Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM
throwscoach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dgsselkirk,
That would be great, we shoot everyone equally except Jim, he is the #1 target.
George
Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Tinner7

Default Hello

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I live in Lansing Michigan and have been looking around from time to time in hopes of finding a active rc tank scene near me. Right now the only tank I have is my Tamiya Abrams but I hope to get a Sherman and or a Tiger within the coming year. I mainly have crawler/trail trucks.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Crius

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome aboard. I'm down in Detroit, on the very western edge of the city, the area known as bright more. If you know Detroit, then 5 Mile and Telegraph. I've really gotten into these new RC trucks over the last year or two, and I posted a lot of videos about them at my YouTube channel, and right this minute there are some really cool advances about to come out. Imex, down in Florida, is now carrying wpl and JJ RC trucks and a complete line of parts. They're also going to have a new upgrade board that will give the truck sound, tail lights, and turn signals, along with a couple other things and I plan to get one of those boards just as soon as they're available, which should be within the next few days.

Again, welcome aboard, it's always good to see new members. Just holler with any tank questions that you have and I'm sure one of the guys here will be able to help you out.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Xipetotecs

Happy Holidays All!

Having been a really good boy this year Santa brought me a really sweet new tank!!

Its a henglong M4A3 105 with metal tracks and gear box, the 2.4ghz 6.0s radio system and IR battle system/airsoft BB gun. This tank is amazing for the price ($250ish). Cant stop driving this thing around! Cant wait to battle other humans! Comparing it to my older henglongs this thing is a spaceship Cadillac. Heavy and robust. My old Pershing is just crap and the Panther is ok, but both have DBC battle systems that at worst dont work and at best janky. Probably my wiring...

Im really looking forward to big backyard battle hopefully sooner rather than later! The new henglong battle system is compatible with Tamiya and Ive been shooting up my panther the last 2 days. I can hit it 60-70 feet away outside and this review shows the pros and cons of the system as compared to Tamiya See this RC universe thread heng long IR battle review (apparently I need ten post to have a URL)
  1. The question is can I use this tank to battle with this group? It essentially behaves like a Tamiya medium tank but doesnt slow down and the shot timing is around 3 seconds
  2. Do I need to make any changes? Hit LED's on the turret and high tension shot flasher are easy adds
  3. DBC trouble - Anyone have experience with these? That old panther takes hits well but it has issues with the IR emitter. Very weak, can only score a hit about 4 inches (100mm) away with both the henglong system and the DBC system. Either the LED's in both DBC tanks have burned out (Ive swapped them and its thats unlikely) or there is something wrong with the DBC boards (very likely). They have always been unreliable. The DBC board puts out 1.3-1.4 volts to IR led with triggered. Is that right? Was considering buying a new LED just to try that, Also LED is very very dim when looked at with camera as compared to the henglong IR LED
  4. If I were to replace the DBC board with a different system, any recommendations? Ive been looking at MAKO/Piranha and that seems most cost effective if available. Alternatively I could just drop in new henglong electronics for about the same price. New Tamiya electonics are prohibitively expensive. Any Advice?
Thank you all for any help and cant wait roll into a big battle!

Patrick
Old 12-31-2019, 11:00 AM
EOT

Hi Patrick,

As to the first 2 questions I don't know if it can be adjusted or not . The older systems were incompatible with tamiya and non adjustable but that information is 4 or 5 years old and very outdated.
The 3rd question: The DBC system had many issues with weak wiring. Here's a link https://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/. He has a tutorials section at the top and it covers IR range and brown outs be gone. Check those out.
The 4th question: the best options are El Mod (expensive, less than tamiya), Clark TK series boards or an IBU 2 ( less expensive but more involved to set up but not bad from my sources) I would do some research on those 3 and see what your comfortable with and remember there's lots of help on RCU and in the Detroit tank club The last 2 are reliable also.

Mike EOT
Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 AM
jjackso5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tankers, well Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great holiday season with friends and family. Maybe Santa brought you and new project too! Now that were a couple of weeks into the new year, what's everyone working on for this coming year? New projects, upgrading old projects, or just getting started? Please post what you're doing.
Those of you here in the Michigan area, and that have posted here, I'll be working on redeveloping the battle field in Brighton as soon as the snow leaves! We may also have another location in the Flint area this next year too! We'll keep you posted on both locations and possible upcoming gatherings.
Thank you to everyone that posted and/or responded to my post last year. Its great to hear from you and I hope we'll be able to meet and battle some this year. Yes, George, I know I'm always the target, but I've got moves!
Mike thank you for assisting with the information for Patrick for setting up his tank. Hope we'll see him out here too.
For now I'm just going to continue this original thread, but at some point, we'll start a new one, please stay tuned.
Wishing everyone a great New Year, and lots of time to build and run your tanks!
Happy Tanking,
Jim
The following users liked this post:
throwscoach (01-23-2020)