Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Help with Tamiya Pershing

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help with Tamiya Pershing

Old 10-25-2020, 07:23 AM
VPaladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tamiya Pershing

Hi, I am new to RC. I have a Finespec 2.4G Transmitter set to Tank A and an M26 Pershing T26E3. I cannot get any of the 10 function buttons to work. Using the trim, joystick method I can get the Main gun to fire once in a blue moon, but never the machine gun or other functions, lights etc. Also is there a way to put the tank fwd/back and turn on one joystick abd the current rotation barrel up and down on the other?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-25-2020, 09:16 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The Tamiya DMD only uses the 2 sticks, your 10 extra buttons have no function (unless you want to connect additional devices to your receiver). To get a Tamiya to function like a Heng Long you simply swap the plugs for turret traverse and steering around in the receiver.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Finespec radio is really designed for the modern Tamiya tanks such as the M1 Abrams, Type 10, Leopard 2a6 or Sheridan which all have enhanced features built in to their stock electronics.

The Finespec radio buttons are pre-programmed for specific functions by Tamiya, albeit for the modern tanks. Since the Pershing isn't a modern tank, I think it may be likely one can adapt the radio to fire your cannon and mg with a bit of effort. I suggest you review this excellent video on the Finespec radio by user "PitStain" here.

As to setting up the drive functions on one stick and the turret functions on the other, follow Ex Pat Tanker's excellent advice and just move the appropriate plugs (from the DMD) into different slots on the receiver until you get the functions you want. If you are uncertain, I suggest getting a cheap servo and plug it into the receiver to help identify what each channel does. Just don't unplug the rudder channel, as that's the channel that provides the power to the receiver.
The following users liked this post:
Ex_Pat_Tanker (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Tip, setting up drive functions:

The receiver slot 1 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 4

The receiver slot 2 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 3
The receiver slot 3 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 2
The receiver slot 4 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 1

Reserving receiver slots 2 and 3 is an option.

As stated above by others, a better “plug and play” approach for the very old Pershing kit DMD MFU controllers is a Futaba 2.4 rc 4 channel radio with two self centering sticks.

If in the USA: You can get a Futaba 2,4 rc radio with “a self centering left stick kit” (easy DIY install) from the AAF Museum, call them or go online, and that is/was what many USA rc tankers use/used with the Tamiya Pershing RC Tank Kit over the years.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 10-25-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:34 PM
VPaladin

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
Tip, setting up drive functions:

The receiver slot 1 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 4

The receiver slot 2 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 3
The receiver slot 3 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 2
The receiver slot 4 should have the DMD MFU lead marked channel 1

Reserving receiver slots 2 and 3 is an option.

As stated above by others, a better “plug and play” approach for the very old Pershing kit DMD MFU controllers is a Futaba 2.4 rc 4 channel radio with two self centering sticks.

If in the USA: You can get a Futaba 2,4 rc radio with “a self centering left stick kit” (easy DIY install) from the AAF Museum, call them or go online, and that is/was what many USA rc tankers use/used with the Tamiya Pershing RC Tank Kit over the years.
Thank You Pcomm1.v2
I might get a Futaba and save the FineSpec for a modern tank.
Can you let me know what Model Futuba and where to get the joystick self centering kit?

Old 10-25-2020, 10:37 PM
VPaladin

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
The Tamiya DMD only uses the 2 sticks, your 10 extra buttons have no function (unless you want to connect additional devices to your receiver). To get a Tamiya to function like a Heng Long you simply swap the plugs for turret traverse and steering around in the receiver.
Thank You Ex Pat Tanker
I will try the swap and see if the features (guns) work.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:40 PM
VPaladin

Thank You Jeff489
I think the video of Pitstain shows a modern tank.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:29 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

This may help you:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/radios/
Old 10-26-2020, 04:51 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default AAF Museum Futaba 4YF Transmitter – 4-Channel FHSS RC Radio System:

https://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4YF

For the self center transmitter left stick kit call or email:

If you have any questions please call Natasha or Karen at 434-836-5323. We appreciate your support and look forward to helping you with anything you need.

