Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Parts Reliabilty!

Old 02-24-2020, 03:05 PM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parts Reliabilty!

can anybody tell me where I can actually get Taigen parts reliably? I'm fed up with Taigen.. It's always the same thing with these people.. Every time you want a part all you get is "NOT IN STOCK NOT IN STOCK NOT IN STOCK".. Lousy way to run a company.. I've dealt with numerous companies in my lifetime hobby-wise, and have NEVER seen this.. Parts availability is a huge issue to hobbyists..

I'm not interested in hearing from the fanboys who would defend the company with their dying breath.. I just want parts when they are needed. I pay for parts, not excuses.. It's frustrating when you need something, and people just give you excuses constantly.. Its no wonder many of my friends have walked away from the hobby.. They all have the same complaint.. And it's always the same company they complain about..

Sorry for the rant, but it is what it is..

Last edited by gp100; 02-24-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:12 PM
Fsttanks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on the part(s) you are looking for keep in mind Taigen uses A LOT of Heng Long parts. I have been mixing and matching Taigen and Heng Long parts for a long while now. So if Taigen doesn’t have the part in stock take a look at the corresponding Heng Long part.

The following users liked this post:
gp100 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 03:23 PM
gp100

thanks.. Tried that as well. They were even worse on out of stock parts on the taigen website.. Taigen doesn't have much on there for HL..
Old 02-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Fsttanks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gp100 View Post
thanks.. Tried that as well. They were even worse on out of stock parts on the taigen website.. Taigen doesn't have much on there for HL..
Look elsewhere for HL parts like Aliexpress.com, EBay or Tucan Hobbies. IMEX/Taigen is horrible for parts. Most folks find other suppliers.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:07 PM
jarndice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think 1/16 r/c Tank spare parts are in short supply you won't have to wait long (sic) before almost every product and spares emanating from the PRC will be almost impossible to find,
.Chinese industry shuts down over the Chinese New year period and every year we suffer a shortage of Tanks and spares but Chinese industry did not return to work this year because the Government told them to stay closed,.
Which means almost all Chinese industry output has been desperately affected by the Covid19 virus.
We will now discover just how much of a grip the Chinese have on the day to day activities that we have taken for granted these last 25 years.
If this Virus does go global and is declared by the WHO to be a Pandemic then I suggest you start thinking of more important issues than R/C Tanking because it won't just be Chinese industry that shuts down.
The last Major Global Pandemic in the latter stages of WW1 killed billions of people.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:21 PM
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on that note...try aliexpress and then sterilize the parts once you get them.

They usually have small bits that you have to buy as part of a set elsewhere.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:20 PM
cleong

Even with Tamiyas I make it a habit to stash my own spares based on my experience over the years:
  • Tamiya Battle Units - there was a global drought of TBUs about 6-7 years back and prices on eBay spiked about 50% over regular prices;
  • Gearbox parts - Some are salvaged from other broken gearboxes, but in the case of the Leopard-type transmission, you can buy spares. I keep two sets. For recoil, rotation and elevation gearboxes, they are available from Tamiya's craft construction series.
  • Detail parts - keep your sprues
Thus, the rule of thumb for me is to have my own parts depot. Otherwise, have many tanks so there'll always be a couple that are serviceable.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:21 PM
cleong

Originally Posted by gp100 View Post
can anybody tell me where I can actually get Taigen parts reliably?
More to the point, what's broken? I am sure the guys here can show you alternative sources.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by jarndice View Post
If you think 1/16 r/c Tank spare parts are in short supply you won't have to wait long (sic) before almost every product and spares emanating from the PRC will be almost impossible to find,
.Chinese industry shuts down over the Chinese New year period and every year we suffer a shortage of Tanks and spares but Chinese industry did not return to work this year because the Government told them to stay closed,.
Which means almost all Chinese industry output has been desperately affected by the Covid19 virus.
We will now discover just how much of a grip the Chinese have on the day to day activities that we have taken for granted these last 25 years.
If this Virus does go global and is declared by the WHO to be a Pandemic then I suggest you start thinking of more important issues than R/C Tanking because it won't just be Chinese industry that shuts down.
The last Major Global Pandemic in the latter stages of WW1 killed billions of people.
^ This. Always slow for everything around this time of the year then pretty much the whole city is shut down atm due to the virus. Then compile whenever we are allowed to open it has to be in stages, then we have to fight with everyone trying to ship everything over that was missed..... It is a heck of a time. Also we have a global panic that is already starting to happen and it makes shipping even worse. Trust me, I have a TON of orders and containers are backed up everywhere and my life is no easier. As you can tell lots vendors are in the same place. I was speaking with some international dealers this weekend as well which are all feeling the pain. It sucks, I agree 100%, but there is nothing we can do atm until the Chinese government allows the factories to open. Other than that we just have to sit back and wait.

