Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

TORRO Panzer IVG - Cannon and Engine Sounds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

TORRO Panzer IVG - Cannon and Engine Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Ghost@amps1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarndice
I would never want to find myself needing more channels which is what a 6 channel receiver would do when I could have bought a transmitter/Receiver with more channels than I needed simply because I can always find a use for any extra channels
.Much better to have a receiver with spare channels than a receiver with not enough.
4 Sure. Any suggestions for an upgraded 10ch RC Tx that also operates a small 4 servo receiver compatible for a Taigen tank?
Old 12-30-2020, 09:13 AM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Get a Radiomaster TX16S and you will never need any other radio. It works with practically any receiver made. Look at online reviews. Best one out there.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:22 AM
Tankster

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/radios/
do yourself a big favor and follow this link for some of the best info available. Explore the site for many electronic reviews and recommendations.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:29 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Flysky i10
Old 12-30-2020, 12:30 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by Ghost@amps1
Flysky i? 10 TC = Turret Control?
tank commander
Old 12-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Flysky i10
Sorry but disagree for several reasons:
1) Discontinnued/no longer for sale.
2) Software is abandoned (open source updates almost every week)
3) Not possible to fit multiprotocol modules. (Other radios come with it built in)
4) Only 10 channels. More and more boards are using 16.
5) Not enough switches, and many of them are two pos switches.
6) Very limited programming.

Sure it is much, much, MUCH better than other flyskyes or futabas/carsons, but as today, there are much better alternatives.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-30-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:55 PM
Crius

4 Sure. Any suggestions for an upgraded 10ch RC Tx that also operates a small 4 servo receiver compatible for a Taigen tank?
The first thing to consider is your skill level. If you're good with programming like Rad, and you can follow all it takes to program a radio like Rad uses, then definitely get whatever radio he advises. However, if you're like me, and can't program your way out of a paper bag, I still suggest you look for the one feature on the i10 I won't live without, and that's the wonderful help section. With the i10, if I want to do something but don't know how, I can usually go to the built in help section and the radio will teach me how to do what I want to do. I run my 1/6 Hetzer on the i10, with the .50 caliber paintball cannon and the FPV and the laser sighting, and most of the stuff I wanted to do with the radio, the radio had to teach me how to do it. But that's the point, even the stuff I didn't know how to do turned out to be easy to do with this radio. Oh yeah, this radio has full telemetry capability, so you can read stuff like battery voltage and motor rpm right from the TX. It's still easily available on ebay and if it really has been discontinued I might get another while I can, I like it that much. Once it's set for what I want it to do it will stay that way, so future upgrades don't really mean much to me. And to me open source doesn't mean much as I shouldn't ever have to update the TX in my application. Probably couldn't figger out how to do that if I wanted to anyway.

For me one of the most frustrating things about this hobby is when I get in over my head, very easy to do with electronics. The i10 helped me get past most of that. Like I said, if you can come anywhere close to Rad's abilities with programming then definitely get whatever TX he advises, but think about how easy it will be for YOU to use. If you can't get it to do what you want it's just an expensive paperweight.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:13 PM
Ghost@amps1

Originally Posted by H2Ohaze
wrt low speed and stick feel on 7:1 Sherman 76: Yes, I am happy with it. I still have to start with a touch light on the stick...but instead of a big jump forward, I get a movement of two inches max of "lunge"... and at more like a crawl speed. IOW a momentary push to the stick and it will not jump forward more than 2 inches, if that. It can be controlled very well, turned better too. Taking it up an 12 degree incline, it seems to have more torque also. The speed seems to "fit" the stick travel more than stock 3:1 380. This was the only tank I owned that I wasn't happy with the speed and this swap fixed that.

It depends on a lot of things of course. I will never try 7:1 with my 15 pound Tiger 1 metal, the stock 4:1 390 motors work well there. My PIII has an 5:1 380 installed, which is about a 46:1 ratio...it's about right.YMMV
Do you you know of any site that stocks mid/low 5:1 gears/boxes that would somehow fit into a Taigen Pz4 G or even F2?
Old 12-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Ghost@amps1

Thumbs up

The first thing to consider is your skill level. If you're good with programming like Rad, and you can follow all it takes to program a radio like Rad uses, then definitely get whatever radio he advises. However, if you're like me, and can't program your way out of a paper bag, I still suggest you look for the one feature on the i10 I won't live without, and that's the wonderful help section. With the i10, if I want to do something but don't know how, I can usually go to the built in help section and the radio will teach me how to do what I want to do. I run my 1/6 Hetzer on the i10, with the .50 caliber paintball cannon and the FPV and the laser sighting, and most of the stuff I wanted to do with the radio, the radio had to teach me how to do it. But that's the point, even the stuff I didn't know how to do turned out to be easy to do with this radio. Oh yeah, this radio has full telemetry capability, so you can read stuff like battery voltage and motor rpm right from the TX. It's still easily available on ebay and if it really has been discontinued I might get another while I can, I like it that much. Once it's set for what I want it to do it will stay that way, so future upgrades don't really mean much to me. And to me open source doesn't mean much as I shouldn't ever have to update the TX in my application. Probably couldn't figger out how to do that if I wanted to anyway.

