Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer V/IV

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 07:23 PM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Panzer V/IV

Anyone ever thought of building one of these? I use them in video games and thought is would a unique tank to make. It seems simple enough, just a Panzer IV turret on a Panzer V chassis. Doing a budget build might be cool. Any thoughts?

Old 01-17-2021, 01:51 AM
Pnzjgr

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to know too. Have a Taigen Panthe F that I would love to inter-change the turret with a Taigen Panzer IV turret. Please let us know if you have.

I'm a otr trucker....if no one will answer us I do have both in storage...I will get them out and check but it won't be until Feb 4th that I can look..

Duane
Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easiest would be to get the Taigen Panther and buy the PzIV turret separately. Taigen uses a standard size for the all of the turret rings and holes in the upper hull. So, it should be straight shot.

Same with HL if you wanted to go that route, instead.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:29 AM
Pnzjgr

Outstanding!!!! Thank you so much for answering his and .my question!

Now I have go soon to my club's tank battle and get a vote on weather it would be considered a heavy tank or medium....Panthers are considered heavy with our club.

www.desertarmor.com

Duane

I need to get the turret schuzen for my Taigen Panzer IV Auzf G. Will add the link to get Schurzen when I'm on my laptop in 5-6 hours.

Last edited by Pnzjgr; 01-17-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:38 PM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

I would say it would be a medium. Lets just think about it. The Panzer IV had a smaller gun and smaller turret. That would significantly lighten the load making it much faster. I would vote medium.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Pnzjgr

Smile

Originally Posted by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
I would say it would be a medium. Lets just think about it. The Panzer IV had a smaller gun and smaller turret. That would significantly lighten the load making it much faster. I would vote medium.
Thank you! Talked to club president and he said yes go ahead! Thank you edoubleaz!!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:01 PM
Pnzjgr

Here is the link for the Panzer IV Turret Schurzen:

https://www.ozarmour.com.au/store/ac...d-printed.html

And a photo of the real tank.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:45 PM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Yea the Panzer V/IV really is a cool tank. Who thinks a company should mass produce some of these. I mean it would not be hard to DIY, but still would be a cool idea. The other panther style tank i can think of that i wish a company would make is a Skorpion G. I would spend some money on a tank like this!

The following users liked this post:
Pnzjgr (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 09:15 PM
Pnzjgr

Omg I love that tank, I loved playing it in wot until I quit.....almost draws me back to play again. Lol
Old 01-18-2021, 03:56 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnzjgr
Here is the link for the Panzer IV Turret Schurzen:

https://www.ozarmour.com.au/store/ac...d-printed.html

And a photo of the real tank.

The PzIV/V that you show in the photo could be grouped in the same category as the PzV. The Panther had a 75-mm gun; the late PzIVs (shown in that turret) also had 75-mm guns. The weight of the turret didn't really affect the heavy vs medium classification so much as the armor thickness. The PzV turrets weren't as thick as the PzVI turrets, which is why they are generally considered medium tanks.

Looking at the Porsche Tiger sitting on the same rail car as the PzIV/V, I wonder if this is the final days and defense of Germany. At that point they would be cobbling together anything they could. And, that would make this PzIV/V a 1-of vehicle. Best to leave it as a custom project rather than a mass produced item.
Pnzjgr (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:28 AM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

The PzIV/V that you show in the photo could be grouped in the same category as the PzV. The Panther had a 75-mm gun; the late PzIVs (shown in that turret) also had 75-mm guns. The weight of the turret didn't really affect the heavy vs medium classification so much as the armor thickness. The PzV turrets weren't as thick as the PzVI turrets, which is why they are generally considered medium tanks.

Looking at the Porsche Tiger sitting on the same rail car as the PzIV/V, I wonder if this is the final days and defense of Germany. At that point they would be cobbling together anything they could. And, that would make this PzIV/V a 1-of vehicle. Best to leave it as a custom project rather than a mass produced item.
Yea you are probobly right about the Panzer V/IV.

I do think that the Skorpion G would a cool tank to custom make. Definitly a 3d print type of project. The upper hull would need some modification, though, but I do not think it would be that hard.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:31 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnzjgr
Outstanding!!!! Thank you so much for answering his and .my question!

