Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

T-12 Medium Tank, 1:16, Scratch, Metal

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T-12 Medium Tank, 1:16, Scratch, Metal

Old 11-26-2020, 02:30 AM
Panther F

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This elegant project cannot be stuffed in a box... PLEASE!
Old 11-27-2020, 11:09 AM
MAUS45

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you need to keep going!!!
Old 11-28-2020, 01:24 AM
lposter

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hello
Finished this late last night ----- still some bits I would like to change but that is always the way with these things. Could do with a polish but I am seriously done with this thing. It took more time than I thought. Tracks are plastic as I would need two sets of metal tracks and they cost more than the tank is worth.

Its RC ready and I may get around to that one day.

I put in a couple of shots of it beside a Stug and a Japanese Type 5 for scale.

Now its onto to my Maresal which I have been looking forward to.....

Many thanks for all the ecouragement underway! Sometimes it really spurs one on to continue with progress.

P

The following 2 users liked this post by lposter:
dkaniel (11-30-2020), Panther F (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 01:49 PM
RC_BobM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice work - and congrats on finishing. I know what you mean tho, that last 2% of the project seems like it will never end. Great collection of unique models.
Best regards,
Bob
Old 11-29-2020, 05:22 PM
vollenc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That is a super cool build. The other two look awesome as well.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:01 AM
Crius

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

It looks just great, very impressive, maybe you should give it a clear coat so that the rust monster doesn't come back?
Old 11-30-2020, 09:14 AM
Tanque

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lposter View Post
hello
...... I would need two sets of metal tracks and they cost more than the tank is worth.
P
IMHO you are seriously under valuing the significance of your work! It is worth way more than the cost of metal tracks.
Perhaps your material costs were low but considering the results!..... that you had lower material costs than a set of tracks is a hallmark of a superior modeler, a Master modeler...

First Class!

Jerry
Old 11-30-2020, 09:30 AM
Crius

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree with Jerry, and don't forget that there are people out there that try to squeeze every nickel they can out of every kit. There's a 231 kit available right now that cost over $800 to deliver to the United States and it does not come with electronics or Motors, it's basically just the plastic pieces you need to make the shell. And it's more than $800. If that kit is worth $800 then you're all metal tank is easily worth $1,000 or more. Your skill is incredible, please don't sell yourself short.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM
ronnie42

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice build , building metal tank hulls and turrets are way above my skill level.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM
tankme

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a good looking tank. I envy your patience with all of those rivets.

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
There's a 231 kit available right now that cost over $800 to deliver to the United States and it does not come with electronics or Motors, it's basically just the plastic pieces you need to make the shell.
In the land of the legless, the one legged man is king. There are issues with small runs of items. Provide the STL and people will complain about the settings, sell it to others, or give it away to others. Make it yourself to save your intellectual property and people will complain about the price and delivery times. Build it for yourself, don't release to anyone else, and people beg you to release it. It's a lose, lose, lose situation. I would bet most of the folks that sell small run 3D printed parts have other jobs or income sources as you would starve if you relied on this hobby to get by.
The following users liked this post:
Panzerjaeger66 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 06:30 PM
MAUS45

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a beautiful metal build!!!So glad you kept the Mojo to finish!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:54 AM
Panzerjaeger66

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lposter View Post
hello
Finished this late last night ----- still some bits I would like to change but that is always the way with these things. Could do with a polish but I am seriously done with this thing. It took more time than I thought. Tracks are plastic as I would need two sets of metal tracks and they cost more than the tank is worth.

Its RC ready and I may get around to that one day.

I put in a couple of shots of it beside a Stug and a Japanese Type 5 for scale.

Now its onto to my Maresal which I have been looking forward to.....

Many thanks for all the ecouragement underway! Sometimes it really spurs one on to continue with progress.

P
I agree, you have made a fantastic job with very skillfull hands!
Maybe the value of the used materials are not that much (which I don't believe), but the personal value is priceless! If you consider selling this beautiful handcrafted tank you should get much more than athousand bucks! Everyone who's building scratch models know this business and would agree for sure!

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
I agree with Jerry, and don't forget that there are people out there that try to squeeze every nickel they can out of every kit. There's a 231 kit available right now that cost over $800 to deliver to the United States and it does not come with electronics or Motors, it's basically just the plastic pieces you need to make the shell. And it's more than $800. If that kit is worth $800 then you're all metal tank is easily worth $1,000 or more. Your skill is incredible, please don't sell yourself short.
What's wrong with you?! In many of your posts you complain about prices of small number kit manufactures! Try to do it yourself instead of critisizing, you would see how much work is needed to get a model working to then get it sold in low numbers!
You can be sure, we don't earn money with selling these kits or squeezing every nickel! We're only doing it as a hobby and having fun with it. Our hobby is not relevant to our income - if it would be and if everyone thought like you, all manufacturers would starve to death!!!

Greets,
Freddy
Old 12-04-2020, 06:10 AM
lposter

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe the value of the used materials are not that much (which I don't believe),
You actually could be right there.

I buy steel buy steel in 100 by 50 cm sheets from a local Halfords type shop (normal panel type steel) and it costs 20 euro about for that which is maybe two small tanks.

I had the gearboxes but they are worth probebly 30 euro. The brass comes from my scrap collection so it cost something at some point but I dont know how much.

The springs were 5 euro, a petrol cap 5 euro or so. The rivets actually cost a bit ...like 20 euro or so.

I had the tracks but they are probably 20 euro for plastic Pz III ones?

Aluminium and acetal tubing cost me I dont know..... 20 euro?

Add another 20 for solder, flux, filler and so (most of which I had) and I am well over 100 euro but less than 150 I guess.

Which is a fair amount.

But Im still not keen on blowing 100 euro or so on some metal tracks!

Its not like this thing will ever see anything rougher than a carpet I guess.....

p