Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Corona virus

Old 04-20-2020, 10:36 AM
ksoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
DUDE, stop watching the crap you are watching. You are smarter than this. There is zero proof of this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urce=applenews
That is rich. Talk about sources. You are quoting Bloomberg - Their lifeblood is business news. They bend the knee to China so they can have direct access to mainland China so they can sell their news terminals to business world-wide. Those terminals and related business info generate about $10 Billion / year for Bloomberg, so it is in his best interest to keep China happy. China has recently been kicking out a lot of Western Media, but not Bloomberg.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...ge-2020-2?op=1

Some of the original report blaming the Wuhan lab originated in China. Remember what China did to the doctors that originally tried to warm people about the virus? The where arrested and forced to sign "confession" and admit they were spreading false info.

Facebook the other day fact checked a story about the Wuhan lab. Do you know who they hired? A US scientist who has worked int the lab - no conflict of interest there.

Someone the other day pointed out that there are thousands of "wet markets" in Asia, yet this flu just happens to occur in the market that is very close to the highest rated bio lab in China?

China keeps wanting a place at the adult table, but every time they have a chance to prove they are worthy, they fail.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:49 AM
ksoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo_K View Post
Okay, Wuflu is fine to me, lol. But CCP Wuflu? And besides all that, it already has the name COVID-19.
If they really have this in a lab. And they know what it is. Then it won't take them weeks to identify the virus and it won't take 23 days before they lock down the city. I mean, the CCP is not that stupid are they? That's just my theory for this. Don't believe that "lab leak" thing on those "fake news", specially when they trying to shift blames on others.
The US media was calling it the Wuhan Flu or Chinese Flu until China for weeks until China protested. Then in lock step the all switched to COVID-19. The CCP is to remind us this is not the Chinese people the inflicted this upon the world, but the Chinese Communist Party.

Regarding the length of time it took to respond. In a totalitarian society people who point out problems are rarely rewarded. Look to Chernobyl for more examples. And yes China has the right to be as stupid as any other government.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:01 PM
Crius

Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Does anyone know why it's called covid-19? Is it just because it happened in 2019, or maybe it's the 19th mutation of the strain, or some other factor that involves the number 19?
Old 04-20-2020, 02:03 PM
Tanque

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
Does anyone know why it's called covid-19? Is it just because it happened in 2019, or maybe it's the 19th mutation of the strain, or some other factor that involves the number 19?
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...that-causes-it
Old 04-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Crius

That's kind of too bad. The 19th mutation of the strain would have been so much more sinister. Bwahahahaha
Old 04-20-2020, 05:38 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching these fools down south and out west rushing to open up!!!!! Things will be quite for about 3 weeks and then watch the hospitals be overwhelmed. Been locked down for more than a month in northern NJ..... these sheepeople are just going to pull a Darwin, being stupid can get you are those around you killed.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:03 PM
herrmill

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, wouldn't be nice if folks would just sit tight & work together to get this all behind us. Look towards New Zealand as one of the shining examples where empathy & science are the rule. My friends there certainly don't whine about having to undergo another week of Level 4. Hell, I'd be happy if some of my compadres back home would just use this downtime to learn to spell.

The following 2 users liked this post by herrmill:
Pah co chu puk (04-21-2020), sevoblast (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:28 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Sometimes I do miss 'home' quite muchly.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 PM
Enzo_K

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ksoc View Post
The US media was calling it the Wuhan Flu or Chinese Flu until China for weeks until China protested. Then in lock step the all switched to COVID-19. The CCP is to remind us this is not the Chinese people the inflicted this upon the world, but the Chinese Communist Party.

Regarding the length of time it took to respond. In a totalitarian society people who point out problems are rarely rewarded. Look to Chernobyl for more examples. And yes China has the right to be as stupid as any other government.
Firstly, the media was calling it coronavirus.

As far as I know, the CCP did a better job protecting Chinese people, as a government should do. See what happened here in the states? We have higher numbers of everything than China, and we have 2 extra months to be prepared. BTW Which government around the world really cares about other countries? Did we shut down flights going out to prevent this virus from spreading to other countries?

I don't care about what the CCP didn't do to protect us. Think about what you should really care about?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:58 PM
herrmill

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default "The Hammer and the Dance"

I just listened to the latest episode of The Daily featuring Donald G. McNeil Jr., science reporter for the NYT, who had been featured several times before during this pandemic. McNeil has been spot on in his previous interviews regarding covid-19 & this one is recommended since it dwells on what we could be facing over the next 1-2 years that they referring to as "The Hammer and the DanceĒ. Bit depressing but there are some enlightening thoughts towards the end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/p...ockdowns.html?

Last edited by herrmill; 04-20-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:36 AM
pitstain

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Tank projects on hold while I am building a 12 square foot UV-C decontamination/sterilization chamber to sterilize all PPE and incoming packages/contents, so far it is turning out great as confirmed by medical grade UVC Dosimeter test cards, started at 60 minute dwell time for lethal dose of UV, Mark II is down to 40 minutes, goal for Mk III and IV to get down to 10-15 minutes.

I am in Georgia where they just announced opening of gyms and hair salons/barbers/nail places.....not a great plan.

I know I am not going to get a good haircut because of the straps from my respirator, my wife and I cut my hair for the first time last week with a simple set of electric clippers with the attachable combs, came out rather well.

