Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New 1/16 Cromwell from Hooben

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New 1/16 Cromwell from Hooben

Old 12-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New 1/16 Cromwell from Hooben

Hooben announced new Cromwell in 1:16!
https://www.facebook.com/HoobenHobby...type=3&theater

Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Hooben announced the Abrams and the Leopard 2A4 back in April 2017 and we've not seen anyone get their hands on a kit yet.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe now we shall see something... maybe?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:40 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The Clark version of the Cromwell looks much better, but both have a reputation for missing release dates so my expectations are already low...
Old 12-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Onondaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting on the e-100 (preferably with the Krupp turret). Any day now..
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:41 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Well, i would say.... dont expect much in the model judging by the Fury EZ8 that FstTanks and I bashed up.
It is not near as strong or robust as A henglong tank, ezpecially their sherman.
Everything on it was different than any other brand of tanks. No commonality of parts at all, nothing, nothing will interchange except probably the tracks, which we put tamiya on it. There are no spare parts available and at this point, with the rear idler broken off, i am going to scrap the chass and put a tamiya chassis under the top half.
man I wish Henglong would make an EZ8. Their new standard on the newest tanks applied to a sherman with metal HVSS would probably kill the tamiya sherman market because thw henglong trannys are much stronger and better than the tamiya ones. I keep blowing the tamiya trannys, or having bent shafts(my own fault from rough handling on one or two occasions or poor packing in shipping when i buy a roller chassis second hand for a build)
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The proportions look iffy, turret too small and lower too high
Old 12-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Entirely too many red faces out there.... I told you guys years back to stop holding your breath for these things...!

I'd be happy if I could just get my mitts on an original Cromwell track link so I could send it over to Martin at Geiβwerk...

Jerry
Old 12-06-2019, 03:46 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes that is one of Hooben's secret projects - have known of it for a few months now. Hooben only jumped on this after hearing several of his dealers comment on Clark's plans. Been lobbying Feng for British tanks for years so finally he's gained interest.

That said, knowing the build quality, lack of metal suspension, all plastic construction, aversion to rubber tires, etc.. I'll be patient & wait for Clark's.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by herrmill
Yes that is one of Hooben's secret projects - have known of it for a few months now. Hooben only jumped on this after hearing several of his dealers comment on Clark's plans. Been lobbying Feng for British tanks for years so finally he's gained interest.

That said, knowing the build quality, lack of metal suspension, all plastic construction, aversion to rubber tires, etc.. I'll be patient & wait for Clark's.
Yeah I don't really quite get why he won't acquiesce to having rubber tires on his models. For the 1/10 scale stuff especially you just can't not have those Even I have to draw the line somewhere. I would have purchased his 1/10 Sherman by now if I knew for certain that rubber tires for the road wheels, idler and return rollers were there. A Cromwell would be the Bee's knees if was done right.

Jerry
Old 12-06-2019, 11:00 PM
herrmill

I gave up on their new 1/10 Hetzer once I discovered it was all plastic knowing their track record for upgrades. I have no clue how they think they can sell metal track for their 1/16 M4E8 & Tiger & think they don't have to develop metal sprockets & other upgrades. Its as if they want nothing more than to be Heng Long from 15 years ago
Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Tanque

I gave up on their new 1/10 Hetzer once I discovered it was all plastic knowing their track record for upgrades. I have no clue how they think they can sell metal track for their 1/16 M4E8 & Tiger & think they don't have to develop metal sprockets & other upgrades. Its as if they want nothing more than to be Heng Long from 15 years ago

Agree. I don't have the benefit of proximity to all these guys as you do but from what I've seen in China there's no shortage of talent there.
Competitively priced talent and materials to make molds, forms, CNC programming, dies and such using state of the art processes on a scale designed to keep per part costs down. Surely I'm missing something but his stuff is as you say Heng Long of years past. I have the T-55 and Elefants from them as well as the Maus and while the Maus is a better (mostly) executed product and metal vs the other two you'd expect each release to be better than the past as a manufacturer learns what works and 'hits their stride' so to speak. For me personally their 1/10 scale stuff has been a disappointment. I recall how 1/10 scale models of 40 years ago looked like generally with their 'stand off scale detail'; blurred accessories and attachments molded in place and while Hooben's aren't quite that bad they just don't have the level of detail they should. As I said in other threads; I could accept the detail the way it is if that was a mechanism to just get their product in front of the consumer with the option to buy upgrades when making the main purchase but that isn't the case. Perhaps that's Feng's original intent but whenever I asked about upgrades the standard reply was 'Why don't you just buy it now and get the upgrades when they're available'.

