Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Testors Paint is Being Discontinued

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Testors Paint is Being Discontinued

Old 08-26-2020, 06:12 AM
Crius

Received 251 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Testors Paint is Being Discontinued

I just read at Internet Hobbies that Rustoleum, the parent company of Testors, has decided to cancel ALL HOBBY PAINTS. I'm a huge fan of Model Master enamels so I plan to stock up and I advise anyone else that likes Testors to do the same. I'm already seeing bottles of model master enamel dunkelgelb on ebay for as much as $18 a bottle! I've got two hobby lobbies and a Michael's within striking distance so I'll be in there in the next week or so, doing what I can to stock up on at least the basic colors.

Does anyone know the shelf life on hobby paints? I've had unopened bottles last for almost ten years, but once they're open they go bad much quicker, so if anyone knows anything about the shelf life of paint then please enlighten us.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:03 AM
ksoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Railroad Model Craftsman - May 6, 2020

Testors Discontinues Popular Lines of Model Paint - Railroad Model Craftsman
Old 08-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Crius

Right, that article says they're going to discontinue some of their lines. IH says they're going to scrap them ALL.

Here it is so you can see for yourself

https://internethobbies.com/collecti...-enamel-paints

"Rust-Oleum, the parent company of Testors, has decided to cancel all hobby paints."

Last edited by Crius; 08-26-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Panzer222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First it was model Railroading paints

Now itís military model Colors,,, what give they donít like our money anymore.?
Old 08-26-2020, 02:15 PM
tankme

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts

I would guess that they make way more money off of spray paint and therefore don't care about model paints. With all the new brands of model paints my guess would be that their market share has diminished also. When I was a kid it was either Testors or Tamiya paint in my local hobby store. Nowadays there are so many other acrylics to choose from, but not enamels.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:58 AM
heavyaslead

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

No, not the little square bottles!
Guess have to go with commercial paints now
Old 08-27-2020, 05:59 AM
Crius

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when they said all hobby paints. That's quite a few different lines, but I checked it out and it won't be long before testors simply ceases to exist as a company, even a Child Company. I started out on those little square bottles, about 51 years ago.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:02 AM
Crius

If I get a chance I'll try to do some experiments with the Rust-Oleum spray paint line. They have some colors that are pretty close to what we are used to, especially in their camouflage line. In fact, I've been using their camouflage line as a primer. It sticks really, really well to both plastic and Metal, and my hobby paint stick really well to it. The experiments will be to see how easily you can decant that stuff and use it in an airbrush. It still won't be anywhere near the same as testors model Master enamel, but once those are gone we'll have to do what we have to do.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:17 AM
tankme

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts

I just find most spray paint is too thick. The Tamiya light primer is really nice, but way too expensive.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:23 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

In AZ we have been working with Tru-Color paints as a Testors replacement. They attend our IPMS meetings and take input and feedback and have basically created their military color line in response to IPMS, AMPS-AZ and DAK requests. https://trucolorpaint.com

Check their military paint line and you will see some of my work in the thumbnails. "AXE" "Warpaint" LCVP7A1 and IDF Sherman for example. I am also painting some aircraft now with their line and the colors cover and lay down so well!
I am a fan but pay attention, these are solvent based paints and require good ventilation.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:21 AM
Crius

I checked them out, and my only concern is "solvent based paint" containing acetone. What the hell does that mean? Is it enamel? Lacquer? Nail polish? What happens if you paint over acrylic or enamel? Do you need special primer? What about our traditional weathering materials, like oil based paint and washes? Can you use a flat lacquer clear coat over it?

Last edited by Crius; 08-28-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:06 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Key word is acetone.... I have 2 big fans and an open garage door when I use it. They sell a specific thinner but they also recommend acetone. I have used it (I mix 50/50) and weathered it with acrylics. I use Dullcoat (until I can find it anymore) and Tamiya Clear-coat. As for primer, they sell a fine primer which covers very well. In my experience on the armor models, I never have issues as long as I do the usual surface prep. Just a good cleaning and even the wheel wells of my Tomcat I am working on only needed 1 coat of white!
I like what these guys are doing because they respond to feed back and color suggestions. Their product line was originally for trains and car models but they are a small company and the owners build models.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:20 PM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too bad. I really liked to use their enamels on my 1:35 models. Being able to just have a ton of options laid out in front of me at the store was great. Guess we will just have to buy while we still can.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:09 PM
BorisS1990

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh gee great, now everyone is going to be panic buying model paints. Thanks 2020
Old 07-12-2022, 10:32 AM
rarneyjr14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testers discontinue enamel paints

Testers have discontinued their enamel paints because more and more people are switching to acrylics, such as Vallejo Model and Game Colors, P3,and AK Interactive. I have found these paints mix easier, cover better, and my airbrushes clean with water. No solvents are needed. Plus there are larger ranges of color.