Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Paints to match Taigen RTR's when replacing bits

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Paints to match Taigen RTR's when replacing bits

Old 10-01-2020, 03:26 PM
H2Ohaze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paints to match Taigen RTR's when replacing bits

I haven't found this elsewhere, and I don't need to replace anything yet. But if I was running a Taigen out of the box, and had to replace, say a drive wheel...up to multiple chassis bits at some point, I'd want to match the original tank color as best I could. So collecting a few cans of spray paint to blend in a new wheel might be a good idea. I recognize I can't get it exact, and a good way to go is to just custom paint the whole tank. I'm not skilled in this though, and I'm just trying to match a small new bit. So, any sources for (all metal versions) Soviet green T-34, Sherman 76 dark Olive drab/blk, Panzer III grey, and Tiger 1 Late Yel/brn? Spray can would be handiest. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Try testors model master spray cans for Panzer gray and Afrika mustard, and for the Sherman green the Tamiya green (maybe 66?) is a very good match. The Afrika mustard is a bit dark, so if it's small enough to look good brush painted I'd go with Testors dunkelgelb '43, but that's pretty much only available in acrylic anymore. The enamel is still out there, but very hard to find and expensive when you do. I saw one jar on ebay for $18, a bit too rich for me. But the acrylic is readily available for four or five bucks a jar.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:23 PM
H2Ohaze

Thanks Gary, I sourced the MM in Panzer gray and Afrika Mustard. Also the acrylic Dunkelgelb. Tamiya I see makes a bunch of greens, about five are dark or olive drabbish. No TS-66 listed though. TS-5,TS-61, TS-2, and TS-70 look close for Sherman 76 and maybe even T-34/85. A TS-28 looks almost same as TS-5. Amazingly, in my rubbish box I found a five year old can of TS-5, as well as TS-4 German gray and TS-6 flat black. Don't know if they're still good. If you or anyone can narrow that list further for both the Sherman and T-34 let me know, I'll save the $. Or maybe I just try the old TS-5 on some scrap since I have it.
That just leaves the brownish stripe camo on the late Tiger 1, which is carried thru to the wheels, anyone have a thought on that let me know. Thanks again, Gary and group.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 PM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by H2Ohaze
Thanks Gary, I sourced the MM in Panzer gray and Afrika Mustard. Also the acrylic Dunkelgelb. Tamiya I see makes a bunch of greens, about five are dark or olive drabbish. No TS-66 listed though. TS-5,TS-61, TS-2, and TS-70 look close for Sherman 76 and maybe even T-34/85. A TS-28 looks almost same as TS-5. Amazingly, in my rubbish box I found a five year old can of TS-5, as well as TS-4 German gray and TS-6 flat black. Don't know if they're still good. If you or anyone can narrow that list further for both the Sherman and T-34 let me know, I'll save the $. Or maybe I just try the old TS-5 on some scrap since I have it.
That just leaves the brownish stripe camo on the late Tiger 1, which is carried thru to the wheels, anyone have a thought on that let me know. Thanks again, Gary and group.
TS 28 is a near perfect match for Heng Long Sherman. It is not close to TS 5. TS 5 is a dark green, I swapped airsoft Taigen turrets for unpainted IR turret years ago. I finally found good matches, but went through so many paints, I can't remember which ones finally worked. I'll look through my sample/test cards later. For the Taigen Sherman 76 I believe the closest match was the Krylon Camo green, then striped with flat black to match the hull. If I ever have to do it again, I'll just repaint the whole thing(s). It's better to make it yours, make it unique. Opinion: if parts were replaced in the field, the paint probably would not have been an exact match to the weathered parts on the existing vehicle. So a little mix and match with some weathering might look right at home.

Last edited by BcuriousR; 10-02-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:44 AM
H2Ohaze

Originally Posted by BcuriousR
TS 28 is a near perfect match for Heng Long Sherman. It is not close to TS 5. TS 5 is a dark green, I swapped airsoft Taigen turrets for unpainted IR turret years ago. I finally found good matches, but went through so many paints, I can't remember which ones finally worked. I'll look through my sample/test cards later. For the Taigen Sherman 76 I believe the closest match was the Krylon Camo green, then striped with flat black to match the hull. If I ever have to do it again, I'll just repaint the whole thing(s). It's better to make it yours, make it unique. Opinion: if parts were replaced in the field, the paint probably would not have been an exact match to the weathered parts on the existing vehicle. So a little mix and match with some weathering might look right at home.
Is this the Camo Green: https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K04293...1738725&sr=8-1

On my monitor TS-28 and TS-5 look exactly alike, but that doesn't mean anything.

Using a mismatched color--> realism. Interesting idea. Begs the question do you slightly mismatch a lighter/faded green say...or make more obvious as in primer color, completely rusted wheel next to green ones, etc.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:51 AM
H2Ohaze

Is this the Krylon Camo Green?
Amazon Amazon

Sorry, double post, hit wrong key...

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 10-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:37 AM
BcuriousR

Maybe these photos can help. The first photo is 4 colors over gray primer in direct sunlight. The Taigen 76 is matched pretty well by Krylon Camouflage Olive Flat; The 75mm is closest to Tamiya TS 2, (in my opinion). After Airbrushing matching black edges on the 75mm, the greens were very close. Drive it around in the dirt and dust and looks fine.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:23 PM
H2Ohaze

That's very helpful. My eyes are telling me in picture the Krylon camo is about a match for Sherman 76 olive drab "green". I was thinking it was lighter than the turret in the pic, but I now think that is a trick of the textured surface and the black stripes nearby.

