Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

I believe they're at it again...

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

I believe they're at it again...

Old 02-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Tanque

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I believe they're at it again...

Our bait and switch friends are back at it...?? Or is it real?? who knows!

https://retraluna.com/products/rocho...-scaler-rc-car

Jerry
Old 02-02-2021, 12:44 PM
pitstain

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they have the MB jeep for $49, it is definitely a scam site. how the hell do you even find this kind of stuff?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by pitstain View Post
..... how the hell do you even find this kind of stuff?

Oh I have my ways....

J
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Crius

Received 149 Likes on 131 Posts

You'll probably get a jeep, maybe 1/87 scale, and it will be absolutely NOTHING like what you see in the photos.

MAJOR SCAM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM
pitstain

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque View Post
Oh I have my ways....

J
idle hands are the devil's plaything, or something like that LOL

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
You'll probably get a jeep, maybe 1/87 scale, and it will be absolutely NOTHING like what you see in the photos.

MAJOR SCAM.
Don't be so cynical, even a Matchbox car is 1/64 scale....but otherwise you are correct.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:29 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

You guys laugh at that stuff, but it's how I got into RC tanks.

My kids bought me one of those $79 wonders for Christmas years ago. It ran for about an hour then died. I went online that day and found Heng Long tanks, then ordered one with my Christmas money. A Pantiger no less. Now I have about a dozen RC tanks of various brands, plus a bunch of RC trucks and a RC snowcat. That original cheap RC tank that died in an hour ultimately cost me thousands of dollars.

That's the real danger with those cheap tanks.
The following users liked this post:
Ex_Pat_Tanker (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk View Post
You guys laugh at that stuff, but it's how I got into RC tanks.

My kids bought me one of those $79 wonders for Christmas years ago. It ran for about an hour then died. I went online that day and found Heng Long tanks, then ordered one with my Christmas money. A Pantiger no less. Now I have about a dozen RC tanks of various brands, plus a bunch of RC trucks and a RC snowcat. That original cheap RC tank that died in an hour ultimately cost me thousands of dollars.

That's the real danger with those cheap tanks.

you didn’t see the poor excuse of a toy Crius and I got in our ‘experiment’ a while back!

jerry
Old 02-02-2021, 04:40 PM
RichJohnson

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah me too on the Facebook ads. Never ever buy anything from a Facebook ad. Nearly all of them are bait and switch, The Lego knock off stuff has worked out well though for my kid. They seem like legit ads, but the RC ads are all scams.
it’s shameful Facebook lets them advertise there.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:58 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MAJOR SCAM.
...or a fake Cartier ring. Don't ask how I know.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:05 PM
herrmill

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe I turned that one in. Any I see popup like these gets the same exact treatment from me - report & delete.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:17 AM
Crius

I dug up this old thread because I found a bait and switch that makes our favorite tank scammers look like small potatoes. This guy got scammed for more than 30 grand on an electric car in much the same kind of scam. They showed him a photo of a seriously kick-ass electric super car, but what he received looked like a miniature Smart Car, about as big as a golf cart. And to add insult to injury, the super car had a cool paint scheme of red and black, what he got is painted white and ... pink. In the end he only lost about two grand (only, Ha!) but the similarities to the mystery tank scam are considerable. Like maybe the car guys saw the tank scam and put it on steroids! Anyway, here's one of the videos. The guy would never have had any trouble if he had followed the number one RC Tanker rule for buying online - No Paypal, No Sale!!

Old 05-27-2021, 05:59 AM
Crius

Quick correction about what I said above, the guy lost a lot more than just $2,000. I arrived at that number because he said the car was $31,000 and I happen to know he got $29,000 back, but it wasn't just $31,000 for the car, there was an additional $9,000 in other fees that he did not recover, meaning that his total loss was probably somewhere around $11,000.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:24 AM
Tanque

Quick correction about what I said above, the guy lost a lot more than just $2,000. I arrived at that number because he said the car was $31,000 and I happen to know he got $29,000 back, but it wasn't just $31,000 for the car, there was an additional $9,000 in other fees that he did not recover, meaning that his total loss was probably somewhere around $11,000.
I'm feeling like there are entirely too many scams run out of China. In the long run reputations are one's most valuable asset and most difficult
to recover if you lose or damage it..

Jerry
Old 05-27-2021, 11:01 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This stuff right here is why I run stuff like ghostery and noscript plugins. Just remember guys, if you aren't paying for a service YOU are the product. I've never seen any scammy ads like this, but then again I don't see ads anywhere I don't allow them.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 12:53 PM
herrmill

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hate to say this but the only thing missing with all these "China scams" is called common sense. I see them appear all the time on FB & report them, but this one takes the cake.

Anyone who sends funds for what appears to be make believe, as in this very case, deserves to be had.

Caveat emptor.