Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Corona virus

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 06:33 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

they are going to be closing the Borders between US and Canada
Old 03-16-2020, 07:27 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

To answer the original question: how does your 401K look today?

As one of the several here who just lived through what was essentiality a 2 month lockdown in China, you'd better take this seriously. Get rid of any misconceptions from watching & listening to those who claimed this was all some hoax. Its very real & about to get far worse given there is no way your societies will take such draconian measures that China had to do to curtail & contain it. Home / self quarantine for those who are sick simply won't work since its quite easy to infect others who may be more susceptible. After seeing photos of the spring break crowds in Florida over the weekend, I fear it can & will be bad. Very bad. Not just regarding health but economically, too.

Again, most who come down with this will do ok but its quite deadly to anyone who has health issues, impaired immune system & elderly. Health systems, as they currently stand, cannot take the stress if this starts to get out of control. I spoke with my son who is an ICU nurse at St. Vincents, a major hospital in Jacksonville, FL, & he told me they're lucky to have 10-15 ICU beds out of 50 available this time of year. He's a former Marine who saw enough in Afghanistan & now will be once again be on the front line dealing with this. Luckily, he works in the surgical ward but knows he'l be brought into the one off the triage tents thats being set up. Given the infection rates many health providers here saw, that will be keeping me up at night if the ***** does hit the fan.

Do yourself a favor & watch or listen to the following so you can understand & appreciate whats to come & what precautions to take. As with anything, common sense prevails.

Joe Rogan Experience w/Micharl Osterholm
Joe Rogan (Podcast Site)

NYT Daily podcast
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/p...-pandemic.html

Expect to be down for at least 2 months or more. On the plus side, look at all the time you'll now have to catch up on builds & that honey-do list.

No matter how you slice it, this is going to hurt the economy no matter what the idiots in DC are telling you with all their happy talk. This could well be worse than '08 & '97 combined.

Stay safe, folks!

Last edited by herrmill; 03-16-2020 at 07:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Elefant (03-17-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:21 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Sage advice, Herrmill.

I'm up early as usual today. #48 bus stops at the end of our street, every 15 minutes. Normally from 07:00 the bus is packed, this morning only two passengers. Not a mask seen yet, though, and vehicular traffic is almost nil. We'll be in contact with 35th Battery shortly, they will know all. It's 09:00 at this time, and the city is silent.

We will contact a friend in the grocery business later this morning and order a 40 kilo sack of porridge, two extra bags of food for the dogs and some extra canned goods for us. I'll also do a recon of the local food emporiums this morning. I do know that all medical personnel have had leaves cancelled, as have the military. Emergency care units are being set up for the last two weeks by the armed forces and are ready to go as needed. We have 90 liters of diesel for the generator just in case, and the car will be topped off this morning.

Everyone, God bless, be prudent and stay safe. Herrmill is correct, this will last at least another two months and the situation in certain countries will be quite serious.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:38 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Saw an article about Arizona gun stores being cleaned out of all guns and ammo. I know people are buying up the ammo and guns here in Texas also. Luckily I don't let my stock of stuff get too low before I buy more stock, but in the next week or so I will need to do some shopping for allergy meds.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:31 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Italy here
Schoools have been closed since 3 weeks, shops and every unnecessary commercial activity (i.e. anything which is not directly related to survival, meaning that just food markets and pharmacies are open) closed a week ago.
In factories there are rules to avoid people working close to each other, any when possible (such as my case) home working is adopted.
It is forbidden to move from own home without a valid documented reason (i.e. going to/from work, going to/from buying foods, or important reasons which must be declared and are verified upon checking from the police).
In other words, stay home and be prepared to spend alot of time there.
About the virus: the real reason behind the restricted measures is that every 100 infected ppl, 20 will develop pneumonia, of which from 5 to 10 will require intensive care in a hospital and will risk their lives.
If the contagion spreads too much, there will not be enough seats in intensive care to heal all the infected.
The elders and those already ill from any other serious pathology are at more at risk than young and healty ones. Some healty ppl will develop the virus and recover without the need to be cured.
Many will never know they ever have been infected, but they CAN infect others.
That's why we finally understood that we are staying home also to preserve the lives of others, of the weakest and the eldest. And also to avoid contagion, of course.
We try to keep mood high, there's a lot of funny videos and memes going 'viral' about living closely with wife and children all day long and all other new habits.