Futaba parts required:
a. Qty one, Item HSP78901, Description 1M10A10401, ST-53 Swing Arm
b. Qty one, Item HSP67450, Description 8M00F01001, ST-411 Spring

Another vendor: Pre COVID-19 source. Try to Order the Left Side Stick Centering Kit; Contact at:

Hobby Services
3002 N Apollo Drive
Suite 1
Champaign, IL 61822
1-217-398-0007

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 10-26-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Our colleague John brought us a link,
I am afraid that is exactly the kind of a radio that nobody should never, ever, get, or pay more than 10 euros free shipping for it. Take a look at it:

Fortunately or not is not 1980 anymore, so for almost what you pay for it, you can get today this:

Some of the reasons of why to get a decent radio are already explained in my link, two posts above.

Anyway If you are not willing to face a radio with so many features and you are 100% happy with the the most elemental functions, then, you can get this for 20 euros at hobbyking with both sticks self centering

And you will save 100 bucks in the process.

Of course there are tons of radios in the middle of those two extremes, and almost all of them is a much better deal than the aged futaba 4 ch radios.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:09 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That T6 is actually a pretty decent radio. I've had several of them and if you have an aftermarket board like a Clark or an IBU, in an airsoft tank, it's really all the radio that you need. It gives very good control for the price and the only thing I don't like about it is that you have to buy the programming cable in order to change Servo Direction. A step up from that is the Turnigy or FlySky I6, another great radio for a decent price, fifty bucks or less, and that one does not need a programming cable to program the servos and assign switches. My favorite is the FlySky I-10, easiest radio to use that I've ever found, but everybody has their own individual favorite and opinions on what is the best radio are as widely varied as RC tankers.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 AM
VPaladin

Thank You Rad,
Very Informative. I am told that my basic problem is the electronics in the Pershing will not support the buttons on newer radios like the Finespec. The problem is getting the trim/joystick movements to work reliably. Sometimes the gun works, sometimes the machine gun. If a resetup the limits on the joystick I get different functions to work but not all. I am thinking the Futuba might be more reliable because I would not need to do the setup.
Tony
Old 10-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by VPaladin
Thank You Rad,
Very Informative. I am told that my basic problem is the electronics in the Pershing will not support the buttons on newer radios like the Finespec. The problem is getting the trim/joystick movements to work reliably. Sometimes the gun works, sometimes the machine gun. If a resetup the limits on the joystick I get different functions to work but not all. I am thinking the Futuba might be more reliable because I would not need to do the setup.
Tony
The problem with the Finespec is that it comes "pre programmed" for using with the newer tamiya electronics, hence the buttons might not work as they are with the older tamiya electronics.
In fact you can forget about those buttons and just use the sticks for driving and all the extra functions, just recalibrate the tamiya units as per the manual, but instead of moving the stick to the end points, move them about a 75%. Once calibrated, when you move the stick to the end position fast, it will trigger the desired functions. Done, you dont need to get any other radio, you just need it to propper calibrate the tamiya electronics.

But of course any true programmable radio will let you asign any switch to any function. I used to have tamiya electronics and I shooted the cannon flicking a swich, the machine gun with another switch, and lights with a third switch, as shown here with more modern electronics:

Or even here, in this small video, each sound is triggered by a different switch. All those sounds are in only one channel, that is something that you will never be able to do with those futaba and finespecs radios. (voices translated in the video description)

But as I said, any radio will work and for the pershing you just need to recalibrate the DMD-MFU units. And nope, Futaba is not more reliable, it is just more expensive. You are paying the brand that once was very good but slept since then.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Pcomm1.v2

But as I said, any radio will work and for the pershing you just need to recalibrate the DMD-MFU units. And nope, Futaba is not more reliable, it is just more expensive. You are paying the brand that once was very good but slept since the

Hope it helps.

Hi Rad, ...no one cares dude. John

Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
But as I said, any radio will work and for the pershing you just need to recalibrate the DMD-MFU units. And nope, Futaba is not more reliable, it is just more expensive. You are paying the brand that once was very good but slept since the

Hope it helps.

Hi Rad, ...no one cares dude. John
Yes, people do care. Considering the heaps of views that I get daily on my website and all the people that writes me there and in other sites, many of them wanting to learn how to do the things I do, and many of them just saying thanks for taking the time to show it, people do care. And I am glad for it.

