Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Russian SMK in 1/16

Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 AM
1qaz

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Russian SMK in 1/16

With all this time off from work I am spending a bunch of time in the shop. The 1/16 SMK project is almost all done except for the tools that were stowed on the fenders, I am going to wait before ordering the 1/16 tools but I did kinda finish the paint and weathering (read that as got tied of working on it!)
As of now I left the Henglong radio in the model so that at least I can drive it around to make sure the treads and drive train all work good, when I am convinced it will run good I'll spring for another IBU2 board so I can battle at the Danville tank museum.
I built the model by cutting two Henglong KV-1's in half and scratch building the turrets and upper hull from G10 sheet, same as the Char 2C.
I hope everyone is staying home and staying safe until this Covid 19 blows over!
Larry

Last edited by 1qaz; 03-31-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:20 AM
cleong

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

What are your plans to get the tank to pass tech inspection at Danville?
Old 04-01-2020, 05:49 AM
1qaz

Cleong, I don't think the guys at Danville will have an issue with the SMK. As of yet I have not even installed the "apple" base in the turret which will be in the main turret when finished. I think they might have a thing to say if I put the IR firing flash in the front turret, then I could hide the "apple" behind a obstacle and shoot without getting hit. That would not be fair!

Last edited by 1qaz; 04-01-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:34 AM
cleong

I guess some of the Danville regulars may chime in about basic standards (which do vary depending on which club is hosting the event that weekend).

As you've rightly pointed out, placing it on the front turret is going to raise some eyebrows, but placing it that high up on the second turret is going to hurt your competitiveness as you're essentially showing your apple over ridgelines that other tanks and their apples can stay below.

If the umpire allows it you might actually end up having a two-player tank (a driver/gunner and a gunner) where each turret has an apple and needs to be taken out before the tank is knocked out of battle. Kind of making up for the two IR emitters you could probably run...

It could actually be a very interesting and fun tactical problem.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 AM
1qaz

I had thought about making the SMK a two player tank but I don't know how both apples would tie into one control board? If you had a separate R/C system for only the front turret then a hit on the front turret would have to be recorded on the main board somehow. another thought is this, what if both apples recorded a single hit, then you would be killed twice as fast right?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:32 AM
cleong

Originally Posted by 1qaz View Post
I had thought about making the SMK a two player tank but I don't know how both apples would tie into one control board? If you had a separate R/C system for only the front turret then a hit on the front turret would have to be recorded on the main board somehow. another thought is this, what if both apples recorded a single hit, then you would be killed twice as fast right?
You would end up running two control boards on one tank where the top turret is a separate control board with no motor controls. Given the cardinal angles of the Tamiya apple, beyond 6 feet, each turret individual turret may/may not take a hit depending on its own orientation. Within that, an opponent still needs to make sure his spread can register a hit on both turrets due to the horizontal difference.

In effect you have a tank that looks and fires in two directions but an opponent could potentially gain a mobility kill by taking out the lower front turret/driver first, leaving the top turret functional. The tank becomes a pillbox. Alternatively the top turret gets taken out of action first, and the driver/gunner needs to operate the tank like a TD with limited rotation for its remaining turret. But its not all good news for the SMK because a smart opponent will work to facehug you and make sure each hit registers on both apples.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 AM
1qaz

Sounds complicated, the reality is that I just really enjoy the building aspect of the modeling. I don't think I have ever killed an enemy tank at Danville in the 4 years the wife & I have attended their battles. Every now & then I do score a hit on the opponent but for the most part I enjoy chatting with the friendly group and seeing what other modelers are building.
Also if you look at the SMK putting an "apple" in the front turret would interfere with the aft turret gun barrel and it's rotation so I will more than likely just set up the model like a normal Tamiya tank.
It looks like there will not be many Danville events this year anyway until this covid-19 runs it's course.

Last edited by 1qaz; 04-01-2020 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BcuriousR (04-01-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:16 PM
RC_BobM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

1gaz, those are off the charts - excellent models!
Bob
Old 04-09-2020, 08:57 AM
Martellus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I had collected some parts a long time ago with the intention of starting a build of one of those, but like most projects it ends up sitting around

I had specifically come up with an idea regarding 2 person control of this vehicle back then, that seemed reasonably fair to me.

I was planning on putting two battle units (heavy and medium) into the vehicle, and putting the apple on the main turret. It would be very high and easy to shoot, but trying to go for a perfect battle vehicle was not really the point for me.

The main turret would be the one hooked to the gearboxes, and so it would drive as a heavy.

The front turret would *also* be hooked to the main apple

That way it would work as follows: Every hit damages both, and when it takes enough hits the front turret shuts down. No apple on the front turret to obstruct the main. Vehicles driving and health performs as a heavy.

The only problem is I could imagine the front turret being able to shoot while the apple was hidden, but similar to fan shots or otherwise that would have to be solved simply by sportsmanship on the side of the operators. (with how its setup I don't see that happening unless on purpose) Overall, probably a worse vehicle to field than simply two separate tanks that could cover ground and directions far better than a single one, but something that would be a lot of fun.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:40 PM
1qaz

Thank you Martellus, Today I finally can call the SMK done for paint and exterior parts! I ordered 2 sprue "A" trees for the Tamiya Sherman model from the Danville Tank Museum which had the tools that I needed to complete the fenders of the SMK. I also took the liberty of adding a few crates & rolled up tarps on the fenders just to give it a more "used" look.
I still have to order another IBU2 board so the thing can play with the Tamiya tanks at Danville but that can wait till this Covid 19 gets done running it's course. Until then I can drive the model with the Henglong radio that the KV-1's came with.
You never did build your SMK?

Last edited by 1qaz; 04-09-2020 at 02:09 PM.