The upgrades I asked about two years ago are still vaporware....so I'll wait a bit longer. It's not like I don't have anything to work on.

I want to see someone's reaction to a Cromwell when they get it...

Jerry
Old 12-07-2019, 12:33 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

The 1/16 Fury is not worth what they are selling it for. The cheapest I saw them for last I looked was 300. Its toy quality or HL of 15 years ago as stated which is just about right. HL continues to advance the plastic tank market and while I like a metal chassis for my shermans, I do not for modern tanks and all that metal really aint necessary, and I despise a metal turret. Metal is not really bashable for modeling. The only redeaming part the hooben fury is the turret and its an odd one off barbet ring size so you really need to use their upper hull.
Once a company makes a dud like the fury and goes backward from where they were its hard to recover from. I know if I paid for the Hooben that FstTanks and I bashed up I would be upset with what I got having played with all brands of shermans.
They better work really hard to make this Cromwell something good because if it goes 20 feet and gets a rock stuck in it and breakes an idler people are gonna get really pissed.
In comparison, it took a 3 year old pushing a henglong sherman once the battery died, and a rock got caught in it,, to break off the idler mount. And I just grafted a mato adjustable one on in place to keep it going.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM
herrmill

Originally Posted by Tanque
Yeah I don't really quite get why he won't acquiesce to having rubber tires on his models. For the 1/10 scale stuff especially you just can't not have those Even I have to draw the line somewhere. I would have purchased his 1/10 Sherman by now if I knew for certain that rubber tires for the road wheels, idler and return rollers were there. A Cromwell would be the Bee's knees if was done right.

Jerry
If this isn't false advertising then I don't know what is.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/HOOBEN...2-4F3B5965119B
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Tanque

If this isn't false advertising then I don't know what is.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/HOOBEN...2-4F3B5965119B
I'm glad you pointed that out.

What, pray what does some (I added bold font) of this even mean?? Zimmerit on a Sherman; maybe a captured Sherman!

"HOOBEN 1:10 U.S. Fury M4A3E8 Sherman Medium Tank RTR Ready to Run(Painted and Assembled) Half Metal 6620F
  • Features: THIS IS RC RTR TANK , already assembled ,Ready To Run and basic painted Metal Gearbox.With All Metal 7-stage reduction Metal Gearbox,Durable to meet the test of harsh conditions,Hight-torque metal gearbox with self-lock one way transmission system Metal Chassis Metal running system
  • Twin 550 motor Precision machined aluminum gun barrel Metal suspension system for realistic running performance Durable nylon tracks for long running life Metal track for the real road feeling Electronic parts for the most realistic and precision driving and sound performance Soldiers and equipment kit Rubber tire road wheels
  • Split path Transmission,allows smooth power at both low and high speed. Gun 2-axis stabilizer Smoke generator,smoke simulation host speed completely Double power supply system,video part independent power supply Slip ring,Turret Unlimited rotation Easy upgrade to VS,FPV,VR,IR Version and Master Painting Camouflage & Zimmerit Multi-function VCU(Vehicle Control Unit) 12CH 2.4G RC,multi-function to control the tank(Professional mobile phone holder for easy upgrade to FPV
  • Functions: Forward reverse Regular turning Pivot turning Super pivot turning Turret rotation Barrel elevation Barrel recoil Camera system Smoke generator
  • Ignition sound Track running sound Engine sound START/SHUT DOWN ENGINE SOUND Main gun firing sound Shells sound Recoil sound Machine gun firing sound Turret rotating sound Barrel elevating sound Bugle sound TURRET ROTATING SOUND BARREL ELEVATING SOUMD LIGHTING EQUIPMENT FPV CAMERA SYSTEM SMOKE GENERATOR IR BATTLE SYSTEM "
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat were they smoking? I don't know what some of this is or is supposed to be. Maybe I misplaced the email that described these technical breakthroughs. I'm sorry to be so sarcastic but as you guys may recall I was really pumped when I heard Hooben was going in part 1/10 scale. This just sad...

