Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

T-12 Medium Tank, 1:16, Scratch, Metal

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T-12 Medium Tank, 1:16, Scratch, Metal

Old 09-24-2020, 09:24 AM
lposter

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Another big moment today ..... fitted the gearboxes and sprockets. Despite a bit of a mess in original measurements, the boxes went in with 1 mm to spare under the deck. They seem fairly rigid although there is very limited room for anything else in the hull and one corner of one box is visible when the left hand side escape hatch is open. Nothing I can do with that as cutting off the section would leave the integrity of the box much reduced.

The sprockets went on fine.. the big phillips head screw is a temporary fixing until I find something more appropriate.. next thing now is the idlers I guess which will be a bit of a hassle as I am still without suitable taps. Damn you slow ebay deliveries.....

P
The following users liked this post:
Panther F (09-24-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 11:13 AM
lposter

Idlers done today. They are strange looking things but idlers on old type tanks often seem a bit big. I dont know what the purpose of the rods behind the idlers were for....but they are there anyhow. They need a bit of trimming.

Started rivetting the hull as well. The inside looks like a hedgehog and the 1 cm of so stickingout inside the hull need attending to. Which worries me as I cannot solder all these rivets and all thats holding them is CA glue and friction. I will let them set for a day or two and then see what they are like.

Other than that, I think this tank goes in a box now for a while as I am stuck for a couple of tools and cannot progress until I get them.

Sorry about the filthy state of the thing.....its needs a thorough degreasing and sanding and cleaning.

P

Old 09-25-2020, 12:49 PM
MAUS45

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great so far. The rods could be the track tensioning parts?
Old 09-29-2020, 03:49 AM
Panther F

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully it won't be too long of a delay! These images of your work are amazing.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:27 AM
Tanque

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I've also enjoyed your thread on this construction! You are a wonderful builder.

I'd agree with the other poster those rods appear to be a type of track tension device.

As for soldering, you might want to try a technique where your treat the inner side with a good solder flux then place small pieces of solder
at various places ( holding the model on it's side) on the inner side and gently heat the area with as low of a flame as you can get away with.
In this way you should be able to 'wash' solder over a larger area securing multiple rivets at once.

Alternately you could make a tool to actually flatten the inner portion so the rivets actually function as rivets.

Again as the others said please continue this thread!

Jerry.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 AM
lposter

I genuinely fully intend to wrap this up. As soon as I get what I need, I will be up and running again. Its annoying as I ordered from Germany to avoid waiting for Chinese stuff and Im still waiting. So much for Deutsche post!

And whats even more annoying is that last night I started marking out the steel for the next thing I want to do. Having two on the go is a recipe for disaster........

I might actually start a placeholder thread for the next project .....

p
Old 09-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Crius

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts

This has been a great project and I really enjoyed following along, but it makes me kind of mad at the Atlantic Ocean. You see, I have boxes and boxes of tiny little TAPS at my disposal in all different diameters and thread pitches, both standard and Metric, and I could have sent you a couple of those in about 2 days if you were in the United States. Unfortunately, sending a letter across the Atlantic right now is taking about two-and-a-half to three weeks. But I definitely feel you on the shipping complaint because I have the same complaints myself. I haven't received a package on time since before the coronavirus hit. Ever since the start of the virus, every single package I've gotten has been at least two days late, some as many as three or four days late and two have gotten lost completely. People keep talking about, "when we get back to normal", I just want to start getting my mail on time again.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Tanque

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
This has been a great project and I really enjoyed following along, but it makes me kind of mad at the Atlantic Ocean. You see, I have boxes and boxes of tiny little TAPS at my disposal in all different diameters and thread pitches, both standard and Metric, and I could have sent you a couple of those in about 2 days if you were in the United States. Unfortunately, sending a letter across the Atlantic right now is taking about two-and-a-half to three weeks. But I definitely feel you on the shipping complaint because I have the same complaints myself. I haven't received a package on time since before the coronavirus hit. Ever since the start of the virus, every single package I've gotten has been at least two days late, some as many as three or four days late and two have gotten lost completely. People keep talking about, "when we get back to normal", I just want to start getting my mail on time again.
I just received an order from Martin Schneider's ( Geisswerk) brother that he posted in Germany July 2nd. Nearly 3 months later. I had to file a missing mail
search request. The order arrived repackaged with the water soaked remains of the original package in a plastic bag with a label that stated " Missing Mail"
addressed to me. To the credit of USPS they found it and forwarded it. Never had an occurrence like this ever in all the years sending and receiving. Clearly the package either was caught ina storm or fell over board... Just glad it made it as the order is now irreplaceable.