I am only heading out for needed supplies or emergencies for the foreseeable future, period.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:55 AM
tankme

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts

I haven't had to worry about a hair cut since I was in the Army. I learned how to cut my own hair and have been doing so for close to 27 years. I can grab my clippers and have it cut in less than 20 min. I haven't worried about package contamination. I just open them and wash my hands afterwards. My tank projects have actually made a lot of progress during all of this, but I already worked from home prior to the outbreak.
Enzo_K (04-21-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Crius

Michigan just extended the stay-at-home order for the second time, this time until May 15th. They say they're going to relax some of the restrictions, though. I ordered a box of 50 surgical procedure 3-ply masks and they arrived today. With shipping it was $53 for 50 masks.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:18 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

All is good with us. City is still on lock down and lock out and it looks like this will be for another month. No shortages of any kind, though, and the strong price controls are working well.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Going nice and smooth down here. Everyone here at IMEX is loaded up with enough food and supplies to last many weeks. Bossman and his wife were making supply runs for everyone while we have been working hard to keep up with the increased demand for hobby stuff. I never would of thought the currency for the apocalypse would be toilet paper and toys but hey, glad I got a huge warehouse full of one of those! The only thing I miss is my barber, my hair is getting WAY too long. I've attached a photo below of some sick haircuts to choose from, I want the robocop but the gf doesn't seem to think that would look good on me....
(when I say the apocalypse I am joking of course, it is just funny to refer to it that way)

Old 04-25-2020, 12:08 AM
jarndice

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a set of electric hair clippers and since I left the service I have every week maintained my too the bone crewcut,
So no change there.
Bring on the Apocalypse I am ready.
ksoc (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:50 AM
Crius

I prefer the 60s approach. As the song says ... Don't never have to cut it cuz it stops by itself.
ksoc (04-25-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:29 PM
pitstain

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

sevoblast (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 11:46 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Day 62.

Update: Haircuts, went for that shaved, bald look, after a number 1 home buzz cut failure!

Not touched!

Hardscape project.

Donated N95 masks.

Our stay at home order is now at day 62. The California governor says in regards to lifting the order: “It won't be on the basis of pressure, it won't be on the basis of what we want, but what we need to do,” Newsom said. “And what we need to do from my humble perspective is listen to the public health experts.”

We have been watching Netflix and Amazon. Exercising and eating healthy food is a priority, since fast food, “In and Out Burgers plus Chick-fil-A” and favorite diner take outs do not seem to be worth the risk. Purchasing teenager prepared food during winter flu season was always iffy and now it seems like a guaranteed death sentence.

Modeling rc tanks turns out to be not as enjoyable as I thought during this time and remain untouched, though my photography hobby is interesting, documenting our mostly empty neighborhood streets when out on AM early walks. Hardscaping work, landscape yard work in general is still OK in our county, so we have done a little of that, maintaining safe social distancing. Social media is used to stay in contact with family and friends.

Though, I got to say we do have some family members who are ignorant idiots (in my opinion), prior and current to the pandemic and are not practicing safe social distancing. Think unannounced visits, crowded California beaches, public tennis courts and hiking trails, all things one should not do and or is ordered closed to the public. I gave them a harsh get lost directive. Not that they care, but at least they are not around to endanger my wife. Of course, I got some blow back, but you got to do what’s right. Miss the spring baseball season, F1 tv racing and the old guys surfing beaches, but otherwise taking it all in one day at a time.

Donated my excess supply of N95 air brushing and wild fire masks to a county sheriff first responder who lives down the street, more than a month ago. The wife said he was really touched by the gesture. It was at a time when no one had any protective gear. Happy to help in some very small way. Be safe. John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-29-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Enzo_K (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 12:18 AM
Tanque

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post
............Modeling rc tanks turns out to be not as enjoyable as I thought during this time and remain untouched.................

Y'know I've been struggling trying to get traction on my projects, for some reason just isn't as satisfying as I envisioned during this, the Age of Virus....
This evening is the first time I spent any substantial time on a lathe in nearly a month..

Who knew?

Jerry
ksoc (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 12:59 AM
Crius

I'm gonna go spend 10 hours on a lathe right now. You ain't missin' much.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:11 AM
tankme

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts

I've actually gotten a lot done on my SU-152 project due to the virus. I'm determined to get it finished in a timely manner...months not years. Used my lathe after years of non-use. Had to completely remove the chuck down to the last screw to remove rust from it. The jaws wouldn't move, but after removing the rust I put a rust inhibitor on it to keep it from doing that again. Used the lathe to remove the molded on 3D printed straps for the SU-152 external fuel tanks so I could replace them with brass straps:

ksoc (04-30-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

45 days under the stay at home order...

I've made good progress on the Western Slope Division's response to the virus. I'm building an ambulance! Still a bunch of work to go, but soon the Western Slope Division will be able to transport sick and wounded.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I too have been able to take advantage of the better weather lately

White 666 finally (almost) finished:

Autocar T-7144-U (5th wheel from Thingyverse - thanks to the guy that uploaded that if you are reading this!)

CCKW gas tanker:

(That hard top cab was a bear to get looking right - took me almost as many hours as the whole of the Autocar did )
Old 05-01-2020, 02:31 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Slowest build ever!

Our State finally closed all the beaches here, so, I got busy and finally finished Tamiya Abrams number 2, good enough, to pass it on to the happy new owner. It hung around for a long while. John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 05-01-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Enzo_K (05-01-2020)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.