Jerry
Old 12-07-2019, 05:10 PM
herrmill

BTW, another reason I passed on their new 1/10 Hetzer that was supposed to be release waaaaaaay back in April.... was told the sounds would initially be same as the Tiger but there'd be an upgrade.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:18 AM
Enzo_K

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish they make the 1/16th scale Hetzer instead.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:24 PM
herrmill

Don't wait for an RTR verson since you can get an excellent 3D printed Hetzer kit now. I'm getting Tomas' files for to print some parts

https://www.facebook.com/warprints/

Regarding Hooben, I went ahead & pulled the trigger on the 1/10 Hetzer & have to say, quite honestly, that by the time Im done with upgrades, the only thing remaining original will be the upper hull & barrel. First thing I did was bin their toy radio & board for Clark's TK80. Even the sound effects that come with it were underwhelming since they used their existing Tiger sounds for it coupled with a cheap speaker that one couldn't hear over the sound of the motors. At least now it sounds like a proper 38(t) Hetzer &, soon, will drive like one after I replace the drivetrain with FMP's DDGB.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Enzo_K

Don't wait for an RTR verson since you can get an excellent 3D printed Hetzer kit now. I'm getting Tomas' files for to print some parts

Regarding Hooben, I went ahead & pulled the trigger on the 1/10 Hetzer & have to say, quite honestly, that by the time Im done with upgrades, the only thing remaining original will be the upper hull & barrel. First thing I did was bin their toy radio & board for Clark's TK80. Even the sound effects that come with it were underwhelming since they used their existing Tiger sounds for it coupled with a cheap speaker that one couldn't hear over the sound of the motors. At least now it sounds like a proper 38(t) Hetzer &, soon, will drive like one after I replace the drivetrain with FMP's DDGB.
I heard about Warprints' 3D printed Hetzer. But their supply has been affected by the pandemic. And I don't have a 3D printer on my hands to printing parts for me.

Last edited by Enzo_K; 04-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Tanque

As you know I decided to spring for Hooben's upcoming 1/10 T-34 and I'm preparing to be underwhelmed. I've seen quite a few 1/10 models
in my tenure so I'm probably not going to tread lightly...

Jerry
The following users liked this post:
Markocaster (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:58 AM
herrmill

Originally Posted by Enzo_K
I heard about Warprints' 3D printed Hetzer. But their supply has been affected by the pandemic. And I don't have a 3D printer on my hands to printing parts for me.
Am certain the pandemic will be long behind us before any 1/16 RTR Hetzer comes along. Again, recommend Thomas' excellent 3DP kit once its available.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:57 PM
Enzo_K

Am certain the pandemic will be long behind us before any 1/16 RTR Hetzer comes along. Again, recommend Thomas' excellent 3DP kit once its available.
One good thing to have big manufacture to make the model is you will get easy access to replacement parts. I've never used 3D printed tracks before, have no idea how long it can run, and whether it is reliable or not.
Another thing I am not certain about Thomas' 3D printed Hetzer is its gearbox. To me feel like it makes a lot of noise. I'd prefer steel gearbox instead. I will have to talk to Warprint about this and see if I can swap out the gearbox.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 PM
herrmill

Recommend asking that directly on his new Hetzer post.

BTW, the track on Hooben's Hetzer is wearing unbelievably fast after little time on hard surfaces & the entire suspension is, for the most part, 3DP & quite weak - one of the idlers broke within 10 minutes of the initial run after my son tapped it from the rear with my HG Hummer. I had expected the shafts to be brass but its all plastic, PLA from the looks of it - par for the course given what has already been seen of their 1/16 Sherman & Tiger. Replacement idlers received are of nylon so they have apparently learned from their mistake but the overall build is more toy grade which is quite disappointing given the scale & price its selling for.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Enzo_K

Recommend asking that directly on his new Hetzer post.

BTW, the track on Hooben's Hetzer is wearing unbelievably fast after little time on hard surfaces & the entire suspension is, for the most part, 3DP & quite weak - one of the idlers broke within 10 minutes of the initial run after my son tapped it from the rear with my HG Hummer. I had expected the shafts to be brass but its all plastic, PLA from the looks of it - par for the course given what has already been seen of their 1/16 Sherman & Tiger. Replacement idlers received are of nylon so they have apparently learned from their mistake but the overall build is more toy grade which is quite disappointing given the scale & price its selling for.
I replaced the stock tracks on my Hooben Ferdinand with Arkmodel metal tracks. I had no issue with that what so ever.
I think both driving and Idler shaft on my Ferdinand are metal.(and driving and idler wheels as well) I may have to take a deeper look into it.
Overall, I'm pretty ok with the Hooben Ferdinand RTR. So if they make a 1/16 scale Hertzer with the same quality, I will take it no doubts.
Also, I got lazy over time to build the entire tank by myself. lol. So if someone offers me an RTR tank with good quality. Why not? lol

Last edited by Enzo_K; 04-14-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.