Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Found my Mato sherman

Old 03-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Rebellion13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my Mato sherman

Hello all, its been awhile since i have been on here. As the title states I found my mato sherman i had packed away and had plans for but they never came to fruition... Fast forward a bunch of years.
This is just a post on what should i do with it lol. I have seen people graft heng long bogies to it to lower the height since the mato is really out of scale, now mato has the metal bogies on sale and I was wondering with the metal ones will that lower the height? I mean the metal ones are smaller then the cheap plastic over sized ones so that would make sense. I would like to have a taigen turret but that price is ridiculous....I don't care if it is metal. And I know the Mato needs work to look good, which no big deal. So opinions are greatly appreciated. Maybe graft the mato upper onto a heng long lower. All options are open. Ive seen ludwigs has a T23 turret (not sure if he is still operational) since the fire. But all opinions are welcome

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-06-2020, 01:11 PM
Rebellion13

So after further researching I have noticed the taigen turret has the same inconsistencies. So I might just completely redo the mato turret, lower reshape etc. also if anyone has a mato with the metal bogies.... is it the same height as a heng long? Thanks

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-07-2020, 09:53 AM
RichJohnson

Received 154 Likes on 104 Posts

Well, you have a lot of options. If you click on my name and view my profile and then click on started threads you will be able to look through the many shermans I have custom built.
IMHO, the mato sherman is only worth using the a1 cast upper hull and the back engine door parts. If you intend to drive it hard and battle it. If you want to build a nice looking model and not drive it hard then its fine, but I would put HL or taigen bogies on it then, but you may have track tension isues if you do, then you will need to cut off the plastic mato idlers and install mato metal idlers that are adujstable. The real weak point is the plastic sprockets, and if you break a tranny. Parts just arent around unless you find us that scrapped out these things.
I took one mato A1 tank I had and gave someone the turret that wanted it. Later on, I bought a 3d printed turret from dklm for 100 bucks that has a scale gun and a internal servo recoil A good deal for sure. It was scaled after the mato so it wasnt right looking but it was better after I textured it to get rid of the print rash. There is a build for that as well I think on here. The nice thing about the dklm turret other than the recoil and scale gun barrel was the loader hatch was the oval later type.

What I did on another tank was simply buy a taigen 76mm and swap the A3 welded hull out and install the mato A1 cast hull. Now, the turret ring on the taigen is bigger so you have to cut the barbett hole bigger and then build a bulkhead around the hole inside and then support it with bondo, this is on one of my builds as well, then the taigen turret fits just fine leaving the rotation unit right where it is.

Yes the taigen turret is slightly off, but it looks way way better than the mato. I showed in one of my builds how I reshaped and textured the bottom and whole turret to make it look alot better.
The M4a1 I built using the taigen and the mato upper hull is one of my favorites, though it is not one of my most scale detailed tanks as you will see if you browse my builds.

The Mato hull has a big error on the front glacis, around the bow MG port and up to the hatch, the bump is totally shaped wrong. In one or two of my builds I show how to use bondo and reshape that area correctly for an accurate scale appearance. Also, the front fenders are just ghastly. I show how to cut them off and make new ones with styrene plasticard stock.

Your last option is to get a Nick Aguilar urethane turret kit and built it. They are tough to do, but are very scale looking and accurate. If used, the rest of the tank would really have to be redetailed with finer scale details for the brush guards and lift rings and such.

Overall, I have used every sherman model made in 1/16. The taigen is the best for a VVSS tank. Then the HL then the mato products if you have to... Just saying. After using one of each, I settled on building all my shermans on taigens or tamiyas. I have about 10 that are built now and 6 under construction. 4 of those are taigen two are tamiya.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 03-07-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Rebellion13

Thank you for the reply..... I went and pulled the trigger on the mato metal bogies, they were on sale for $45 so I could not pass them up. I agree on what you have said about the turret, I will look up your builds. I might just try the whole lowering and re-shaping the turret. But that is still up in the air. I also might find a heng long lower or just go taigen. I will still use the original gears for now, and when they blow up, transplant some Taigen gears. Or like you stated might just switch over to taigen lower.

cheers,
Wade