Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya M551 Sheridan fighting in San Diego “modern battle”

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya M551 Sheridan fighting in San Diego “modern battle”

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Tamiya M551 Sheridan fighting in San Diego “modern battle”

So what shows up today at the San Diego Tanks Clubs “modern battle”???? Like the title says a brand new Tamiya M551 Sheridan. It did fairly well fighting against the heavy and med tanks even set up as a light tank. The owner a member of the L.A. Tank club that like me made the long drive down to San Diego gave as good as she (yes she) got! Dangerous lady behind the controls of that Sheridan. I was told the Tamiya M551 will be fighting again on Aug 3rd at the L.A. Tank clubs monthly battle. I suspect after seeing it perform today in open country it will be a tough opponent on their city battle field. Anyway here are a few photos I managed to take while fighting on the same team.

^^^^^ Three Abrams and a Type10 heading into a fight against 5 med tanks and two light tanks. Needless to say there was a lot of shooting.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 07-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:54 PM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, she really wanted to fight, didn't even finish really building it, just enough to throw on some paint and a TBU and kicked some ass, COOL!
Old 07-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by pitstain
Wow, she really wanted to fight, didn't even finish really building it, just enough to throw on some paint and a TBU and kicked some ass, COOL!
The tank was finished just did not have any of the ammo/gas cans on the turret and the commanders cupola was done just removed to install the TBA for battling. After the battles she put the cupola and 50 back on. I think the plan is to go a different route for the turret “kit out” then what Tamiya offers. The other tanks I have seen her and her husband with are not weathered. I think they like the clean factory fresh look. Still it was painted well and matched the San Diego terrain colors rather well. I have a good video of it running cross country at full speed while firing. It’s was smoother then the Tamiya Abrams, Leopard 2 and Type 10 over uneven cross country terrain which was nice to see.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 07-28-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:52 PM
pitstain

Got it, understood, I am a bit surprised as it feels really stiffly sprung and not super heavy to run so smooth.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Fsttanks

Got it, understood, I am a bit surprised as it feels really stiffly sprung and not super heavy to run so smooth.
I thought that too when I felt the suspension. But seeing it in person and on the video, clearly shows smooth performance. I would post what I shot but this site does not support raw video uploads.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:11 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It fits perfectly in the desert.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Makes me want one now. It would look good in MERDC Verdant next to my M60a3
Old 07-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Very cool!

Originally Posted by fsttanks

so what shows up today at the san diego tanks clubs “modern battle”???? Like the title says a brand new tamiya m551 sheridan. It did fairly well fighting against the heavy and med tanks even set up as a light tank. The owner a member of the l.a. Tank club that like me made the long drive down to san diego gave as good as she (yes she) got! Dangerous lady behind the controls of that sheridan. I was told the tamiya m551 will be fighting again on aug 3rd at the l.a. Tank clubs monthly battle. I suspect after seeing it perform today in open country it will be a tough opponent on their city battle field. Anyway here are a few photos i managed to take while fighting on the same team.

^^^^^ three abrams and a type10 heading into a fight against 5 med tanks and two light tanks. Needless to say there was a lot of shooting.
👍👍👍
Old 07-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Attitude Statement Opinion Correction!

FYI, Jeff and his wife have been part of the West Coast IR RC tank hobby leadership for many years and have built many beautiful models. Nothing they do is thrown together and factory fresh looking RC IR armor is very popular.

Dumping carried gear upfront of a IR or real tank fight is common. I use Museum Putty to attach deck and turret tanker gear, when possible, often, for my Abrams and other tanks, for model setup look flexibility.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 07-29-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 AM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That tank looks damn good
Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, think I need to check one out. If nothing else than to see the new stuff Tamiya has going on and if any goofs in the new electronics.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:43 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

One of the things on my bucket list is a trip to the San Diego Zoo, and I think now I'm going to have to add a stop at the San Diego Battlefield. It looks very cool.

Last edited by Crius; 08-01-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 AM
pitstain

I am really impressed with my M551, and with the out of the box experience with the new radio as well, it just makes the whole thing for fun to use, and othen then a minor panel gap issue it went together really well and should be a very durable IR battler as well.

Disclaimer: I do not IR battle, but if I did, I may take this over my Abrams or at least use it more often, the easy of battery swaps alone is a great design change by Tamiya and the DMD in this thing is state of the art not to mention the LCD screen is just great and makes it very easy to tweak settings.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:39 AM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Countdown continues to get a Sheridan