Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

T-12 Medium Tank, 1:16, Scratch, Metal

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T-12 Medium Tank, 1:16, Scratch, Metal

Old 11-26-2020, 02:30 AM
  #51  
Panther F
 
Panther F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 9,647
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

This elegant project cannot be stuffed in a box... PLEASE!
Old 11-27-2020, 11:09 AM
  #52  
MAUS45
 
MAUS45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Old Hickory, TN
Posts: 3,034
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Yes you need to keep going!!!
Old 11-28-2020, 01:24 AM
  #53  
lposter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 697
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

hello
Finished this late last night ----- still some bits I would like to change but that is always the way with these things. Could do with a polish but I am seriously done with this thing. It took more time than I thought. Tracks are plastic as I would need two sets of metal tracks and they cost more than the tank is worth.

Its RC ready and I may get around to that one day.

I put in a couple of shots of it beside a Stug and a Japanese Type 5 for scale.

Now its onto to my Maresal which I have been looking forward to.....

Many thanks for all the ecouragement underway! Sometimes it really spurs one on to continue with progress.

P


















The following 2 users liked this post by lposter:
dkaniel (11-30-2020), Panther F (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 01:49 PM
  #54  
RC_BobM
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 345
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Very nice work - and congrats on finishing. I know what you mean tho, that last 2% of the project seems like it will never end. Great collection of unique models.
Best regards,
Bob
Old 11-29-2020, 05:22 PM
  #55  
vollenc
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 85
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Wow! That is a super cool build. The other two look awesome as well.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:01 AM
  #56  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 3,603
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default

It looks just great, very impressive, maybe you should give it a clear coat so that the rust monster doesn't come back?
Old 11-30-2020, 09:14 AM
  #57  
Tanque
 
Tanque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 2,608
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lposter View Post
hello
...... I would need two sets of metal tracks and they cost more than the tank is worth.
P
IMHO you are seriously under valuing the significance of your work! It is worth way more than the cost of metal tracks.
Perhaps your material costs were low but considering the results!..... that you had lower material costs than a set of tracks is a hallmark of a superior modeler, a Master modeler...

First Class!

Jerry
Old 11-30-2020, 09:30 AM
  #58  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 3,603
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default

I agree with Jerry, and don't forget that there are people out there that try to squeeze every nickel they can out of every kit. There's a 231 kit available right now that cost over $800 to deliver to the United States and it does not come with electronics or Motors, it's basically just the plastic pieces you need to make the shell. And it's more than $800. If that kit is worth $800 then you're all metal tank is easily worth $1,000 or more. Your skill is incredible, please don't sell yourself short.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM
  #59  
ronnie42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 106
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Nice build , building metal tank hulls and turrets are way above my skill level.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM
  #60  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elgin, TX
Posts: 834
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

It's a good looking tank. I envy your patience with all of those rivets.

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
There's a 231 kit available right now that cost over $800 to deliver to the United States and it does not come with electronics or Motors, it's basically just the plastic pieces you need to make the shell.
In the land of the legless, the one legged man is king. There are issues with small runs of items. Provide the STL and people will complain about the settings, sell it to others, or give it away to others. Make it yourself to save your intellectual property and people will complain about the price and delivery times. Build it for yourself, don't release to anyone else, and people beg you to release it. It's a lose, lose, lose situation. I would bet most of the folks that sell small run 3D printed parts have other jobs or income sources as you would starve if you relied on this hobby to get by.
The following users liked this post:
Panzerjaeger66 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 06:30 PM
  #61  
MAUS45
 
MAUS45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Old Hickory, TN
Posts: 3,034
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

That is a beautiful metal build!!!So glad you kept the Mojo to finish!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:54 AM
  #62  
Panzerjaeger66
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 175
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lposter View Post
hello
Finished this late last night ----- still some bits I would like to change but that is always the way with these things. Could do with a polish but I am seriously done with this thing. It took more time than I thought. Tracks are plastic as I would need two sets of metal tracks and they cost more than the tank is worth.

Its RC ready and I may get around to that one day.

I put in a couple of shots of it beside a Stug and a Japanese Type 5 for scale.

Now its onto to my Maresal which I have been looking forward to.....

Many thanks for all the ecouragement underway! Sometimes it really spurs one on to continue with progress.

P
I agree, you have made a fantastic job with very skillfull hands!
Maybe the value of the used materials are not that much (which I don't believe), but the personal value is priceless! If you consider selling this beautiful handcrafted tank you should get much more than athousand bucks! Everyone who's building scratch models know this business and would agree for sure!

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
I agree with Jerry, and don't forget that there are people out there that try to squeeze every nickel they can out of every kit. There's a 231 kit available right now that cost over $800 to deliver to the United States and it does not come with electronics or Motors, it's basically just the plastic pieces you need to make the shell. And it's more than $800. If that kit is worth $800 then you're all metal tank is easily worth $1,000 or more. Your skill is incredible, please don't sell yourself short.
What's wrong with you?! In many of your posts you complain about prices of small number kit manufactures! Try to do it yourself instead of critisizing, you would see how much work is needed to get a model working to then get it sold in low numbers!
You can be sure, we don't earn money with selling these kits or squeezing every nickel! We're only doing it as a hobby and having fun with it. Our hobby is not relevant to our income - if it would be and if everyone thought like you, all manufacturers would starve to death!!!

Greets,
Freddy
Old 12-04-2020, 06:10 AM
  #63  
lposter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 697
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Maybe the value of the used materials are not that much (which I don't believe),
You actually could be right there.

I buy steel buy steel in 100 by 50 cm sheets from a local Halfords type shop (normal panel type steel) and it costs 20 euro about for that which is maybe two small tanks.

I had the gearboxes but they are worth probebly 30 euro. The brass comes from my scrap collection so it cost something at some point but I dont know how much.

The springs were 5 euro, a petrol cap 5 euro or so. The rivets actually cost a bit ...like 20 euro or so.

I had the tracks but they are probably 20 euro for plastic Pz III ones?

Aluminium and acetal tubing cost me I dont know..... 20 euro?

Add another 20 for solder, flux, filler and so (most of which I had) and I am well over 100 euro but less than 150 I guess.

Which is a fair amount.

But Im still not keen on blowing 100 euro or so on some metal tracks!

Its not like this thing will ever see anything rougher than a carpet I guess.....

p

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.