Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Here's something you don't see every day...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Here's something you don't see every day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Here's something you don't see every day...

There's an electric version of the now defunct Japanese RC tank maker Seki's (Seki Engineering in the ad) 1/10 scale Tiger I at auction on ebay..
Before anyone rakes it through the coal it is an early 70's type model and it has the level of detail common for that period. Seki was more
known for superb engineering than great low level detail.

It has the basic bones of the Seki models that I am familiar with however this electric version I am not familiar with.
I have the gas powered version which are marvelous runners.The example I see in this ad, appears to be a late
version lacking refinements in contemporary details I have on my own. I assumed these were cost saving changes.
The road wheels in particular are of a type I've not seen before on a Seiki, not very good examples I'm afraid.
Still if is a Seki and they made a very well executed model mechanically, very reliable.

I used to sell these here in the states a long time ago, this not being one of those as mine were all gas and this
appears a factory electric.A bit pricey but they are quite rare over here. Definitely nice condition considering the last Seiki
Tiger I model was probably made nearly 15+ years ago now.

Jerry

1/10 Seki Tiger
Old 10-01-2019, 05:29 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Wow...$8000...
Old 10-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

But just $357 a month for 24 months!

I've seen your niche getting bigger lately, Jerry, but I didn't know 1/10 had been around that long. Learn somethin' new ...

Most of it looks pretty cool, except those horrendous roadwheels.

Jerry, I've never seen video of a gas powered tank in action. Hint, hint.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Crius

I've seen your niche getting bigger lately, Jerry, but I didn't know 1/10 had been around that long. Learn somethin' new ...

Yup, 1/10 has been around quite a long time, at one time there were 7 or 8 manufacturers of 1/10 scale armor models.
They shared the stage with 1/7 and 1/8 scale in the late 1960s to the early 1990's. Many of the manufacturers were
small companies and usually run by older fellows who later just stopped producing and ended their businesses. There are
about 4 guys that will make 1/10 these days but most are very expensive, made to order affairs.

Yeah those road wheels are pretty awful, even for a model of that vintage; especially their earlier form were much better; again considering
the vintage. The track isn't to scale either but is virtually indestructible...

Gas tank video? Happy to oblige. I mentioned this the first time I posted this video: excuse the snap turns as I was using just one hand to operate the transmitter
and the other to aim my camera...

I've been prepping a couple of my models to run and if I'm able I'll try to make a new video.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 10-01-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Tanque

Ah yes and here is a short video of one of my gas powered Seki Tigers running. I've never really liked how fast they run except when
the local club here used to run in a large space. It was handy to cover the distances quickly. As you watch this understand that I
often rev the engine. This isn't just to make noise but rather to keep the exhaust system clear. I run these guys rich to aid cooling and fuel residue can build up in their
relatively complex exhaust systems so by revving up the engine it helps to blow it out. If the model has been running a while especially in hotter weather
this isn't so much an issue.

Jerry

Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Thanks for posting the video, Jerry, I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Those 1/10 scale are very, very cool but I just can't get past that motor sound. What do you have in those, a little 2-stroke? Like a weed wacker motor, or something? I understand the guys in RC boats use weed wacker Motors all the time. I don't see myself ever getting into gas powered tanks, but they are pretty cool. Personally, I like the sound that comes out of my IBU. The one I bought from you, in fact.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 AM
Tanque

The Panther has for power what in my mind has become the most bullet proof model 2 stroke: a Webra 6.5ccm / .40" CID "Blackhead"
engine in 'Stamo' ( stationary motor) configuration meaning it has a integral rear fan for cooling. The Tiger has an Enya 45 XTV. Both engines
have similar power output at about .75bhp. The Panther weighs about 75 pounds and the Tiger about 60- it uses thinner chassis construction.
The Panther has again what I consider the gold standard of model tank transmissions: Maier's 3 speed ( 3 fwd + 1 reverse); again very robust
and reliable when set up properly and maintained. The Tiger has a single speed fwd/rev unit unique to Seiki and further unique to their
gas powered models also very reliable, robust. It's drawback is speed. I like slow stump pulling power, never high speed. It's on the furthest back
burner to devise a speed reduction for these or some form of 2-speed system.

Glad you like that IBU! I plan on using some of my remaining ones in my smaller 1/10 scale guys and pile of 1/16 scale projects. I've reached a point
where while I still love my gas jobs; will always enjoy them and have several yet that I plan to build (including a 1/10 scale Elefant with gas-electric
drive analogous to the original) I concede the utility of electric.

I would now never recommend anyone get into gas/glow for power but I still love it. I bought off on the sound and smoke 45 years ago, it is what
it is, no pretense, no simulated anything; what you see and hear is real....they'll never sound like a Maybach, Wright radial or Merlin...

Jerry
Old 10-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius

Hilarious, that is more than my car payment and full coverage insurance....
Old 10-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Scaleman3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never knew about these, really cool, thanks for sharing, love the smell of tank smoke in the morning, LOL.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hilarious, that is more than my car payment and full coverage insurance....
Well Erik as I said in the thread on Bandai Hummels: something is only worth what someone will pay for it.

There are a class of things that are just a bit different than the rest, to those for whom money just isn't seen the same
as it is for the rest of us. That Panther I ran in the video above, I originally sold it during the time in the latter 1970s to the very early 1980s
when i represented Maier's products here in the States. The fellow who owned it is a member of one of the most wealthy
families in the US, a media tycoon whose name would easily be recognized by many. I stayed in contact with the handful of people
I had done business with long after I stopped my operation and this one fellow decided he was done with the model and I had
the chance to re-purchase from him in the late 1980s. To these folks these things are just another curiosity, one of thousands
they encounter; expensive by our regular standards. After an extensive rebuild it is as you see it.

If you look at longevity as a attribute of value, these models hold theirs. Barring unfortunate events these things will outlast us all,
they'll certainly outlast me. My original, original Panther that I bought new in 1976 still runs as well as when I first built it, just as
the one in the video, 43 years later...

When it comes to an asking price? As the old Disney melody says...."When you wish upon a star...." People ask me every so often
why I don't ever or at best rarely sell anything. It's because I'm not a salesman, I never learned the art of convincing people of worth, value.
To me a person who has a passion for a thing has already sold themselves; they don't need me. I actually intensely dislike convincing others
that an item is worth more or worse has extraordinary value. I expect people to recognize it on their own. If they don't I can't help them see it.

Jerry
Old 10-03-2019, 05:48 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not saying it isn't worth it, just when you break it down to those terms it is funny. If you are paying $8k for a model you shouldn't be worried about payments
Old 10-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I'm not saying it isn't worth it, just when you break it down to those terms it is funny. If you are paying $8k for a model you shouldn't be worried about payments
No argument there. That said I've always wished there were more affordable quality options in 1/10 scale. I really have believed it is an under-served scale for RC military.
Large enough for visual impact and realistic operation yet small enough to be easily manageable by one person. It's why I was initially so enthused by Hooben's entry into
the scale and the appearance of military softskins. I've long felt the scale could get a serious creative infusion if it ever got the attention of China's hobbyists and manufacturerers.

At the end of the day the seller of that Seiki will have an uphill battle to sell it at that price. I should likely have lead with that but still it's an interesting model

Jerry