Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen or Torro King Tiger?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen or Torro King Tiger?

Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Artemis2020

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taigen or Torro King Tiger?

I’m thinking about getting a King Tiger, but I’m not a fan of the Taigen plastic lower hull. I can’t seem to find a picture of the Torro hull by itself, but it says it’s metal. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. Also, does anyone use the classifieds section on here? I’m thinking about selling a Metal Origins Puma kit to fuel this endeavor. The Puma is super cool, but I don’t think I have enough tanks yet.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 PM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Taigen and Torro are the same. Taigen does not have any plastic hulls anymore. The newest king tiger sold by Taigen/Torro has a metal hull. Older models were simply repainted Heng Long. But this has not been the case for some time.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 PM
Artemis2020

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense now that you pointed it out they look identical. My Tiger 1 and Panther G I just bought from Taigen 2 months ago have plastic hulls with a metal tray insert. I was hoping for something like the Taigen Panzer IV that has has a complete metal lower hull.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:20 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Be careful what you wish for,
In my humble opinion the Taigen Panzer 4 Metal Hull is a disgrace,
The rear roller is in line with the leading three other rollers when it should be 3 to 5 mm lower,
The rear Idler mounts have to undergo severe surgery to fit Track Tensioner's and lateral thinking is needed to fit Gearbox Output Shaft bearings.
And don't anyone go rushing to find an Asiatam Panzer 4 Metal Hull to use as an alternative,
The faults on that lump of **** are legendary..
What makes it more puzzling is that the latest Taigen Panzer 4 metal Turret is a work of art rivaling Tamiya's quality.
The following users liked this post:
Artemis2020 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:06 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Shaun (sp?), you might want to take another look at the P4. The two I just bought have the rear return roller properly lowered, but it still doesn't have a slope on the back deck.

As for King Tigers, if it says IMEX on the box there's only two different types, the Porsche turret and the henschel turret. The henschel turret has an all-metal lower, and the Porsche turret has an all-plastic lower.
The following users liked this post:
jarndice (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:22 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi Crius,
I remember when Erik at IMEX announced the introduction of the Taigen Panzer 4 Metal Hull.
I also remember his assurance that the rear roller would be lowered,
All I can say is what I know and that is that the Taigen Panzer 4 Metal Hull I bought has all its rollers in line and that Taigen Panzer 4 Metal Hulls that www.rctank.de/ and www.forgebeartanks.com are selling still have the rollers in line and you still cannot fit track tensioners without surgery.
So if the North American market is getting a modified Metal Hull care of Erik's intervention I wish I had known earlier so that I could have bought a few from him no matter what the postage.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Erik insisted on the return roller fix and I know that their tanks were held up a little bit because of it. I don't know if anyone besides imex has that last roller lowered properly or not, but they have it for sure.