Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need Membership help 1/16 Walker Bulldog Tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need Membership help 1/16 Walker Bulldog Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:55 PM
George Jure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Membership help 1/16 Walker Bulldog Tank

Hello

I need the membership`s help. Any one have a 1/16 Walkers Bulldog tank?

I am scratch building a 1/16 version of the Assault Amphibious Vehicle (AAVP-7A1)

I plan on using the Road wheels and sprockets from the Walker Bulldog BUT I would like to see how the wheel support arms are attached to the tank`s body and how the suspension springs etc. are attached to the body.

Can anyone take a few up close pictures to show how those parts are attached to the side of the tank? I don`t need to see how the road wheels go on.

Please let me know if you can help and if it is O.K here. it would be BEST to send to my main email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance for your help.

George
Old 12-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey George, I happen to have an M-41 project in the wings for a swap to metal suspension and roadwheels. The only problem is that I may not get to that in time to do you any good, but when I do the swap I plan to make a video and get lots of still photos of the swap. I can try a few photos now but I'm not sure I can get what you need without taking anything apart, and I'd rather not do that until I'm ready to do the whole project.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Here are a few photos. The shock mounts to the suspension arm and hull of the tank. The shock works as the only suspension spring. The control arm simply uses the stock HL screw to attach to the tank.

Super simple design easy to install and maintenance. These are photos are of the all metal suspension arms, shocks and road wheels on one of my M41s.

Shock attaches to control arm and work as both shock and suspension spring.

Stock HL suspension screw mounts arm to lower hull.

Shock mounts to side hull with simple tension pin or screw.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:48 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Do the non-shock sprung wheels use torsion springs like the HL Abrams (IE: round spring under the hull mounting screw)?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:19 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by tankme
Do the non-shock sprung wheels use torsion springs like the HL Abrams (IE: round spring under the hull mounting screw)?
On the M41 there are NO “torsion” springs under the hull mounted screws. The M41 relies solely on the shocks to control all suspension arm movement.

There are NO non-shock sprung wheels on the M41 other then the fixed idlers and fixed return rollers.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-28-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:15 PM
George Jure

Thank You for your reply and Help. The pictures are helpful BUT to be honest. I am NEW to this model tank so I am having trouble figuring what angles the picture are from. Could I see pictures of the tank in it`s resting position showing the suspension etc. How does it ALL attach to the tank hull from the side or any part on the bottom of the hull? Also how are the rollers attached?

Thanks Again for your help.
George
Old 12-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Fsttanks

Ok here are a few more photos that might help you further.

The return rollers ride on a simple shaft pressure fit into their positions on the hull.

Side view of M41. Note this tank runs T84 tracks and M26 sprockets other then that there are no changes to the suspension or road wheels.

Closer look at the side.

Bottom view of tank. Front is to the left.

Closer look at the suspension from the bottom side. Front of tank is to the left.

Blue indicates top mounting point for shocks, red indicates mounting point for return rollers and yellow indicates mounting point for control arms. Front of tank is to left.

Close up view of the mounting points. Front of tank is to left.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-28-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 PM
George Jure

Wow those pictures Are Great! Now I see what has to be done and how ALL came together on the walker.Thanks for your help. Now I have to figure out how to create the bottom hull attachment point for the suspension arm.

Thanks again for the help.
George
Old 12-29-2019, 08:19 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

You shouldnt have to do that unless you are modifying the suspension design. The arm just screws into the hull, the shock with it spring attaches from the hull to the arm and holds the arm in place and allows it to be sprung up and down. If you are going to modify the design to get rid of the shocks, you should not use the m41 hull, you should use a different variant that uses the coil spring tortion fake out set up.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:28 PM
George Jure

Hi RichJohnson.

I am not doing any work on a H.L Walker Hull. I am scratch building another craft BUT I just wanted to use the Walker Bulldog plastic tracks, road wheels, return wheels and suspension. I just wanted to know how the suspension was actually installed on the Walker so I can copy that mounting system for my build. Now I see it and understand how it works and what needs to be built up for support on my scratch hull.