Even if I just helped only one guy in the world, it was well worth it.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:05 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Cool

Good for you.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:12 PM
VPaladin

To all those that helped, Thank You
My problem is solved.
I did both a recalibration of the MFU, did the channel swap (swaped the plugs at the reciever) as well as glued the turrent gear. I put small marks on the turrent and tank so the I could power rotate the turrent to aligh the notches on the turrent for removal. The channel swap worked so I have tank movement on the left and turrent/gun movement on the right. Great! While testing this to see if the swap affected how the trim/stick worked I discoved if I moved the stick and the trim at the same time machine gun and the main gun functions worked. I had been moving the trim first then the stick quickly. This was not in the instructions as far as I can tell. Every thing working but the lights which I never expect to use anyway. This was a build for my grandson. I can look into the lights later, I plan on puting in a DPDT switch so I can charge the battery without removing the turrent. Your comments will come in useful if I build another tank, but I have half a dozen builds on my bench now, including the BIG titantic with the option kit.
Thanks Again
Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 PM
Rad_Schuhart

To all those that helped, Thank You
My problem is solved.
I did both a recalibration of the MFU, did the channel swap (swaped the plugs at the reciever) as well as glued the turrent gear. I put small marks on the turrent and tank so the I could power rotate the turrent to aligh the notches on the turrent for removal. The channel swap worked so I have tank movement on the left and turrent/gun movement on the right. Great! While testing this to see if the swap affected how the trim/stick worked I discoved if I moved the stick and the trim at the same time machine gun and the main gun functions worked. I had been moving the trim first then the stick quickly. This was not in the instructions as far as I can tell. Every thing working but the lights which I never expect to use anyway. This was a build for my grandson. I can look into the lights later, I plan on puting in a DPDT switch so I can charge the battery without removing the turrent. Your comments will come in useful if I build another tank, but I have half a dozen builds on my bench now, including the BIG titantic with the option kit.
Thanks Again
Great to see you got it working.Yet again I suggest you to recalibrate the unit moving the stick a 75% of the travel or so (not to the end points) so you can use the shoot function, machine gun and the lights (lights are cool! I love them, lol) without touching the trims at all.
But if you like the trim way, lets do it that way, lol.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:26 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Sounds like you have things well in hand, but I have to say that charging the battery inside the tank is a very bad idea. I know some guys do it, but I know guys that have lost their tanks that way to fire. Most nimh batteries are perfectly safe and no problem, but with a piece that expensive, why would you take the chance? I never charge my batteries inside the tank, even my nimh batteries go into a Kevlar bag when they're charging. I've never had any incident while charging a battery, but I always obey all the safety rules and hopefully I never will have an incident charging a battery. In the end, it's your tank and you can do it anyway you want to, but I'm sure there are many others here who will agree that charging a battery inside a tank is always a bad idea.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Agree

Not worth the risk! John
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb

While testing this to see if the swap affected how the trim/stick worked I discoved if I moved the stick and the trim at the same time machine gun and the main gun functions worked. I had been moving the trim first then the stick quickly. This was not in the instructions as far as I can tell. Every thing working but the lights which I never expect to use anyway. This was a build for my grandson.
Maybe I can chip in on that?

OpenTX capable transmitters, like my FrSky Horus X12S, can be programmed fairly easily to deal with the lack of analogue trimmers on modern transmitters like can be seen here with my ( third-party upgraded ) Tamiya #56020 Leopard 2A7+ youtu.be/VNP6Dstz6wc - I also have another video somewhat explaining the general concept behind it: youtu.be/Xl5bbwVtAXk - Should technically be applicable to any dual rate capable remote. If all fails Painless360 on YouTube has an excellent playlist of OpenTX dedicate Videos.

Speakin of Transmitters... Team Blacksheep also makes an OpenTX capable and quite affordable Tango 2 being somewhat reminiscent of a Gamepad - Maybe something of interest to your Grandson due to the smaller than usual size? IDK...

OpenTX used to be kinda gimmicky overkill due to the barely used capabilities but ever since I added a 2-Axis Stabilizer to my L2A7+ ( the first linked video ) it pretty much saved my bacon with getting that 3rd party board to work in harmony with the rest of the DMD-T07 - The Developer of that board apparently expected for a user to also use their particular Transmitters that deal with the issues I experienced in their but thanks to the programmability of OpenTX I've been able to solve it myself - Just had to dig a little deeper than usual 😁