Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Corona virus

Old 03-15-2020, 06:50 PM
  #1  
tch2000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: houston , TX
Posts: 405
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Corona virus

Has this worldwide virus affected anyone? I live in Texas. N Iíll tell you. Itís becoming difficult to even get groceries. Or even go to bank.
any members here been affected?
Old 03-15-2020, 08:28 PM
  #2  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,057
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Southern California: The big box stores, this weekend, were a zoo and the shelves are now bare, people are scared. We are inching towards a state wide lockdown, my opinion. Why?

The first CDC warning, March 9, 2020: ďMany Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home.Ē

Here is the expected old guy orders from the State of California per ABC News today: March 15. 2020, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As the number of coronavirus cases in California rapidly escalates, Governor Gavin Newsom is calling for all bars in the state to close. Newsom is also asking all Californians age 65 and older and those with chronic conditions to isolate themselves at home. "We are calling for the home isolation of all those 65 years or older and all those with chronic conditions," Newsom said during the press conference.

Public libraryís, schools, colleges, all current pro sports, Disneyland and restaurants have closed or are doing social distancing. Many other retail businesses, like Apple and Nike, have closed their stores for the immediate future. The lockdown will probably include more people than just those over 60 years old, if things get worse in the USA, based on events in Japan, Italy and other countries.

So, stay safe out there.


Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-15-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 PM
  #3  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elgin, TX
Posts: 1,187
Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

I just tried to go to my local Walmart to pick a few things up and they were closed. Normally the close at 1AM and now they are closing at 11PM. The woman said the store is about bare anyway as far as essentials go. They are truncating their hours until they are able to restock the store. I work from home so I have a lot less exposure than most, but I still wash my hands a lot since my girlfriend is always out and about. Manor, TX schools had to let out last Friday due to a kid with the virus. That's only 5 miles down the road from us.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:04 AM
  #4  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,747
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

I saw Chicken Little running around here the other day. Check the flu season numbers from 4 to 12 years ago and ask yourself why with today's numbers being less that 1% of those numbers has the country gone crazy? 785,000 people over 65 hospitalized in 2014-2015. Almost 20,000 deaths. Average year. March Madness went on. NBA continued. Colleges didn't close. So what is different now?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 AM
  #5  
mustclime
 
mustclime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: westwood, NJ
Posts: 1,421
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

The super markets in north NJ are empty..... the news from France about The age of people in the ICUís is scary..... take care of your immune system, guess that means no more beer on the corn flakes for breakfast
Old 03-16-2020, 05:35 AM
  #6  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 4,336
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
I saw Chicken Little running around here the other day. Check the flu season numbers from 4 to 12 years ago and ask yourself why with today's numbers being less that 1% of those numbers has the country gone crazy? 785,000 people over 65 hospitalized in 2014-2015. Almost 20,000 deaths. Average year. March Madness went on. NBA continued. Colleges didn't close. So what is different now?
Why has the country gone crazy? Because people are stupid. It's the same way here in Detroit with the toilet paper shelves being empty and people trying to stock up on Essentials. Our governor has declared a Statewide emergency, closed all the schools a couple days ago, and this morning she called for all bars and restaurants to close.

You thought it took a long time to get parts before this, we ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 AM
  #7  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,747
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

I read the bars in Ireland are closed. Ireland.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM
  #8  
Elefant
 
Elefant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Courbevoie, FRANCE
Posts: 378
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

The complete lockdown should be announced here in France in 4 hours…
Hopefully internet is still working

Old 03-16-2020, 08:01 AM
  #9  
Pah co chu puk
 
Pah co chu puk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ridgway, CO
Posts: 3,103
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Schools are closed in western Colorado. Lots of businesses closing and live concerts are canceled or only as webcasts. Local stores are out of toilet paper. Why toilet paper? Otherwise all is good, no cases of corona around here. Locking down western Colorado would be difficult, even with help from the army, but most people are already self isolating.

One person put it to me like this: "If I gave you a bag of 100 jelly beans and said that 3 of the beans will kill you, you would not want to eat any of the jelly beans".