For me one of the most frustrating things about this hobby is when I get in over my head, very easy to do with electronics. The i10 helped me get past most of that. Like I said, if you can come anywhere close to Rad's abilities with programming then definitely get whatever TX he advises, but think about how easy it will be for YOU to use. If you can't get it to do what you want it's just an expensive paperweight.
My computer and programming skills are low so I'd be referring to the help feature quite a bit (probably print it out too) and being to the voltage on the tank batteries would be QUITE useful for me among other things I'm sure and the i10 Tx along with it's mini in-tank receiver isn't overly priced.

FlySky's i8 models and receivers have been discontinued.
Tks for your help thus far and try to stay cool
Old 12-30-2020, 03:04 PM
Ghost@amps1

Smile

Originally Posted by jarndice
Probably the most common modification carried out is the fitting of the Heng Long Tiger 1 Plastic/ABS Body to Taigens Metal Hull,
It really is a very rewarding alteration and very easy to carry out.
Thx, and again good to know but hopefully I'll never get in THAT deep, lol
Old 12-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Ghost@amps1

tank commander
No way do I want a spooky looking moving man doll anywhere near my tank
Old 12-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Ghost@amps1

Both the RM i12 and i16 have great reviews.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:42 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Tanksters Tiger 1 Commander really is something to see and it raises the bar on what I have come to expect as the Norm in R/C.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Tankster

Jarndice! I owe you everything when it comes to my Tiger’s detailing and without that I would never have bothered with animating the commander. You pushed me in the direction of realism with your initial subtle suggestions. They were all well taken and by the way, I wish you the very best of health my friend.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:19 PM
H2Ohaze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wrt the 5:1 gearing: this is sold by ForgeBear in UK. Crius sold me a set he had. I bought my PIII specifically for this gearbox. The PIII is the lightest and smallest 1/16 tank they sell, and because of this, is a good addition to my stable of four tanks: each feels a little different. A short barrel can be aimed fast and doesn't hit trees while traversing.

I have heard 5:1 can fit other tanks, I think I heard PIV and Tiger1, not sure. My goal when upgrading gearboxes is to try and get a drop-in fit; if the Taigen engineer designed it to work, then go for it, otherwise don't do extra. Trouble. The PIII 5:1 refit included the gearboxes fitting past a number of counterbored recesses in the chassis; it had been machined to accept the 5:1 upgrade from factory! Screw heads from gearbox slid into recesses in chassis and all lined up!

BUT...the 5:1 is 46:1 and I think it works well for the PIII, I don't think that ratio works well for the heavier Sherman 76. I like the 76:1 of the 7:1 AGAIN for my Sherman. The motors now turn approx twice for the stock distance track traveled before. The noise doesn't bother me at all. Honestly.

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 12-30-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Crius

No way do I want a spooky looking moving man doll anywhere near my tank
Old 12-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Crius

The dual ratio gearboxes (what they call 5:1) are good only for light tanks like the PIII and PIV. I tried a set in a metal King Tiger and let the magic smoke get loose.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:15 PM
Ghost@amps1

to each their own I guess
Old 12-30-2020, 10:50 PM
Ghost@amps1

wrt the 5:1 gearing: this is sold by ForgeBear in UK. Crius sold me a set he had. I bought my PIII specifically for this gearbox. The PIII is the lightest and smallest 1/16 tank they sell, and because of this, is a good addition to my stable of four tanks: each feels a little different. A short barrel can be aimed fast and doesn't hit trees while traversing.

I have heard 5:1 can fit other tanks, I think I heard PIV and Tiger1, not sure. My goal when upgrading gearboxes is to try and get a drop-in fit; if the Taigen engineer designed it to work, then go for it, otherwise don't do extra. Trouble. The PIII 5:1 refit included the gearboxes fitting past a number of counterbored recesses in the chassis; it had been machined to accept the 5:1 upgrade from factory! Screw heads from gearbox slid into recesses in chassis and all lined up!

BUT...the 5:1 is 46:1 and I think it works well for the PIII, I don't think that ratio works well for the heavier Sherman 76. I like the 76:1 of the 7:1 AGAIN for my Sherman. The motors now turn approx twice for the stock distance track traveled before. The noise doesn't bother me at all. Honestly.
I don't think it's the size of the gears anymore that make it sound louder, but the size of the engines. The 380s do 2800rpm while the 390s do 5000rpm? That's a difference of 2000rpm. Higher gear ratio, the slower the speed but more torque - the lower the gear ratio, the faster the speed and less torque.

I believe you when you say that the noise doesn't bother you anymore but it would end up irritating me as I've heard the 380 engines first hand in a 3:1 Taigen Pz4 G on YouTube today.

