Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hooben's 1/10 T-34

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hooben's 1/10 T-34

Hooben's 1/10 T-34 arrived today. I have to say it came quite quickly and in what seems to be in perfect condition so I laud their packing; the box is what I've come to see as their standard heavy cardboard foam lined shipping box which seems to protect the model pretty well. I think perhaps the snow cleats on the right side moved a little but that's all I could detect from a very cursory examination.

I've not had a chance nor will I for a while to check dimensions, construction and whatnot. I can say it is very light for a 1/10 model, no rubber tires but rather a one piece molded hard plastic wheel. The overall impression is as a larger version of a 1/16 scale model both in form and construction. I believe the lower hull is plastic very thin as the front lower glacis bends while picking it up. The overall extreme lightness is striking. More to come as I examine this further.

The photos below are exactly as it is coming from the box; I've done nothing to it. At some point I'll open it up and put it through it's paces. Down the road I'll
likely swap out the electronics for an IBU2 Pro as I still have a number of them kicking around...I should add that this arrived while it reached 106 here today
in toasty Concord so I wasn't so motivated to do much with this...

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 08-14-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:39 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Looks good so far. I'll be watching to see more. Glad to hear you got a tank from Hooben with no headaches.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:19 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Good looking model. I like this version of the T-34 instead of the common '85' gun version. Hopefully it runs as good as it looks. I'm still leary of the 98% plastic construction. But Hooben is producing some nice looking models in 1/10, at very reasonable prices. I just don't want to buy one and have to fix everything.
Run it!
B
Old 08-17-2020, 06:05 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be very disappointed with this purchase. The larger the model, the more detailed it needs to have. The plate/casting texture is not there, no welding details and plastic wheels..... looks like a big toy to me. If they were charging $200-400 for this, I would say “ nice, enjoy the 15-30 hours needed to make it look real”. As it stands and knowing what it costs, I would be upset with this product. Let us know how it turns out.
The following users liked this post:
Enzo_K (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:21 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by mustclime
I would be very disappointed with this purchase. The larger the model, the more detailed it needs to have. The plate/casting texture is not there, no welding details and plastic wheels..... looks like a big toy to me. If they were charging $200-400 for this, I would say “ nice, enjoy the 15-30 hours needed to make it look real”. As it stands and knowing what it costs, I would be upset with this product. Let us know how it turns out.
I knew what I would be getting when I ordered it. Yes it could have been less expensive but that's true with nearly anything. Everyone has a simple choice- buy
it or don't buy it. I've seen a lot of models in my time, this certainly isn't the worst in this scale/price point. There has been some out and out crap sold in this scale over the years for extremely high prices.

It bothers me that Hooben isn't taking the extra step to make his 1/10 line have rubber tires; that one thing ticks me off like nothing else. Just about anything else
I can give a pass on. I knew this one would be like his others in that regard.

I plan to get into the model but I already know how it's going to perform, sound and behave- like an out sized Heng Long. It's been so damn hot here, over 100 for days and not really cooling off over night that I just don't feel like doing much with it or anything..

Jerry
Old 08-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Enzo_K

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque
I knew what I would be getting when I ordered it. Yes it could have been less expensive but that's true with nearly anything. Everyone has a simple choice- buy
it or don't buy it. I've seen a lot of models in my time, this certainly isn't the worst in this scale/price point. There has been some out and out crap sold in this scale over the years for extremely high prices.

It bothers me that Hooben isn't taking the extra step to make his 1/10 line have rubber tires; that one thing ticks me off like nothing else. Just about anything else

I plan to get into the model but I already know how it's going to perform, sound and behave- like an out sized Heng Long. It's been so damn hot here, over 100 for days and not really cooling off over night that I just don't feel like doing much with it or anything..