The TS-5 and TS-28 are indeed different.

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 10-03-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:14 PM
BcuriousR

That's very helpful. My eyes are telling me in picture the Krylon camo is about a match for Sherman 76 olive drab "green". I was thinking it was lighter than the turret in the pic, but I now think that is a trick of the textured surface and the black stripes nearby.

The TS-5 and TS-28 are indeed different.
My shop lights too. Very direct light will affect the color at slightly different angles. On the same plane, the color is pretty close. Also, the painted card has been in storage, while the tank itself has been on many battlefields with lots dirt and sunlight.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:02 PM
H2Ohaze

I own a can of Krylon white primer. They make at least two different "COLORmaxx" gray primers one darker than the other. Very confusing. Do you remember what you used? Or maybe you had enough topcoats of the Camo Olive that it didn't make a lot of difference...

Edit: This primer would probably be good enough: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-51...01318/19289963

That almost clears up matching the Panzer III, Sherman 76, and the late Tiger 1 except possibly getting the brownish stripe color for the last. Anyone have any thoughts on the T-34 Soviet Green? Thanks for all of the help again.

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 10-04-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:24 PM
H2Ohaze

Gary, MM Panzer gray is no more. Can't buy it anywhere. Any substitutes?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:23 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Tamiya or Mission Models has Panzer Gray. Tamiya has it in a spray can.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Is the Tamiya Panzer grey acrylic or enamel?
Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 AM
H2Ohaze

Tamiya doesn't list a Panzer Gray. A German Gray, yes...coincidentally, I already have it in my spares box from a few years ago, synthetic lacquer TS-4:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray...4-german-gray/

Don't know if it matches. I think I remember from some thread that "German Gray" at least for uniforms has a touch green in it, but I don't remember anything properly these days The cap looks reasonably gray FWIW...

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 10-13-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:06 PM
MAUS45

Originally Posted by Crius
Is the Tamiya Panzer grey acrylic or enamel?
Gary, it is acrylic in their bottles and enamel in the spray can. I think they also have it in their new lacquer paints as well.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:11 PM
MAUS45

Tamiya doesn't list a Panzer Gray. A German Gray, yes...coincidentally, I already have it in my spares box from a few years ago, synthetic lacquer TS-4:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray...4-german-gray/

Don't know if it matches. I think I remember from some thread that "German Gray" at least for uniforms has a touch green in it, but I don't remember anything properly these days The cap looks reasonably gray FWIW...
Tamiya has a German Field Gray that is the uniform color, but the German Gray or Panzer Gray is the dark gray color for Panzers.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 PM
jonalib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tamiya XF 61 Dark Green is a pretty good match to the Taigen Sherman all metal edition. It is not a great metameric match under fluorescent light and it is ok under incandescent but is a great match under daylight. I tried a bunch of colors before finally asking the shop owner if I could take some bottles outside to check color. I needed it to paint the steel (resin) plates I'm attaching on the side of the hull.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:53 AM
H2Ohaze

Originally Posted by jonalib
The Tamiya XF 61 Dark Green is a pretty good match to the Taigen Sherman all metal edition. It is not a great metameric match under fluorescent light and it is ok under incandescent but is a great match under daylight. I tried a bunch of colors before finally asking the shop owner if I could take some bottles outside to check color. I needed it to paint the steel (resin) plates I'm attaching on the side of the hull.
Sherman 76 Taigen or 75? Did you use a primer?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:12 AM
jonalib

I brushed some out without primer on the bottom of the tank to check the color and it looked good in sunlight. After confirming the color I used Tamiya gray enamel primer and topcoated with the XF61 on some parts and had the same results.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:33 PM
jonalib

Taigen 75 Sherman

Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I just added a few bottles of paint to the site just in case you guys were looking. It isn't all of the colors but I did get some of the more popular colors they use. I'll get more in the future if you guys need. Also I know the two greys are very close in the picture, I got another up close to show the difference.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:17 PM
H2Ohaze

Thanks Erik. Nice to have those available. They are under paint brush category. I'm guessing that "dark green" is the Sherman 76, the "green" is the T-34, possibly the Sherman 75 (?), "brown" and "sand" would be for the Late Tiger 1 if mixed right, one of the grays for the PIII...?
Old 10-23-2020, 01:25 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Erik. Nice to have those available. They are under paint brush category. I'm guessing that "dark green" is the Sherman 76, the "green" is the T-34, possibly the Sherman 75 (?), "brown" and "sand" would be for the Late Tiger 1 if mixed right, one of the grays for the PIII...?
Not 100% sure there, they just sent over the top 6 colors. Lots are hand mixed so expect to color match a bit. If interest is there I'll get more colors on the next shipment for everyone or even possibly stock some popular paint brands. I see we are having an issue with the market shrinking, any extra vendor helps there. Our brushes are actually really nice too, we use a German manufacturer that has been making brushes for over 120 years. They are actually huge sellers here and we sell a large amount to dealers all over the US, if you need some brushes check us out next time. If you don't see what you want then message us and ask, it never hurts!
Old 10-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Torro Tank Paint

Visit here: https://www.torro-shop.de/WW-II-Germ...Solution-Box_1