Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya M551 Sheridan trials course and drive review

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya M551 Sheridan trials course and drive review

Old 02-18-2020, 01:53 PM
  #26  
Panther F
 
Panther F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 9,570
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Pretty neat, thanks for the link! That's when you 'grocery list' things you need to make up for the shipping.

I searched forever to find some 1/16 scale chainlink fencing to make my own but moved on. Just another thing to glue back on!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:06 PM
  #27  
pitstain
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Pretty neat, thanks for the link! That's when you 'grocery list' things you need to make up for the shipping.

I searched forever to find some 1/16 scale chainlink fencing to make my own but moved on. Just another thing to glue back on!
Yeah I added a few other things to the recent order to make the shipping less painful, but should have added more as my impulses on eBay have enlarged my build queue by yet another as yet to be disclosed Tamiya F/O kit.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:51 PM
  #28  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

PART 3:

Well the Tamiya M551 Sheridan will be heading for its first official IR battle day this Sun Feb. 23 in San Diego for the “battle season opener” being put on by the 619th Tank Battalion / San Diego Tank Club.

With their huge field, natural terrain obstacles, soft fine soil and extend engagement ranges the Sheridan should get a solid battle shake down. I will be reporting back on it’s performance or if you are in the SoCal come down and watch or join in.

** JUST GOT WORD THE EVENT WAS RAiNED OUT** Looks like I will be putting off PART 3 for another week when LA TANKS has their March battle day.

Below are a few photo of a new copula I set up specifically for use in IR battling. I deleted the forward “bullet shields and added a plastic turret basket similar to the one mentioned/shown prior in the review to hold the copula in place. I righteously tested to ensure that even as pictured there were NO issues with receiving hit from the forward 45 degs. and all angles that correspond with the Tamiya hit protocols from 0-75+ ft. Testing was done with the help of a Tamiya M51/M4, Tamiya Abrams and 6.0 HL T72.



IR specific copula installed in turret with standard static/general running copula in the right foreground.



IR specific copula install on turret. NO issues with IR beam interface caused by MG or hatches.



Since there is NO more Tank Gallery to post photos in and I liked this photo, I though I would share it here.


Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-22-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:09 AM
  #29  
Panther F
 
Panther F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 9,570
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

That looks great and good luck Sunday!

Congrats to you guys for powering through the build and finishing them.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:16 PM
  #30  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

ADDENDUM TO TRACK ISSUES:

A little update on the track issues being seen. Well so far I have had FOUR link break and in a relatively short order of time with two more ready to fail! The Sheridan has set is a new record for ANY of my tanks. Because of this I decided to "power the Sheridan way back" by setting up the "dual rate" option for it on my DX8. I set the dual rate "froward" down to 35% and reverse to 50%. This still makes the Sheridan faster then any stock Tamiya WWII tank, but nowhere near as fast as the Tamiya Abrams, Type 10 or Leopard 2. The new power curve was optimized for IR battling in closing tight terrain and city scape fighting. It also was tested on my trials course with no lose to the Sheridan's overall obstacle conquering abilities. I am hoping the new power curve is less stressful on the tracks and the issues of pins walking out and links breaking is greatly reduced.

The only negative with the new dual rate power curve is when the Sheridan takes an IR hit. The speed reduction for the damage is too great. Once hit I will have to flick the dual rate switch back to normal setting. A small price to pay if the tracks hold up better then they have been prior.

Following post below, shows a few photos of the tracks issues.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-26-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:30 PM
  #31  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default


Pin starting to walk out after 5 min of running.



Pin starting to walk out. Also notice the link is split. It is a good idea to stop an check for signs like this every few minutes of running the Sheridan.



Split link end. This link will fail soon.



Here is another split link end.



This link split and broke prior. So I am reusing it for testing out a larger pin to see what happens. So far it has been holding perfectly. The Tamiya SS pins are REALLY slick and combined with the slick nylon of the link ends, once the split happens simply slid/pop out easily. The larger NON SS pin does not seem to want to slip out as easily.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-26-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:46 PM
  #32  
RichJohnson
 
RichJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,993
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Dang, those tracks are worn out already and thrashed!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:18 PM
  #33  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RichJohnson View Post
Dang, those tracks are worn out already and thrashed!
They don’t look as bad in person...LoL. I suspect Tamiya used a softer nylon on these tracks.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:48 AM
  #34  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elgin, TX
Posts: 582
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Well now they look like every Sheridan track I've ever seen in real life. Every one of them has had the rubber pads worn down to the metal track.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:54 PM
  #35  
pitstain
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
They don’t look as bad in person...LoL. I suspect Tamiya used a softer nylon on these tracks.
I mentioned the spare links seeming ominous in my unboxing video, and how tiny and delicate the stock tracks were, but damn I underestimated how frail they are. Thank goodness mine will forever be a shelf queen, otherwise we need to mass email Kenny Kong to do a set of metal tracks and possibly idler wheel for this otherwise great little AFV.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:13 PM
  #36  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pitstain View Post
I mentioned the spare links seeming ominous in my unboxing video, and how tiny and delicate the stock tracks were, but damn I underestimated how frail they are. Thank goodness mine will forever be a shelf queen, otherwise we need to mass email Kenny Kong to do a set of metal tracks and possibly idler wheel for this otherwise great little AFV.
Don't be hesitant to drive your Sheridan it is a good running tank and fun to drive. Knowing about the track weaknesses I am experiencing will hopefully help keep you and others from breaking yours.

The tracks just cannot handle the power being supplied to them even with a basic 7.2v NiMH battery. Powering down / "governing" the motors using "dual rates" on my remote has seemed to help as I have not broken a track in a few days now....LOL

I would caution anyone running a 7.2v NiMH and especially a 7.4v Lipo or 7.4v Li-ion battery to be "light fingered" on the throttle as the Lipo and Li-ion are putting out an average of 8.4v and without "dual rates" to help "govern" the power flow, are going to break tracks at an alarming rate.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:40 PM
  #37  
pitstain
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
Don't be hesitant to drive your Sheridan it is a good running tank and fun to drive. Knowing about the track weaknesses I am experiencing will hopefully help keep you and others from breaking yours.

The tracks just cannot handle the power being supplied to them even with a basic 7.2v NiMH battery. Powering down / "governing" the motors using "dual rates" on my remote has seemed to help as I have not broken a track in a few days now....LOL

I would caution anyone running a 7.2v NiMH and especially a 7.4v Lipo or 7.4v Li-ion battery to be "light fingered" on the throttle as the Lipo and Li-ion are putting out an average of 8.4v and without "dual rates" to help "govern" the power flow, are going to break tracks at an alarming rate.
What you are doing is what we in the tech industry refer to as "Beta testing", this should be done before production to determine if there are any flaws, bugs, weaknesses, etc. that need to be redesigned before releasing on the unsuspecting public....

Conversely I fired off an email to Kenny Kong to see what level of interest is needed for him to do his thing and make tracks for us, I would assume between this and the other forums as well as the general # of completed ebay sales a run of a hundred or two set would be viable for him.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:52 PM
  #38  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pitstain View Post
What you are doing is what we in the tech industry refer to as "Beta testing", this should be done before production to determine if there are any flaws, bugs, weaknesses, etc. that need to be redesigned before releasing on the unsuspecting public....

Conversely I fired off an email to Kenny Kong to see what level of interest is needed for him to do his thing and make tracks for us, I would assume between this and the other forums as well as the general # of completed ebay sales a run of a hundred or two set would be viable for him.
I feel like a beta tester with the Sheridan...

If Kenny makes tracks for the Sheridan I will be in for a set or two!!!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:51 PM
  #39  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 946
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Read the kit idler instructions, same old same Tamiya old

Hard running or not: Your Sheridan tracks appear OEM material defective. Show Tamiya USA and get their feedback. Can’t hurt.



The Tamiya Way! Replaces the kit tracks with new kit tracks! LOL. If you can find them...

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:38 PM
  #40  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Got the Tamiya Sheridan out fighting other tanks today at the LA Tank clubs March 2020 battle. Drove it A LOT using the powered down “dual rate” setting for it on my DX8. It ran and fought great. To my surprise it had no track issues!!!! Here is to hoping the lower power proves to be the “ticket” to a longer and more reliable track life for the Sheridan.

Here is a photo from the battle day. Shown below the Tamiya Sheridan is engaging a HL T34. For more photos of the battle day see my Instagram @ fsttanks



Tamiya M551 Sheridan engages HL T34-85 at LA Tanks March 2020 battle day.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 03-01-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 AM
  #41  
pitstain
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Saw a Facebook announcement from Impact that they have gotten alot of requests to make M551 tracks and idlers, but WILL NOT BE DOING SO.....they are done with the RC business.

Kenny Kong replied to me the following:

Hi Ian,

I did plan to make tracks for the 1/16 M551 last year. I have already bought the tank but the business was bad and the tracks sales was slow. It forced me to delay the plan. If there are enough interest for the tracks, I will make them again. Your feed back is very important to me.


Thanks

Kenny

Everyone please help me in emailing him at bigtank2@hotmail.com
I told Him of Impact's statement and he will have no competition, if all of the Sheridan owners start dropping him emails it may help!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.