Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Weathering bogies and sprockets

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Weathering bogies and sprockets

Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 PM
jonalib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weathering bogies and sprockets

Another question from the new guy. I'm currently trying to weather a Taigen Sherman. I have the accessories and stowage all painted and weathered now its time to start on the tank. What are things to be careful of when painting / weathering the bogies and sprockets and inner fenders or any moving parts. Not planning on taking the tank apart. I'm not looking to make it diorama worthy but want it to look good when its battling in the back yard. I've seen things like the hobby mud at the hobby shops but I'm very hesitant to do anything that I think may affect the operation of the tank. I built and flew RC planes for years and I'm more accustom to keeping everything clean and neat. Really appreciate any input.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:51 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In my experience as a battler.... the bogies will weather themselves.... I am saying this as a desert dweller..... I haven't put too much weathering on my vehicles suspension components as you will need to do PM from time to time. I will air brush layers of "dust" and do washes but that is about it..
Old 10-20-2020, 08:55 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

An example is my latest Taigen Sherman.... weathering itself!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 PM
Fsttanks

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Naturally weathered bogies and road wheels. Just drive the tank and let the dirt, mud and dust build up. It doesn’t take long.

Tamiya IDF M51/M4

T34-85

Tamiya Abrams
Old 10-20-2020, 10:01 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. There is no sense making thick "mud" effect like on static models. During operation this fake mud tends to fall off.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:46 AM
jonalib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys, really appreciate your advice. Looks like a light wash is all I'll be doing on the hull and drive areas. I really need to find a good place to run in the dirt. Doesn't get very dirty in the grass or on the patio. Thanks again.

Last edited by jonalib; 10-21-2020 at 05:02 AM.