries the Tamiya logotype.
10-4 got it now, thanks man!

Originally Posted by Tamiya Fan View Post
Dingobattler
The suspension on the Type 10 is softer but it is supposed to be. The real tank is that way. Type 10 is made for mountain areas and a lot of that tank is computer controlled, even the loading of shells. Just a different style. thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
100% this, if you watch any videos of them on maneuvers, they are super wafty, like a proper off roader.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Panther F

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Who is the 'go to' vendor for this radio?

I guess I need one now since I'm getting close in the build... what's another $160.00, right.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Try eBay or Amazon

Originally Posted by Panther F View Post

I guess I need one now since I'm getting close in the build... what's another $160.00, right.
Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/FINESPEC-4-CH...gateway&sr=8-1

I got my radio 7 months ago from these guys, they have raised the price.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:20 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Panther F View Post

They are also on eBay for a bit less than Amazon https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...inespec+2.4+g+
Old 07-29-2019, 02:22 PM
pitstain

Also a bit of bad news, you CANNOT create custom radio moves as far as I can tell, just the options it has built in, but they should perform most basic functions on "most" kits, I am building an older Jadgpanther coming up after the Leopard 2A6 and will test on both, I can also try it on my Tiger I, M51, and M26 time permitting.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 AM
Panther F

Thanks on the advice guys. I guess extra receivers will be needed soon.

I'm trying to get a Tamiya G1 Jagdpanther out of the way for this Sheridan. Just basically scratch built the stowage tube this past week out of brass. Moving that and the tools to the other locations has been a test in patience and THEN to find out my old batteries need to be replaced. $$$ UGH!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I just got a new radio myself While I've never been a fan of the Futaba radios (features per dollar spent) the RF link is super solid which to me is always king. I just picked up a TBS Tango myself for only $125 shipped and got a multiprotocol module to go in it so now it binds with all major brands such as FRSky, FlySky, Spektrum, Futaba, and a ton of Chinese branded stuff for an additional $40. It is my new favorite surface radio and it is probably the easiest radio to setup I've ever used including the FlySky stuff. I was considering the 14SG a friend was selling but without full Crossfire support for long range stuff (you need LR systems to operate more than 100m or so here near work at the park) I'll be sticking with the Tango or the X9D+ for a while longer. I would love to see one of these at the next Danville show we visit, does anyone have one there I can look at?
Name:  IMG-20190801-173041972.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  9.2 KB Name:  IMG-20190801-173103676-HDR.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  4.7 KB Name:  IMG-20190801-173127313-HDR.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  9.0 KB
Old 08-02-2019, 08:08 AM
Crius

Received 201 Likes on 174 Posts

Hey Erik, what's that I hear in the background? Is that the sound of your Taranis crying it's little eyes out?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Imex-Erik

No I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Taranis. While I really like the Tango the Taranis can do so much more. I am using the TBS Crossfire system so I have a few different requirements for my transmitters. They have to have a JR module bay and support serial out. Not many of them out there besides the OpenTX variants but the Tango not only hit those but also was at a good price. The Tango 2 is coming out soon so lots of people are ditching the original ones cheap. I was lucky and got the upgraded one cheap and even in the original box.

I try not to be a fanboy but I am a big supporter of TBS products. They are high quality items, they helped develop some of the FPV tech we use today, and most of it has a lifetime warranty too. I use only their video transmitters on ALL my stuff, the CRSF radio system on 80% or so of my fleet, and now have their transmitter too. All of it has been perfect and never failed me. I even set a VTX on fire and sunk it underwater a few weeks later and it still works almost a year later. They even just announced yesterday they are working on a new HD FPV video system after the announcement of DJI and Fatshark doing digital HD FPV systems. If the price is right this is a VERY big deal.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Panther F

I ordered my FineSpec just now, along with this new ergo chair I hope resolves some space issues for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-CPRO-800LP-Ergonomic-Worker-Capacity/dp/B0052PJFCW/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=BEST+HOBBY+CHAIR&qid=1564324525&s=gateway&sr=8-10

I am behind in all the radio tech... heck just last year at Danville I still had an old Futaba radio. Playing catch up and replacing batteries is where I stand but learning is fun!
Old 08-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Imex-Erik

That is a pretty sweet chair but I need a bit of cushion for my arse I know this is a bit off topic but let me know how that chair works please, I could use a few of them here at our standing desks in the mailroom.
Yea I feel you on the transmitters. It really doesn't have to do much except transmit channels I work with a company doing commercial filming (The Tour of Destruction was my last one actually here in FL) so I have to use the best of the best RF link and video links I can get. Check out the ToD if you guys can, Bossman came out and everything. It was my biggest crowd at around 10-15k people with the second biggest being the FL Stare Fair at around 5k.

Edit: We are trying to make a visit down to Danville later this year, just schedules are super messed up atm and it is hard for me to take off a few days as I need to be near a PC a lot these days.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Panther F

Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/FINESPEC-4-CH...gateway&sr=8-1

I got my radio 7 months ago from these guys, they have raised the price.
Thanks for the link John! Radio arrived in just 4 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.