Jerry
Old 09-29-2020, 01:55 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Shipping is an absolute nightmare right now. With couriers overworked they are so stressed they are having to rush things and that is never a good thing. Our USPS/UPS carriers are telling us some pretty awful stories right now with everything going on. USPS had 3 people quit in a week up the street from us. Since they don't want to hire real employees and use them as temp workers they are very quick to jump ship when something doesn't go right over there. Our local UPS hub hasn't been able to get stuff together for a while now either. We were driving an hour and a half to drop off tanks and packages a few months ago because they were missing pickups and the only way to guarantee you guys got your stuff was to load up my car or bossman's Excursion and make the 1.5hr trip down to Tampa and back at 7pm.
We keep a bottle of alcohol and disinfectant right beside the loading dock and side door for our drivers and have since the apocalypse began (we were lucky and had a large stock of supplies for our employees and business) and that seems to earn us a lot of brownie points haha. It also helps that we have a nice security camera setup too. I just finished redoing mine at home, updated the ones here at work, and getting ready to upgrade bossman's setup too.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 PM
lposter

I once bought a 1:10 scale shovel from Geisswerk. It was all I could afford. Still have it somewhere.

Nice stuff but eye watering prices!

P

Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Crius

I haven't received a package on time since before the coronavirus hit. Most packages have shown up two to three days late with a couple taking as many as five or six days past the expected delivery date, and I'm waiting right now for a package from Greg out in Colorado that was last scanned on the 18th and hasn't shown any movement since. I think that one might be lost. This stupid virus has screwed up quite a few things, so I think our shipping system is just another victim.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:57 AM
lposter

Bolted on teh wheels mounts today - sorry for the different colored bolts but I ran out of teh silvery ones and had to use the black type.

It was important that they were vertical to the hull wall and not skewed forward or back. But I think they were OK.

I had to do this as the bars that go up from these mounts to holds the idlers have to be different lengths depending on the idler and I need the mounts to be in place as the top of them is the reference point for when I measure off the plans I have.

Oddly enough, the more I progress with this tank....the uglier it seems to get!

P

The following 2 users liked this post by lposter:
Buckeye36 (10-01-2020), Panther F (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Panther F

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

That's the beauty in fugly tanks!
Old 10-01-2020, 01:51 AM
Crius

This has been an excellent thread, and I don't want to hijack it, but I wanted to give you guys a little update on the shipping thing. Got a notice this morning that the package from Greg is still on its way, but it took 12 days to go from Denver Colorado to Kansas City Missouri. 12 days. From now on I'll act accordingly and not expect any shipments to be on time.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:39 AM
lposter

Today some taps showed up! Not from germany, but from China. Ordered two days after the Germany order and showed up quicker. Not often that happens but we are in strange times.

As an aside..... I dont think I have stumbled over these before. I normally use cheap as chips straight flutes (on the left) or the spiral flute taps (on the right) which are great for blind holes.

The one in the middle looks like a straight flute but has a strange cutting edge at the tip. Maybe I dont get out often enough but I checked and I dont have any like this.

Either way..... they really worked well and before two hours were up.... I had a full set of road wheels!! Progress at last!

P
Old 10-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Crius

Great job on the road wheels, they look really good. I'm pretty sure that Center tap is a spiral point tap made to go in a machine. They make them different if they're going to be used by hand or in a production machine, like a screw machine or CNC lathe or Mill. The reason the spiral flute is so great for blind holes is because that's what they're made for. If I could only get that through to the people I work for. I keep telling them, for thru holes you want a spiral Point tap and for blind holes you want a spiral flute. Think they listen to me? Because of my occupation I had to educate myself about Taps and what all those stupid numbers and letters really mean and I've been doing this for years, and I've probably forgotten more about Taps than my boss will ever know, but he still keeps buying me the wrong taps!
Old 10-01-2020, 09:12 PM
lposter

I did not know there was such a thing as a machine tap. Worked pretty well as a hand tap though! The little cutter on the tip seemed to get it started a lot better. Even better than the usual "first" tap in a set of three.

Learn something new everyday!

P
Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 AM
lposter

Test fitting of road wheels today. For anyone who remembers a certain Chi-Ri...this could have gone badly but it seem my measurements were OK an dthey have loads of space.

