Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger 1 question

Old 10-20-2019, 08:48 AM
1qaz

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Tamiya Tiger 1 question

I have a quick question for all you Tamiya electronic experts. I am just finishing up a Tiger 1 and was curious if I could wire the two black boxes together so that they only run off of one battery. The DMD Control Unit & the DMD multi function unit each use a separate battery and I want to splice the power wires together so they share one common battery. has anybody done this? I realize the capacity will be only half of what the stock set-up will be & I don't really care as long as it runs for a reasonable time.
Another dilemma is how to get the battery in and out of the model, the top is held in place with two small countersunk screws that are covered up by the turret and if the turret is pointed straight ahead it will not come off! The only way to get the battery in and out is to park the tank with the turret off to the left so the retaining ears for the turret are lined up in the removal position, what to do?
I am sure there have been a million of these built and so with all the creative skills on RCU I am open to any ideas
Larry

Last edited by 1qaz; 10-20-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RC 2-Way Connector: 56014, Tamiya.

No need to cut and join the DMD MFU wires. Answer is yes, use this Tamiya part. Order the part 56014 from the AAF Museum. The part works for all the Tamiya WWII RC Tanks. Go to the AAF web site, find Shop, Tamiya rc tank parts and accessories and I found the part you want under Pershing. And good looking Tamiya Tiger I!

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 10-20-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Panther F

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The way the upper hull 'bends' in the center and with the turret tabs are at 12 and 7, I would do something with C4 and use a magnet there... maybe have those 3 screws as "locator pins". (drill out holes and glue in place on the hull)

I installed an Imperial Models Sturmtiger resin kit on a Tamiya TI back in 2005 (and just looked at the Tamiya assembly manual) and if I had as many mini magnets available back then it would have been so much easier.

Last edited by Panther F; 10-20-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:32 PM
1qaz

Thank you for the good info, and thank you for the compliments on the build. I am afraid I really enjoy the building much more than the electric stuff, I still need to get a Tamiya "apple" and install it so this thing will be IR ready.
I may just wait until I get to the AAF Museum to get my parts, I am not going to miss the last gathering of the year for the IR 1/16 tank crazies
Thanks again, Larry
Old 10-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1qaz View Post
Thank you for the good info, and thank you for the compliments on the build. I am afraid I really enjoy the building much more than the electric stuff, I still need to get a Tamiya "apple" and install it so this thing will be IR ready.
I may just wait until I get to the AAF Museum to get my parts, I am not going to miss the last gathering of the year for the IR 1/16 tank crazies
Thanks again, Larry
Yup. I like to build a little y harness with some extra leads to connect to a charging port also so i dont have to take the top off to charge the battery.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:16 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Shabbernigdo View Post
Yup. I like to build a little y harness with some extra leads to connect to a charging port also so i dont have to take the top off to charge the battery.
Tip: I would personally skip that lazy idea, best to remove the battery from the model to charge it, you donít want to burn your model and or house down. This was a popular charging idea years ago, until problems resulted.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:07 AM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post

Tip: I would personally skip that lazy idea, best to remove the battery from the model to charge it, you donít want to burn your model and or house down. This was a popular charging idea years ago, until problems resulted.
Eh ive been using NiCd and Nimh for about 20 years now and have only ever had 1 issue so i dont see it being much of a risk not to mention they charge right next to my desk where im at so its easy to get to them if anything thing does go south. : )
Old 10-22-2019, 04:30 AM
1qaz

I always remove the battery from my models when I'm done messing with them, not really for safety issues but I only have two batteries and 4 tank models I have been using the 5000 Mah 7.2 volt car battery which is a NiMh chemistry, I have not heard scary things about this type of battery.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default NiMh, mostly true.

Originally Posted by 1qaz View Post
I always remove the battery from my models when I'm done messing with them, not really for safety issues but I only have two batteries and 4 tank models I have been using the 5000 Mah 7.2 volt car battery which is a NiMh chemistry, I have not heard scary things about this type of battery.
...years ago, I was cautioned by the local rc tank club guys not to charge the tank battery in the rc tank. Probably had as much to do with the quality of battery chargers available at the time. I listened and stopped that practice. Still, battery swaps in Tamiya WWII rc tanks can be and remain a pain.
John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 10-22-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:39 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Fast battery swap for a Tamiya WWII rc tank; the Daryl Turned Custom Solution

Tamiya Jagdpanzer Lang.

Daryl Turnerís custom engineered, fast, battery swap solution for the Tamiya Lang: a hinged top deck.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 10-22-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default One issue...

Originally Posted by Shabbernigdo View Post
Eh ive been using NiCd and Nimh for about 20 years now and have only ever had 1 issue so i dont see it being much of a risk not to mention they charge right next to my desk where im at so its easy to get to them if anything thing does go south. : )
Your right, do not leave a charging battery unattended, though that “just one issue in 20 years statement” kinda says it all, don’t you think? That is all it takes, whatever the rc tank batteries chemistry is, bad stuff does happen.