Hang out at home and work on tanks.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:06 AM
  #10  
Elefant
 
Elefant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Courbevoie, FRANCE
Posts: 378
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Hang out at home and work on tanks.
the best advice ever to stop the outbreak.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:15 AM
  #11  
sevoblast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East
Posts: 3,081
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Our berg and Krimea have no cases of the virus, Russia has under 100 nationwide. We shop as we have to and were to magazines today. Not a face mask to be seen anywhere, all food emporiums and kiosks are well stocked, zero shortages of anything. Pharmacies are also well stocked, VCO was in two of them for meds for our very old yellow girls and some for me. Prices are stable and the governor has imposed draconian penalties for raising prices and/or price gouging. Cops are for the first time since '14 out and about, checking stores and in particular pharmacies.
All this being said, Russia is putting in place ever more stringent travel restrictions to and from abroad.
This afternoon, out of the blue, Sevastopol and Krimea have announced that all schools and universities will close as of this evening, the usual spring break is starting two weeks early. Students are told that classes will continue on line. That will work. Far from everyone has a computer at home and the educational system is not set up to do this.
Krimea has petitioned Moskau for permission to close the borders with the Ukes. The three crossing point block posts have been defacto closed for a week on the Russian side, longer on the Uke side.
Daryl has a fairly good stock of Eto transmissions on hand and the 'in stock' items on the Eto site are up to date. HennTec is closed down for production of his idlers, he's moving and should be producing by month's end. I've got pretty good stock of his goodies, but some I am low on.
Spring was arriving, two days ago the young lovelies were running around in shorts and such. This morning it was colder than a mother in law's kiss with a light frost. Young lovelies today were back in their ankle length winter coats.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:51 AM
  #12  
Panther F
 
Panther F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 9,735
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation

A lot of my friends and family members went out Saturday on a scavenger hunt for TP and paper towels, then later planned on going to some bars... facing the uncertainty and feeling things were going to be shut down by St. Patrick's day.

Not me... I did the Corona challenge at home safely. Still have 6 left for tomorrow.



Old 03-16-2020, 10:34 AM
  #13  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 4,336
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Where I live the governor just ordered the closing of all bars and restaurants. They can still deliver and you can still get takeout but no dine-in. All concerts and sporting events have been cancelled and all the schools are closed. I don't think Detroit will get any closer to a complete lockdown than that. But even if they do, I'm paying attention to Paco and I'll be at home working on my tanks.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:43 AM
  #14  
Pah co chu puk
 
Pah co chu puk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ridgway, CO
Posts: 3,103
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

I times of crisis like this it is good to have one's tanks in good working order. I'm checking the NBC systems on my Abrams and Leopard today to make sure they are hardened to the virus.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:56 AM
  #15  
Dropship Ace
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I work as a warehouse operator for one of the smaller supermarkets here in Australia, and after seven years of working there I've never seen anything like it. I would say that we are about 70% depleted of all stock, toilet paper disappears as soon as we get it. Breaks are now under disease control conditions, no touching, no more than 5 people to a break table with a minimum distance of a metre between. Usual 6 to 7 hour working days have turn into 9 to 10, and on the weekend I pulled a 13 hour Saturday shift and a 9 hour Sunday.

Totally wrecked but I can't argue with the money.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:08 AM
  #16  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,057
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Lockdown Acitivity

Making the best of isolation. Besides the wife, Netflix, Amazon Prime and the exercise bike; I will also do rc tank maintenance to my 3 favorite models while in SoCal lockdown. Not that they really need it, but fun to work on anyway. The bike is not fun.




Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-16-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM
  #17  
Imex-Erik
 
Imex-Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooksville , FL
Posts: 3,216
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

I'm just glad I stocked up back around December when I first started seeing this crap happen. I have at least 3-4 weeks of food, supplies, and even an extra 20 gallons of fuel in case this goes the way of Mad Max lol. I knew it was going to be bad when CNY was extended, that told me right then and there to start stocking up on things as the supply line was going to be tight for a while. I'm not so much a "prepper" but I am from the country and do like to stock up on things so we were already about 80% ready. I hope all of you have prepared (in your own way) for any stuff down the road. I have extra parts for my tanks, a new rover to build, a freshly built PC, and gigabit internet. Bring it on!
Old 03-16-2020, 02:09 PM
  #18  
bowlman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: jackson, MI
Posts: 2,158
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Being in Michigan they closed down the Bowling Center I work in today because we are a Recreational business for two weeks unless the Governor keeps us closed longer I am salary so I can work the next two weeks on other projects after that I take two weeks vacation after that I'm not sure yet could be unemployment untill we are allowed to reopen .
thanks
Jimmy
Old 03-16-2020, 02:13 PM
  #19  
RC_BobM
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 462
Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

This seems to be more contagious than other "flu" or past outbreaks. I live in Seattle. We read about the stuff in Wuhan in January and February. The end of February people here started dying with it. Not just getting sick - but dying. They didn't even know they were infected. That's pretty darn quick. In just a few weeks people are dying world wide. Granted this happens every flu season. But the speed at which this has spread worldwide is stunning. Hoping it peters out soon, but it may not. Take every precaution - now is not the time to get complacent or say its only flu or only affects the elderly. Corona Virus has been around a long time in animals and livestock - and there is a vaccine for it for animals. Virus' sometimes mutate and get stronger, this what we are seeing now, the spread and infection in humans. So while the social distancing and shut downs are alarming hopefully they will pay off in slowed and reduced spread.