There are problems however. Mostly the fact that they can rotate freely. Im hoping that stuffinga strong spring in there and the guide teeth on the track will hold them pointing the right way.

If not there is no way to fix them in reality as there is very little space in the spring chambers at all.

Im not too worried though. There is nothing that a stiff spring cannot solve!

Other side next then the return rollers.

P

Old 10-05-2020, 08:08 AM
lposter

launched into the return rollers today. They are the final part of the running gear as the whole setup is one unit for each wheel.

I made the pillar for the return rollers and mounted the rollers on little axles at the top. The pillar is 4 mm drill rod and the axle is just brass in a little rectangular bit on the top,. They spin nicely.

Then the roller assembly had to be joined to the road wheel assembly and spring chamber.

Cleaned the mess up and then tried to load the spring I wanted to use. This was a beefy thing and when I finally had the chamber nearly closed, I realised it was a bit too beefy. If you need a spring compressor for a toy tank, then something is wrong.

So I changed spring to the ones you see in the photo below and it went fine.

The travel is not huge nor very smooth but its fine. I can smooth things out.

Just 7 more to do! Im not attaching these to the hull as I have work to do on both the assemblies and the hull itself and its a whole lot easier when they are not on the side of teh tank.
Pretty pleased with the start......proof of concept and all that!

P
Old 10-07-2020, 11:07 AM
RC_BobM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Those road wheel assemblies look like landing gear for an airliner! LOL. You're right, that is one ugly tank! But you are doing a fantastic job on it and I am loving your progress and metal work. Will be a really interesting one of a kind model.
Best regards,
B
Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM
lposter

After a few days doing other things, I decided I had to address the last major structural bit of this tank - the stupid trench spanning tail piece.

This is awkward as its a lot of bit that need of lot of filing and shaping and a lot of soldering and it has a curve which is a problem for me.

I bent the steel flat bit around a bar and then shaped the two stuts or skids on that curve (it being correct or incorrect in radius).

The struts are just filed out of steel sheet.

I then cut two strips of copper and drilled holes along them.

Then I soldered these to the steel flat and drilled the holes in that as well using the copper as a template. The solder here is a temporary measure as its going to loosen when i solder in the struts.

So I stuck the rivets in and did as Tanque said I should and just peened them over on teh back to hold the copper in place.

The I just soldered on the struts.

This obviously needs tidying up.

The problem is the bottom. Th etop will be just soldered to the tank but I have no information as to how the bottom was fastened to it. At them moment the bottom edge is about 2 mm away from teh hull and I have really no idea how it should be held. I will have to figure this out.

I also finished off all the 8 running gear assemblies. Those nuts on the return rollers are M1.2! Tapping 32 of those holes nearly made me blind!

Im sorry about the picture quality...I have neither a good camera or skills in that area!

P
Old 10-15-2020, 12:26 PM
MAUS45

love the trench spanning tail work!!!
Old 10-16-2020, 08:16 AM
lposter

Had to attach the tail piece as it was annoying me. The struts are fine but I didnt know what to do with the bottom as I have no reference. I doubt they just welded the bottom edge on as there doesnt seem to be any other welds on teh tank. In the end I simply decided to have a kind of system with a steel bar that goes through a coupling with one section on teh tail and the other on the hull.
A tricky bit of soldering but it actually went on.

I need to make new handles for teh coupling and it needs some filler but otherwise Im happy.

It also needs a cleaning but I say that everytime and its still not clean.

Last bit to do are the tow hitch mounts on front and back.

P
Old 10-19-2020, 06:29 AM
MAUS45

The metal work is so cool.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:12 AM
lposter

Apologies for the delay ....I had other projects to do and the T-12 took a slight back seat.

Now the mudguards are on and the towing hitches front and back......which means that structurally, this is now complete. Apart from a dozen rivets on the front.

Unfortunately...two problems have arisen.

The first is related to my rear sprockets being two mm to high or so (see earlier). This is a problem as I dont think the rear mudguard bit will clear it. I can either bend them up slightly or just leave the mudguards off which is OK as most pictures dont even show mudguards.

Th esecond is that rust has set in here and there mostly because I used a flux that was acid based and this has started things rusting.

So then cleaning I have been talking about will have to happen. Then final assembly.

This is a dangerous phase for the model as I often cannot be bothered, slap it all together and stuff it in a box. But I will try to finish it this time!!

P

The following users liked this post:
Panther F (11-26-2020)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.