Remember you can always message me on the site too. Just because I don't have it in stock doesn't mean I don't have one or two in the back for repairs, replacements, or requests like this. I can't promise I can find it but I'll sure try and even extra hard if you let me know you are a RCU member. I'll pull parts off my own tanks for RCU members no matter who you are if I have it.

*also on a side note, it is MUCH worse than you hear. i've seen some crazy stuff over the last few weeks via wechat with our partners. all industries are going to be effected, even the PS5 and Xbox releases might be effected and they dwarf movie totals worldwide. think about that and then the small factories that make things like rc tanks. everyone is going to feel it this year, no matter what you do really*
Old 02-26-2020, 08:53 AM
pitstain

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have already had a tough time getting deliveries from Hong Kong, etc. packages will just sit at customs for 10-14 days before they forward to the destination post office.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Crius

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure where you are, but in Detroit customs is fairly quick coming from the east coast, but if it has to go through Chicago forget about it. I've had stuff sit down there for six weeks, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

As for parts availability, I'm not exactly a fan-boy, but I've known Erik for seven years now and I can tell you from first hand observation that when it comes to keeping parts in stock, in the immortal words of AC/DC, I tell ya folks, it's harder than it looks. Erik has to anticipate what he'll need in advance, and then it can take months for the container to get here. The corona virus is only going to make things worse. But if you think about it, compared to 20 years ago we have it pretty damn good. You can find anything, and I do mean anything, on the web and shipping has gotten much, much faster. I can remember when getting parts meant finding the ad in FineScale Modeler or Model Airplane news, mailing them a check, and four to six weeks for delivery was the standard. We truly live in a golden age for RC, so maybe we should stop once in a while to remember that.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Originally Posted by jarndice View Post
That is a little exaggeration "Spanish flu infected 500 million people around the world, or about 27% of the then world population of between 1.8 and 1.9 billion, including people on remote Pacific islands and in the Arctic. The death toll is estimated to have been 40 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history."

PS. We still don't know what part is broken
Old 02-27-2020, 05:29 AM
gp100

These are the parts I need at the moment.. Nothing is broken right now, but I'm currently rebuilding another tank..

1 pair of solid metal tracks for the mid/late version Tiger 1. ($55.99)
1 Tiger 1 early/mid metal drive idler wheel set ($13.59)
1 complete set of metal wheels (painted/unpainted/Don't care) with axles ($55.99)
Tiger 1 metal suspension arms for the metal Tiger 1 ($7.99)
Tiger 1 metal idler wheel arms ($6.40)
Tiger 1 Torsion bars (full set) (Unknown price)
Full set of Tiny set screws for the road wheels

Thanks.

Side note:

Erik,

I don't blame you for the shortage of parts personally.. I just wish we could bring this manufacturing back to the U.S. It's frustrating to be at the mercy of a Chinese factory.. Hell, even if I had to pay more for American made parts, I would gladly shut up and do so, just so I can support an American paycheck.. Not only would we be supporting fellow Americans, But parts would be a hell of a lot easier and faster to source as well.. I realize that it is often cheaper to get parts made in China even with shipping.. But we are way too reliant on a foreign country that seems to own our ass manufacturing-wise and financially.. The Corona virus is a prime example of why we can't afford to put all our eggs in one basket like we have done.. We need to bring these manufacturing jobs home where we can rely on ourselves..

Sorry for the political rant..

Last edited by gp100; 02-27-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Some of those parts you can buy in Europe, i.e.
https://www.rctank.de/TRACKS-/-WHEELS-/-GEARBOXES
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c2/Tiger_I.html
Old 02-27-2020, 01:34 PM
cliff1959

I'm always happy to pay a little more for parts that I can get in my own Country, parts that come from China, especially in car restoration, are just a joke. You would think that if you were going to manufacture a part it would, at least, match the original!
The following users liked this post:
gp100 (03-01-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Imex-Erik