The faster people change their way of living and think about others more than oneself, the faster the whole Country will get out of it.

Best Wishes to everybody, be prepared, follow the Authorities suggestions and comply to their acts, don't be too scared but don't be foolish either.
Elefant (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 AM
herrmill

Good to hear you guys in Italy are weathering the storm, Borealis. It sounds like you are dealing with the same restrictions we faced here in China.

For those stuck at home with family, do whatever you can to make space & stay sane. Granted, it will be much easier for most given the amount of living space you have compared to our small flats, but always best to keep the missus happy. As you would expect, divorce rates spiked over the past several weeks once the marriage bureaus reopened. Highest its ever been!

Last edited by herrmill; 03-17-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:13 AM
Elefant

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Borealis,

My thoughts are with you and all the Italian people. We are in the same **** here in France, I hope my people will finally realize it.
The figures are only beginning to show optimistic curves in some cities in Italy proving the lockdown is the only way to do, it is slow but it will work.
It will depend on how seriously people, all around the world, will follow the safety rules.

Please do not think you are naturally immune or stronger than the virus, you are NOT.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:16 AM
Elefant

@Hermill,

What should I say to the two little twins who want to play with me ?
Old 03-17-2020, 12:26 AM
herrmill

@ Elefant

If they start chanting REDRUM REDRUM I'd recommend you run like hell! Been a while since we spoke but my thoughts go out to you, especially after reading over half of the serious cases in French IUC are those under 60.

https://www.businessinsider.com/half...nder-60-2020-3

I picked Hooben's new Hetzer right before we were thrown into this madcap world & just now getting some of the upgrades ordered. My T80 board arrived yesterday so at least now it will sound like a real Hetzer & not like the asphyxiated Tiger it does out of the box (yes, it comes with his Tiger sound effects???). Will start a build thread once I get the paint & some other parts in. I jokingly say the only thing that's still Hooben by the time I'm done will be the hull.

Stay safe my friend.

Last edited by herrmill; 03-17-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 AM
borealis

Originally Posted by Elefant
@Hermill,

What should I say to the two little twins who want to play with me ?
Tell them to stay at least 3 meters away, as per Authorities recommendations.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:04 AM
herrmill

Michal_Kaczorowski (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 04:08 AM
Elefant

I’ve always known I had made the good choice in my (hobby) life.
We are stronger, Earth will be ours soon !!!!

Old 03-17-2020, 06:29 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
Saw an article about Arizona gun stores being cleaned out of all guns and ammo. I know people are buying up the ammo and guns here in Texas also.
It's the same here in Detroit, and I think Erik described it best when he said, this is in case everything goes Mad Max on us. Should that happen, y'all come on over to my house where I've got lots and lots of ammo.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:37 AM
borealis

Don't waste money on ammo, the supply chain won't drop. There will only be temporary shortages due to people buying food and paper rolls all at once.
If you still find them cheap, buy surgical masks (they will be useful to let people trust you if you have to go around) and chlorine based disinfectants.
Buying a lot of food supplies will just spare you the need to go out and buy more, when there will be restrictions to access the shops (not due to food shortage, but to avoid too many people at the same time inside) and it will be more time consuming.
Here of course we had days when pasta, tomato sauce, milk and flour was difficult to find (that's the Italian psychological reaction to the 'war times syndrome'), but everything else was available.
Now many food shops offer free delivery upon phone order.
The real challenge for most people will be to spend your time at home, but as modellers we have some advantages.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The whole world is self quarantining and here FL is with beaches packed.... I'm just hoping Darwin solves some of that problem....
On a side note I think we should keep this thread on the front page. With all the false information going around it is nice to be able to hear and also trust what is going on from our fellow tankers. It could get as bad as needing to close our state borders too (no legit conformation on that!) so any info we can share is always a good thing.