Jerry
Good saying. I think its a good buy as long as its the only 1:10 T3476, or any scale T3476, out there.
What im disappointed about Hooben is they are not making any improvement on their new products. I'd expect a 1:16 T3476, or a 1:16 hetzer with better detail and better electronics to make a better sale for hooben.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:47 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque

Jerry
Hi Jerry. so are the road wheels at least black plastic that has been painter green oe are they green plastic and the rubber was painted black?
If they are solid black plastic that would be a better, although I agree with you it would be nice if the rubber was real rubber!!!

Rudy
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Enzo_K
Good saying. I think its a good buy as long as its the only 1:10 T3476, or any scale T3476, out there.
What im disappointed about Hooben is they are not making any improvement on their new products. I'd expect a 1:16 T3476, or a 1:16 hetzer with better detail and better electronics to make a better sale for hooben.
No argument from me. They promised upgrades for their 1/10 scale stuff from the beginning and as far as I know none of those promised upgrades
have been made or offered. Instead they've been pumping out new models like crazy. Not an entirely bad thing if those upgrades are next. I give them credit
for the Sherman, Hetzer and this T-34. The only real issue I have is as a long standing fan of 1/10 scale if this is to be newcomer's first exposure
to 1/10 scale armor I wish 1) the models were a bit more sophisticated out of the box 2) failing Nr 1 there should be options to upgrade to better quality parts.

I can't think of anything that will sour a person's interest faster than a shoddily made product that wasn't inexpensive for which support is 'thin' at best.
That last part was said without a clear understanding as to how Hooben plans to support these going forward. I hope they surprise us with first cabin
support...

I'm sitting at my desk as my AC is keeping me cool. I was in my garage earlier on a lathe and I felt sure I was going to become baked goods...they other day it was 107 in my garage- it gets sun until it sets... I hear temp records are going down all over the west...

Jerry
Enzo_K (08-17-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:38 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Jerry,

Your T34 has a stainless lower hull, doesn't it? That was to be the spec just like the Hetzer & Pz3. Any big honking gaps in the front like that one our buddy Larry came across 2 weeks ago in SH?

Am interested in hearing your take on the running gear & suspension once you have the inclination of tearing into it. As I mentioned before, the Hetzer's suspension is a joke - all 3DP parts that are rough if I wanted to be generous in my description & unable to take any abuse outside of being a shelf queen. The leaf springs have no real function to speak of & look like they were made from taking a pair of tin snips to an old beer can. Heck, my son's new tracked crawler we got this week off Taobao has far better travel & able to do high speed runs on rough terrain like a bat out of hell. Even comes with a metal suspension which ain't bad for under $37.00.

Sadly, we know Hooben all too well so if you want to upgrade, better plan the the DIY route & cast, machine &/or print your own parts since you'll never see anything from them aside from, perhaps, a set of track.

Its a damn shame since I've always liked the early T34/76 but after seeing what's needed to get the Hetzer to the level I expected, am going to sit this one out.

Chuck
Old 08-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Tanque

Well I finally got to Hooben's 1/10 T-34 this afternoon. I wish I had a more glowing review to share. I was stopped in my tracks, pun intended, when I couldn't get past the 2,4Ghz binding process. It's ironic since I've just in the last week bound 3 2.4 Ghz 9X8C.v2 receivers to one of my 9x transmitters as I install radio systems in my Kaelble trucks so I'm a little familiar with the concept. I'd prepared my running area in my yard I was reay to put it through its paces. Wasn't meant to be I s'pose. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but can't put my finger on it- I followed their instructions the best I am able. They require a jumper on a pin set on their (VCU?) control board to short the receiver to effect whatever handshake / GUID exchange this system performs. The jumper required looked like it should be similar to that used to set a hard drive as slave or master- in fact I stole one from an old hard drive I have laying around. Hopefully that should have served. Long story short no binding seems to have occurred. I checked all the switch settings, the sequence of powering up both the the control board and transmitter. Not sure what else I could try. I may give it another go then I'll try to ask Hooben. Failing that out comes the old and in will go an IBU2....