I'm gonna head home for lunch to grab the wheels (I have a few T1s at the house for testing) but I'm pretty sure I have all of that Give me an hour or two and I'll get you a link to it all. I have it all unpainted as well except for the hubcaps for the T1, I only could scrounge a painted set (I have both early or late w/e you want) and the wheels while unpainted may have a bit of dirt on them but I'll replace the tires with all new ones first. I live about a half hour away from work so it takes me a bit to get there and back but I'll have this up shortly. I've told you guys many times I will do whatever I can for my RCU members, you guys have been there since the beginning and more and always give me great feedback. I'm happy to do what I can for you guys.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:02 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik View Post
I'm gonna head home for lunch to grab the wheels (I have a few T1s at the house for testing) but I'm pretty sure I have all of that Give me an hour or two and I'll get you a link to it all. I have it all unpainted as well except for the hubcaps for the T1, I only could scrounge a painted set (I have both early or late w/e you want) and the wheels while unpainted may have a bit of dirt on them but I'll replace the tires with all new ones first. I live about a half hour away from work so it takes me a bit to get there and back but I'll have this up shortly. I've told you guys many times I will do whatever I can for my RCU members, you guys have been there since the beginning and more and always give me great feedback. I'm happy to do what I can for you guys.
I've got a better idea Erik, go work for Tamiya and get them to put out a new tank every year and it be something everyone desperately wants! LOL j/k keep doing what you're doing, you are one of the best in the biz!
Old 02-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Imex-Erik

Got it all except unpainted hubcaps Those seem to go fast around here. I sent you a PM with a link to the site for just you too, check your RCU PM for that.

Since we distribute all over the US and the world we have to stock some parts for the dealers just in case something happens they have a part or two to get access to immediately. I wish I could just list everything but we also have multiple sites and places we sell as well which can make inventory off a bit as not all of them offer integration services. I am trying to remedy this actually now, I'm currently rebuilding the IMEX and Taigen sites to add a bunch of new features and hopefully loyalty rewards and such too. If there are some features you want to see implemented feel free to message me (on our site please, RCU message system is not very reliable) and I'll do what I can.

I also wish we could bring more manufacturing back to the US, but it is extremely expensive to do so (which doesn't rule it out, just have to choose wisely!). We have a machine shop next door we have worked with for 10+ years and a single wheel can get pretty pricey depending on the model. I actually just got some quotes on some RC truck stuff last week and was talking tanks with them I am always working on custom stuff here at the office and at home and with the owner next door still racing 8th scale buggies they are great business neighbors. As for Tamiya, I doubt they would give me the freedom I have here. I have to have a dog with me, even at work. Not many places would allow that. I lost my pup in November but eventually I will need another. Bossman is nice enough to work with me on that and that is a big deal to me.

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 02-28-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:39 PM
pitstain

Wish I could bring my dogs to work with me, but they would negatively affect productivity to say the least..

Very sorry for your loss, please consider adopting a rescue dog when you are ready for a new furry family member.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by pitstain View Post
Wish I could bring my dogs to work with me, but they would negatively affect productivity to say the least..

Very sorry for your loss, please consider adopting a rescue dog when you are ready for a new furry family member.
Thanks, Zeus was our collective shop pup. He was a very well trained dog (I spend at least 30min a day with my pups just playing/training) and never left my side. He was a rescue dog too, he got out of his cage as a pup and either bit someone or another animal and he was given to me as long as I promised to train him well. Best dog I've ever had and I've grown up with a ton of dogs. In fact my whole life except 3 or so years I've had a german shepherd. They are some of if not the best dogs you can get IMO.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:12 PM
pitstain

Our two English bulldogs way less obedient than a German Shepard, Groot on the left, his current foster housemate Nina on the right.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Imex-Erik

Tankers, meet Derp Derp. Yes the gf dresses her up. Yes she has a hell of an under bite. Also yes, her name does match her personality.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:55 AM
pitstain

I was gonna say chewbacca, but derp derp is perfect!!
Old 03-01-2020, 11:52 AM
gp100

Hi Erik,

Yup, looks good to me. I don't care about the painted hubcaps.. That's not a big deal. Paint can be removed when they are metal parts.. I'll take it all.. I just checked the link in my PM and purchased everything..

Thank you.

You wouldn't by chance have the sticker set that goes with the Tiger 1, would you? If you do, I would be happy to buy that too.

P.S. Derp Derp kinda looks like one of those Ewoks from Star Wars..That's the first thing I saw when I looked at the picture.. An Ewok..

Last edited by gp100; 03-02-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Imex-Erik

Yup, decals are np, they are on me. Glad we got you setup my friend. I'll get this out today for you.

While Derp is no GSD, she is very loyal and nice, just derpy as can be in a dog. We used to have a mean little yapper and this one is the total opposite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.