On a side note if you are looking for masks ArtsCow is selling them pretty cheap in 100pks and is offering expedited shipping. Alcohol (rubbing, the good stuff is GONE all around me) can still be found at most hardware shops, our local Fastenal had cases at normal price and was in stock just a few days ago. You can also make your own hand sanitizer with rubbing alcohol and aloe mixed at about 3:1 for those needing that. TP is a bit rougher solution but there are two easy options there: bidet or shower
Old 03-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Poland is on lock down. Boders are closed. Schools, most shops are closed. All planned mass events including our RC meetings are cancelled or postponed. Last week was some crazy shopping of tons of toilet paper and noodles like everywhere but people don't panic.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:16 PM
herrmill

Default Demand Shock

For a clear explanation on what we face economically & why now there's talk of sending checks in the States. My background is economics so I've been shaking my head at many of the comments I've seen on FB from friends & family that this will simply get back to normal in a couple weeks. Highly recommended

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/u...and-shock.html

Old 03-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Elefant

Originally Posted by herrmill
Stay safe my friend.
You too Hermill !!!
Old 03-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Elefant

For a clear explanation on what we face economically & why now there's talk of sending checks in the States. My background is economics so I've been shaking my head at many of the comments I've seen on FB from friends & family that this will simply get back to normal in a couple weeks. Highly recommended

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/u...and-shock.html
We face the unknown but one thing is for certain nothing will ever be the same again, for better or for worse.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:53 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Ever heard Donald Sutherland quote the Chinese saying, "May you live in interesting times."?

I read that entire NY Times piece and it does make you think. They talk about all the money we won't be spending in bars and for travel and what-not, so I wonder where all that money will go? Where will folks spend that coin now? On TP? Or save it? That's going to be interesting, too, with the effects on the markets. Some 401Ks might take a hit? I think I'll stay tuned for this one.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:07 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

All the smart, rich people I know are thinking this will have economic effects well into summer (northern hemisphere) or beyond.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:17 PM
tankme

401Ks will take a hit, but if you leave the money in there and things go back to normal with the stock market you money will recover over enough time. It might not be as much as it would've been without the blip, but such is life. I think the answer to Crius question is that money won't even be there because those people won't be getting paid. If the restaurants shutdown those people will be out of work. They then won't need a webpage to order food from. They won't need to pay maintenance on their equipment or building. They won't need to pay for lawn maintenance. They won't be buying ad space. The ad company then won't be buying new computer hardware... All of the employees of those services will be affected and could be laid off. There are too many repercussions to list, but they go on and on. People without jobs don't buy cars, houses, clothes, medicines, or anything else. Then the banks start repoing houses and cars that they can't sell because they have no buyers. I could get bad, very bad if the economy crashes.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:21 PM
tankme

Forgot to mention...people that have no income don't pay taxes. Without tax revenue the government can't provide services.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:17 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

@ Elefant

If they start chanting REDRUM REDRUM I'd recommend you run like hell! Been a while since we spoke but my thoughts go out to you, especially after reading over half of the serious cases in French IUC are those under 60.

https://www.businessinsider.com/half...nder-60-2020-3

I picked Hooben's new Hetzer right before we were thrown into this madcap world & just now getting some of the upgrades ordered. My T80 board arrived yesterday so at least now it will sound like a real Hetzer & not like the asphyxiated Tiger it does out of the box (yes, it comes with his Tiger sound effects???). Will start a build thread once I get the paint & some other parts in. I jokingly say the only thing that's still Hooben by the time I'm done will be the hull.

Stay safe my friend.

Hey! I sprung for Hooben's to_be_released T-34. We'll see what happens there. I still have a number of IBU2 base and pro boards lying around from my days selling and I'll try one of those. I don't think the model will be so heavy as to break the IBUs. Not sure if the shelter in place order California is under will power me through to getting the T-34 (due out in May) but I now have zero excuse for not working on my other projects..
Time to melt some metal and make new parts...

Jerry
Old 03-17-2020, 04:44 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I like a nice quiet beach to take my mind off of the day to day. Gas prices are low, just 26 miles round trip this morning. Other than this diversion, it's life as usual for the most part.

Melbourne Beach FL - 3/17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.