Now I have go soon to my club's tank battle and get a vote on weather it would be considered a heavy tank or medium....Panthers are considered heavy with our club.

www.desertarmor.com

Duane

I am a little confused as to why one is named a "Heavy" (The PZV) and the other (The PZ4) a "Medium" in your club as they both carried the same 75mm gun and consequently the German designation for both the PZ4 and the PZV was "Medium Tank" although the first time I saw the two together in the Bovington Tank museum I was surprised at how small the PZ4 was when compared to the the Panther V and then I saw 131 the Tiger 1 and it sure looked like heavy to me with the immensely powerful 88mm.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:02 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
I am a little confused as to why one is named a "Heavy" (The PZV) and the other (The PZ4) a "Medium"
RCACN rules classify tanks based on average armour thickness, not gun size.

http://www.bayareatankers.org/Intell...atified03_.htm

Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker; 01-18-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:09 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
I am a little confused as to why one is named a "Heavy" (The PZV) and the other (The PZ4) a "Medium" in your club as they both carried the same 75mm gun and consequently the German designation for both the PZ4 and the PZV was "Medium Tank" although the first time I saw the two together in the Bovington Tank museum I was surprised at how small the PZ4 was when compared to the the Panther V and then I saw 131 the Tiger 1 and it sure looked like heavy to me with the immensely powerful 88mm.
I read somewhere that the Germans classified tanks based on gun calibre hence the Pz IV and Panther are medium while the Tiger and King Tiger with their 88s are heavy.

I’ve played my Panther both as a medium and as a heavy and heavy tanks with more hit points are more forgiving of mistakes while experienced players who can avoid getting shot will benefit from the higher ROF of medium.

For what it’s worth though the WOT Pz IV/V is a paper panzer as the real tank’s turret is a dummy and cannot be traversed and a non-functioning gun, but hey we can all imagine, right?
Old 01-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cleong
I read somewhere that the Germans classified tanks based on gun calibre hence the Pz IV and Panther are medium while the Tiger and King Tiger with their 88s are heavy.
I believe it was based on intended role: Panthers were meant to be the 'standard' tank issued to the Panzer divisions in place of the Panzer III's and IV's, where as the Tigers and King Tigers were intended for the breakthrough (and then later 'fire brigade') mission and issued to separate heavy tank battalions held at the Corps level for specific operations.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:24 AM
Danblee

Pretty sure this was a 1off field conversation based on a bergepanther chassis and was used as a command vehicle only, also turret didn't rotate. Panther F turret on a Panzer IV J chassis was an official Krupp proposal tho'
Pnzjgr (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 04:13 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

The turret rings on the Panther D, A and G were a different size, larger, than on any of the Pzkw 4 hulls, ergo the turrets were not interchangeable without factory level tools and abilities. The 7.5 cm main gun of the Panther was adjudged in combat to be almost as good as the 8.8 cm in the Tiger E in accuracy and penetration. The 7.5 cm in the Pzkw 4 was a very good weapon but lacked the quite high velocity of the Panther 7.5 cm. The turret of the Pzkw 4 was not as heavily armored as any of the Panthers nor did it have the ballistic shape of the Panther versions nor the mantlet shape and protection. The 8.8 cm mounted in the Tiger B had a reputation of ruining your day at a range of roughly 4 Post codes away.
Pnzjgr (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:23 AM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Originally Posted by Danblee
Panther F turret on a Panzer IV J chassis was an official Krupp proposal tho'
Now that would be a cool tank to make! Almost know one would know what it is. It would be so custom. Now the question is, what would this tank be called?
Old 01-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Danblee

Now that would be a cool tank to make! Almost know one would know what it is. It would be so custom. Now the question is, what would this tank be called?
if it had been accepted then ausf K I suppose, the K that was accepted but not put into production is another very cool looking tank. a Panzer IV with sloped front and side armor and a simplified hexagonal turret. I don't play WAT but I'd be surprised if it wasn't available in the garage.
Dragon made a 1/35 plastic kit https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10346906

Last edited by Danblee; 01-19-2021 at 07:45 AM.