Last edited by Ghost@amps1; 12-31-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:55 PM
Ghost@amps1

Not only creepy but evil looking too - a skeletal Hitler man doll. Different strokes . . .
Old 12-31-2020, 08:06 AM
H2Ohaze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wrt motor rpm: as I posted before, and also stated on the Taigen V3 Gearbox Thoughts thread, and available on websites that sell the motors where I found out about it, Taigen 380 is 18,000 rpm (or 18K rpm); 390 motor prior to the advent of the 7:1 V3 was stated on various websites as 25K rpm. NOW, on the Taigen V3 Gearbox Thoughts thread, Erik-Imex chimes in at one point and states he thinks that the new V3 7:1 GB have 390 motors that are 18K rpm, not 25K, matching that of the 380 motors. But he says he has to check on that, and he never posted back wrt.

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 12-31-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:06 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Higher gear ratio, the slower the speed but more torque - the lower the gear ratio, the faster the speed and less torque.
I think you meant to say "using the same motor". So typically you will get more torque as you slow the motor down and less torque as you speed the motor up through gearing. Higher gearing = more speed/less torque. Lower gearing = more torque/less speed. The issue is when you use a bigger motor you can get more speed AND more torque due to the larger, more powerful motor. The 390 motor has a longer case length to enclose a longer stator. The 390 in this case is faster and has more torque. Its torque curve may fall off the faster it goes, but RPM for RPM compared to a 380, the 390 it will have more torque mounted to the same gearbox.

Of course you can throw all of this out the window if someone custom winds the motor. You could have a 390 motor that is less powerful than a 380 motor, but I see no reason to do that in our use cases for tanks.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:26 AM
Ghost@amps1

Read the thread link I posted above. Erik explains everything. Later in thread, I post pics and opinions on swapping from stock 3:1 V1 380 gearboxes in my Sherman to 7:1 V3 390 motors.

Quick summary: stock 3:1 gear ratio is 39:1... 4:1 is 90:1...7:1 new V3 is 76:1. 380 motors are 18k rpm; 390 motors are 25k rpm, except Erik is not sure of rpm in the 7:1 case- may be 18k rpm. And yes I'm very happy with the V3 76:1 in Sherman. Other tanks, not sure how I'd feel.

When I say "V1, V2, V3" I'm not talking about board generation, but gearbox generation, completely different. V3 just came out and is new, and is the 7:1. These 76:1 are supposed to be drop in fits, although the Sherman was quite tight, as per my pics in the thread.
Have known this for quite some time and will probably stick with the faster but quieter stock 3:1 system with the 380's until soon afterwards when I also get an upgraded Tx and receiver for my Pz4 G.
Your new 7:1 system was tighter than the older 3:1 system cuz the 7:1 is 3mm wider
Old 12-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Ghost@amps1

Originally Posted by tankme
I think you meant to say "using the same motor". So typically you will get more torque as you slow the motor down and less torque as you speed the motor up through gearing. Higher gearing = more speed/less torque. Lower gearing = more torque/less speed. The issue is when you use a bigger motor you can get more speed AND more torque due to the larger, more powerful motor. The 390 motor has a longer case length to enclose a longer stator. The 390 in this case is faster and has more torque. Its torque curve may fall off the faster it goes, but RPM for RPM compared to a 380, the 390 it will have more torque mounted to the same gearbox.

Of course you can throw all of this out the window if someone custom winds the motor. You could have a 390 motor that is less powerful than a 380 motor, but I see no reason to do that in our use cases for tanks.
Should have added torque differences because of tank weight and terrain as well but oh well . . .
No there's no sense for me to update my gearbox system at all after I get the tank as soon afterwards will be purchasing an upgraded transmitter and receiver that has more channels and servo ports for the PZ4 G that is compatible

Old 01-02-2021, 07:34 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a heavily modified HL Pz IV Ausf G (DAK). Pz IV Ausf G DAK Build

The Taigen tank looks like a good one for trying out and seeing you like the hobby. If you're serious about detailing it or making eventual improvements, I recommend a lot of research about the tank series and the unit you want to model. I also recommend that you scour the various RC Tank forums and find builds that give you examples of what others have done. Some things you may want to imitate, and some you might not. I recommend starting with stock and learning from there.

Some builds that may interest you. All of them use HL (what was available at the time) tanks with other aftermarket upgrades, including the Asiatam metal hull, which slightly pre-dated the Taigen hull.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...zer-iv-f1.html
Panzer 4 F2 HL IR (posted July 06, 2010)
Frosty's HL Panzer IV Build
https://www.heng-long-panzerforum.co...%BChe-version/ (uses Asiatam's metal lower hull)
https://www.heng-long-panzerforum.co...e-von-asiatam/ (also uses Asiatam's metal lower hull and shows one of the track tensioners)

A few of the threads I found most helpful don't seem to exist anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.