Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank Biathlon

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tank Biathlon

While channel surfing today I ran across Tank Biathlon on PLUTO Military channel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_biathlon

Pretty neat idea for RC tanks of all scales... even IR and Air Soft could compete together as no one would be sent home. Targets to 'hit', obstacles, bridges etc. Might even improve those driving skills instead of sniping all afternoon!
The following users liked this post:
jjackso5 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:33 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

We did this in San Diego a couple of years ago. We called it the Tank Trials.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmn7WbsJ
The following users liked this post:
jjackso5 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:02 AM
jjackso5

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rich, so what were to rules, or guidelines you used? How did you set up the shooting drill, if at all? Or did you use this event as more of "driver training"? I could see that a simple course could really help new tankers get familiar with their new tanks and learn how to drive and operate them safely to prevent damage to their or other teams tanks during battles.

Thank you,

Happy Tanking,

Jim
Old 02-20-2020, 03:44 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjackso5
Rich, so what were to rules, or guidelines you used? How did you set up the shooting drill, if at all? Or did you use this event as more of "driver training"? I could see that a simple course could really help new tankers get familiar with their new tanks and learn how to drive and operate them safely to prevent damage to their or other teams tanks during battles.

Thank you,

Happy Tanking,

Jim
I attended that event and it was fun time. I hope SD Tanks does one again this summer. The course obstacles were not hard, but it was long. The average tank took 4-5 minutes to complete it and the faster tanks (scale speeds of 35-45mph) could run it in 3 minutes and under with a skilled driver. There were IR target and if memory serves there was a time penalty for bypassing them and or bypassing any of the obstacles.

Driving skills was challenged because you could not follow your tank around the course. Instead you had to drive from a stationary “box” which placed your tank some distance from you while on most parts of the course or out of eye sight as it drove behind a buildings.

The key to the course was a reliable tank that does not through tracks turning in soft soil, was moderately fast (scale 30mph) and driven with care not rushing through the course. The first few entries that ran the course showed what not to do and what to do which was a great benefit to those that followed.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:21 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Some guys in Asia (Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand) have been running RC tanks in this format for the past two to three years.

Whereas the real biathlon focuses mainly on maneuver at speed and gunnery, RC biathlon seems to allow more leeway in terms of FPV vs. third person, choice of ammunition (IR beams or BB), speed circuit vs. rockcrawling terrain, etc.

Personally I see it as a more inclusive (read: cheaper) way for newcomers to the hobby of getting involved with other people right from the get-go, instead of having to spend large sums of money to get it up to IR battling standard.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, guys we have been running this since 2009... having invented the name as Tank Biathlon also in 2009. In 2012 mil.officials in Russia have decided to reinstated the sort of mil-competition also taken the name we have been using since 2009. Hah! Ok, no prob on this. We re-named our competition as RC Tank Threeathlon, considering three parts of it: Speed, Maneuvering and Target.

We have Passive Treeathlon and Active Threeathlon. Passive means that the target cannot shoot back, active means that you can even not reach or pass through the half of the distance. If you go to our facebook page you can see plenty of photos there and video as well. If not, write here i will share the links.