I work on tanks as a diversion to the craziness as well - still need hobbies to take my mind off things.

But stay diligent folks.
B
Old 03-16-2020, 03:00 PM
  #20  
mcovalsk
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 636
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
I saw Chicken Little running around here the other day. Check the flu season numbers from 4 to 12 years ago and ask yourself why with today's numbers being less that 1% of those numbers has the country gone crazy? 785,000 people over 65 hospitalized in 2014-2015. Almost 20,000 deaths. Average year. March Madness went on. NBA continued. Colleges didn't close. So what is different now?
I think that your numbers are right, I asked a friend of mine about the same, he is intensive care therapist. The problem is that you had 785000 with vacines and just 20K deads, wich mean 2,5%. If you left the COV go on you will have 5millions with 4,5% or more people dead. That was the asnwer.
Here in Argetina we have 52 cases up today and all are going to a complete lockdown. Our healt Health System is pretty good and modern, public and private, however I think couldn't support 4000 or 5000 people needing intensive care and a respirator at the same time, which basically happened in Italy. Here the government ist taking this very seriously as we are in the end of the summer.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:54 PM
  #21  
tch2000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: houston , TX
Posts: 405
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post
Southern California: The big box stores, this weekend, were a zoo and the shelves are now bare, people are scared. We are inching towards a state wide lockdown, my opinion. Why?

The first CDC warning, March 9, 2020: ďMany Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home.Ē

Here is the expected old guy orders from the State of California per ABC News today: March 15. 2020, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As the number of coronavirus cases in California rapidly escalates, Governor Gavin Newsom is calling for all bars in the state to close. Newsom is also asking all Californians age 65 and older and those with chronic conditions to isolate themselves at home. "We are calling for the home isolation of all those 65 years or older and all those with chronic conditions," Newsom said during the press conference.

Public libraryís, schools, colleges, all current pro sports, Disneyland and restaurants have closed or are doing social distancing. Many other retail businesses, like Apple and Nike, have closed their stores for the immediate future. The lockdown will probably include more people than just those over 60 years old, if things get worse in the USA, based on events in Japan, Italy and other countries.

So, stay safe out there.
same thing here in Texas. Getting bad down here.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:55 PM
  #22  
tch2000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: houston , TX
Posts: 405
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
I just tried to go to my local Walmart to pick a few things up and they were closed. Normally the close at 1AM and now they are closing at 11PM. The woman said the store is about bare anyway as far as essentials go. They are truncating their hours until they are able to restock the store. I work from home so I have a lot less exposure than most, but I still wash my hands a lot since my girlfriend is always out and about. Manor, TX schools had to let out last Friday due to a kid with the virus. That's only 5 miles down the road from us.
itís crazy here in houston. Texas. Damn. Wow. Mayor put lockdown on everything. Bars n clubs shut down. Restaurant only drive thru. Very bad down here.
stay safe.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:58 PM
  #23  
tch2000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: houston , TX
Posts: 405
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post
Making the best of isolation. Besides the wife, Netflix, Amazon Prime and the exercise bike; I will also do rc tank maintenance to my 3 favorite models while in SoCal lockdown. Not that they really need it, but fun to work on anyway. The bike is not fun.



I still love your leo😀
Old 03-16-2020, 04:58 PM
  #24  
Elefant
 
Elefant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Courbevoie, FRANCE
Posts: 378
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I do not want to sound alarmist but it will be bad, so prepare and protect yourself, follow the rules this way you’ll protect the others too (the weakest, the virus is a ***** with them).
Old 03-16-2020, 06:26 PM
  #25  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,057
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Why your correct.

Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
I do not want to sound alarmist but it will be bad, so prepare and protect yourself, follow the rules this way you’ll protect the others too (the weakest, the virus is a ***** with them).
A good and understandable explanation of the danger we are all now facing. This YouTube Channel offers gross cool escapists viewing.



Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.