George
Old 12-29-2019, 08:16 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

You could get a lower hull and use the sides that have all the mounting points on them and build the sides into your model
Old 12-29-2019, 08:37 PM
George Jure

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
You could get a lower hull and use the sides that have all the mounting points on them and build the sides into your model
Can`t do that because my scratch build actually has more wheels than the tank. With these pictures I know see how they are attached. Would anyone know the distance between mounting points, the ones circles in different colors?

George
Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Fsttanks

Rich has a good point about using loaner hull sides. Just so you know the Heng Long Pershing mostly uses the exact same suspension parts, road wheels and mounting arrangements as the M41 but with six road wheels vs the five on the M41. It also has an active front idler wheel matted to the #1 road wheel. It sounds complicated but it is a really simple setup and would only enhance your project vehicles performance.

The Pershing with M41 sprockets and a few more track links can run M41 tracks and vis versa the M41 with Pershing sprockets can run Pershing compatibly tracks as seen above in my prior photos.

Take a a look at the HL Pershing hull it might work as Rich described unless you need seven road wheels.

Here is a photo of my Pershing without tracks.

Pershing use suspension lay out that is mostly M41 but with 6 road wheels vs 5.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-29-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:14 PM
George Jure

Hi Yes 6 wheels per side plus the idler and sprocket. So far been looking for the wheels and shocks and arms, plastic and used or new. Might take a look for a Pershing lower hull empty, new or used.

Would anyone know the specs. for All the screws used to put the suspension on the Pershing as well as attaching the wheels tot he suspension? Sizes, Type, Quantity?

Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 PM
George Jure

Hello
Might as well ask here, does anyone have a plastic lower hull with JUST the tracks,wheels, suspension ALL plastic mounted without the electronics, transmissions that you would sell?
I`ve been to MATO Canada and sent them an email because I saw one there on line without the tracks But everythnig else. Not sure BUT to ship it to me, I live NOT too far from them, about 1/2 hr. drive. It is MORE than doubled the price. Crazy.
I asked about FTF purchase. Waiting to hear back????

George
Old 12-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Fsttanks

Aliexpress.com

Search “Heng Long Tank parts” and the specific model. You can find every HL part there with little effort and reasonable prices.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:24 PM
George Jure

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
Aliexpress.com

Search “Heng Long Tank parts” and the specific model. You can find every HL part there with little effort and reasonable prices.

O.K first, Thanks fsttanks, You have been VERY Helpful!!!

I was just at the site you listed the link to and I checked BUT they don`t have the bare plastic lower hull without the transmission. Also believe it or NOT MATO Canada is cheaper in price BUT their shipping is bad. I would say something more colour full but admin. would sensor it.
ALSO I have made up my mind to go after a Pershing plastic lower hull with the parts listed above.

So any help there, have a look in your piles, let me know please.
Thanks Again to ALL for your help.
George
Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 AM
Crius

Try this, George

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3238...5eca156etke0lc

about 30 bucks, then another 9 for the tracks (you might have to buy two of those)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9375...5eca156eqUNy3T

Ali express is cool, but you have to get a bit more specific and find TankZhang Store. He's got just about every HL part there is.Shipping for the hull is $16, but it's a bit slow from China, probably at least two weeks.

Oh yeah, the Heng long M-26 Pershing is also known as the Snow Leopard.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:37 AM
Crius

One more thing, if you're looking for parts in Canada try the ebay seller RC Dynasty. That's mato on ebay, here's the link

https://www.ebay.com/str/thercdynasty

I think this is the hull you looked at and you're right, that's an outrageous price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HL-Plastic-...IAAOSwf31bVXtt

I think I'd go to tankzhang (formerly known as "Heng Long's Store") and wait out the two or three weeks for it to get here.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:15 PM
George Jure

Hey Thanks Crius

I went to Mato Toys Canada, Local Canadian, Ontario Seller of H.L. They have exactly what I want but their shipping to me in the same area, 1/2hr. away by car, excuse me sucks. It makes the total double the price.
I asked about in person pickup, No reply yet.

Looking for a used unit as well. Keeping ALL lines open.
Thanks again for the help.
George