Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Karelian Sculptor + Russian Colossus = U-19!

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Karelian Sculptor + Russian Colossus = U-19!

Old 06-16-2021, 10:50 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Construction is now finished so I roughly assembled it with some temprary fixings (no fixing at all in most places) and the next step is a thorough degreasing, a scrub with a wire brush and then off for a few coats of etch primer.

I would love to sandblast it (or walnut shell blast it at least) but I dont know anyone with a blaster and I m not willing to pay for it. Hopefully with some primer on it it wiull start to look less cruffy!

P

The following users liked this post:
herrmill (06-19-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 06:33 AM
lposter

Finally finished this U19 except for a lens for the light and adjustment of the track tension. heartily sick of scabby finishes on my tanks so I decided I would paint this one.

I etch primed it, painted it with a grey car paint and then used powdered graphite and the wifes make up sponge to geta metallic-ish finish. I found a Beier sound card so I think I will actually make this thing mobile at some point.

I have included a plastic Kv-1 and a Stug for size comparison. Very glad to get this off the bench.

P

Old 06-20-2021, 12:23 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

That is really fantastic modelling. Been very interesting to follow along. All the more impressive in steel and brass.

Sure makes a Sturmtiger look kinda wimpy.

Very fine project.
Bob
Old 06-29-2021, 05:30 AM
lposter

Did something rare for me and equipped the U19 with electronics.

I have a Turnigy 9x and only one but a lot of receivers. So I put one in teh tank. Its mounted way back as the antennae is going to have to be outside but not visible. On teh underside of teh tank are two 4mm jack plug charger connectors and a switch that turns everything on. The old switch for teh taigen is now a "binding" switch. I just got an old servo cable, and connect the two wires that normally are shorted for binding to that switch. So I can bind the receiver, charge the battery and turn the whole thing on and off without having to take the top off.

There is a beier card in the plastic box and I have just the basics sorted out - no guns or anything yet. But I will get there.

The ESCs are two 40 amp boat ESCs. I need to put fuses on the motors.

Its not elegant at all but it will do. I have no real experience at all with making tanks move so its a bit of a faff.

But I did take a video (hope it works)! Finally a tank that moves like I want it to - refelcting its 66 tons and straining gearboxes! Surprised to see that the suspension works quite well too!

Apologies for the dog - he wasnt too impressed with it at all!

P
Old 07-01-2021, 05:21 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

No worries about your dog. Thanks for sharing the video!!! You work is fantastic!!!