There's a plug for which I'v not found an explanation- looks like it could be a connection for the balance port on a LiPo? I may well have overlooked it but seems likely. The battery plug is a Deans type.

I did manage to take more photos and they are below. The lower hull is indeed thin aluminium sheet, not altogether unpleasantly formed.
The upper hull is odd. It appears to be fabricated from some type of sheet material, I assume plastic but it's unusual; some parts are hot-glued
to it, some fastened with screws, others- ??. I'm assuming the small parts, hatches, accessories are injection molded.

The wiring is rather a jumble, spaghetti really. No tie downs. Components laid out in some seemingly random manner, likely with double sided sticky tape. There are two hook type devices to hold the upper hull to lower and are extremely trying to align and engage- I felt sure I was going to damage something while trying to rejoin upper to lower. The rear of the upper hull is engaged via two protrusions that engage a type of sliding locking mechanism similar to that used on my Asiatam 1/16 PZ III hulls- this may be a standard at this point I'm not sure.

The model came with two rear mounted ( loose- to be attached by purchaser) stowage boxes of a type I'm unfamiliar with. I accidentally broke
one of the finely made plastic brackets for one but it's of minimal concern as I hadn't planned to mount these. There are additionally two smaller
side mounted stowage bins that I'm uncertain of. I'd prefer the out board fuel drums but we'll see.

Obviously the big ticket issue is that I've not been able to actually run the thing but on the whole I'm not completely bummed about this model.
Is it worth what I paid for it or worse what they're asking for one now? I have to temper that response with the knowledge that the model I began
with 46 years ago (Bandai Hummel) that sold for 42 bucks new last sold for several hudred dollars now and the first real RC tank I bought for 95 bucks (original Tamiya Sherman) now sells for what $600? Taigens are pushing 700-800 and other 1/10 scale models are easily in the 7-10k range. So value is relative. I want to say no it is not but we're also talking limited production items, limited market; such things have always cost more. I do believe Hooben needs to up their game a bit if they want to make 1/10 a success. I've already mentioned my hot buttons previously.

Perhaps next time I'll actually get it to run!

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 08-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

As I said earlier, you'll want to bin the electronics & switch out with something a bit more robust. They'd be smart to offer an ARTR less radio as well offer board options instead of trying to create their own microcosm with that crappy toy board they use. Not sure who they tried copying & wish he would have stayed with Clark.

Same goes for the speaker which is worthless since you can't hear any engine sounds over the motor noise. If you ever do get it running as stock, I am curious to know what sounds they used for the T-34 - hope its not the same Tiger sound effect they used for the Hetzer.

The latch set up looks like what came in the Hetzer. Do your hulls match or do you have any gaps like that show model in Shanghai? Curious what you think of the suspension - at least yours comes with springs that may offer some semblance of actually working.

Last edited by herrmill; 08-27-2020 at 09:33 PM.
brunettiani (06-06-2021)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:45 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Jerry, if you use the IBU and the TPA you should be fine with the right speakers. In my 1/6 Hetzer I'm using the IBU/TPA with two 4-inch, 4 ohm visaton speakers (one for each channel on the TPA) in a custom made wooden speaker box and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. I can easily hear the engine sounds from a block away.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:51 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

I like the look of that suspension setup. If you have a chance.....could you do me a favour and take a couple of shots of how they have it set up ?

P
Old 09-13-2020, 06:08 AM
Jay-Em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. at least it has a Deans for the battery....
Old 09-13-2020, 07:30 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

LOL, that top hull looks like its hand-built, and not in a nice craftsmanship sort of way.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:27 AM
Tanque

Can't argue against the obvious however let Hooben know your reactions. Perhaps consumer pressure will get them
to consider upping their game.

I mean pigs may actually fly one day so who knows...

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 09-13-2020 at 10:29 AM.