Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Unused Tamiya MF-01 Plugs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Unused Tamiya MF-01 Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 AM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Unused Tamiya MF-01 Plugs?

Greetings!

During the build of my #56016 M26 Pershing I came across an addon Manual documenting an installation change regarding the Lighting Unit in Step 33 as can be seen here:
Original:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0GvmN64.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	891.9 KB
ID:	2269130
The Original uses one 3-PIN Connector attached to CN9.

Addon:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2dMJXsT.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	722.9 KB
ID:	2269131
Whereas the Addon now uses both a 3-PIN and a 2-PIN Connector attached to CN9 and CN5 respectively with the latter first needing to have its dummy connector removed.

Now... I also own a #56018 King Tiger which by default has no option for a Lighting Unit, but it does have some unused Connectors similar to the CN5 one - I recall them being called OPT1 / OPT2 ( "Optional"? )
Does anyone know if those OPT Connectors can be used to drive additional features like lights? If so, would they require a similar Light Unit like the one used in the M26 Pershing or could they maybe drive a Light themselves?

Cheers 🙂
Old 01-14-2021, 02:20 PM
ronnie42

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is another way to power up lights on Tamiya tanks, use a servo hack to switch lights on and off if you have 5 or more channels .Saves messing about with the Tamiya MFU would be expensive if something shorted out or used wrong socket. A little video and a pic of an old servo converted to power lights.

Servo hack ,use wires for motor to power a plug.

Last edited by ronnie42; 01-14-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:13 AM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Well ain't that some **** 😅
Are you using the servo to mechanically close the circuit or are you hijacking its PCB to do that electronically?

My King Tiger...

Tamiya #56020 King Tiger

...currently uses one of those
RC Light Modules RC Light Modules
but it too uses a spare channel of my Receiver and while it technically isn't an issue it kind of is the thought that counts 😆
Old 01-17-2021, 07:49 AM
ronnie42

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Durahl Nice KT i like the Ambush camo , took me a while to sum up the courage to try painting ambush camo . The servo gears were shot. Removed the motor and soldered 2 jst sockets onto the wires , the servo board just puts out a +ve or -ve voltage depending on the switch position on the Transmitter. Should buy some of the servo switches you use to try out.