Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

First ever R/C kit and need upgrade help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

First ever R/C kit and need upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 04:18 AM
Panzer71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ever R/C kit and need upgrade help

Hi folks,

New to modelling and RC... I purchased a Tamiya 1/16 full option King Tiger over 10 years ago and it has sat untouched in the box since.... My friend pushed me to get it built and I got stuck into it. Purchased lots of paint, accessories, the RC controller, battery pack etc... I haven't purchased an air brush yet as I'm not sure what to get quality and price etc...

I have completed the main lower and was generally happy but after a short time I soon noticed that there are short comings in the tracks, the track adjustment system etc...

Are the orginal Tamiya tracks the same for left and right? It seems that the pin heads for the joints are not going to be facing outwards or am I missing something?

I need help please to get some decent upgrades...

I want to get metal tracks and I think the Mato King Tiger metal tracks are compatible... Can someone confirm.. I have the standard Tamiya metal drive wheels and metal idlers on the model..
I think the tensioner system is rubbish and looked at the upgrades from Schumo.. Not sure again what parts I need in total?
I think KT0014AL, KT0027AL, KT0033 and KT0039..
Have I overlooked anything? Do you guys have anything to recommend extra? Obviously there are a range of higher quality surface fittings but these are perhaps not the most essential for me at my level of experience..

Any help appreciated in respect of upgrades, advice and even airbrush recommendations (don't want to get into too high costs for the airbrush but also not buy rubbish)

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 02-03-2021, 05:18 AM
ronnie42

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Have a look at the Henntec ones. I have a few, the newer one is easier to adjust via the removable covers just like the real tank . Airbrush ? just look on the modelling forums for advice , i bought one thats easy to clean .
Old 02-03-2021, 08:21 AM
Panzer71

Originally Posted by ronnie42
Have a look at the Henntec ones. I have a few, the newer one is easier to adjust via the removable covers just like the real tank . Airbrush ? just look on the modelling forums for advice , i bought one thats easy to clean .
Thanks for that. Now those Henntec ones are less money that the ones from Schumo. They look good quality. The Tamiya ones just seems to be very, very difficult to get correct. At the moment it's so fine between too tight (and the pins pull apart on the plastic tracks) or too slack and they don't bite on the drive wheels for turning.

Certainly an easy to clean airbrush makes sense. I have a lot to learn there..
Old 02-03-2021, 08:55 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Go for the HennTec, they are totally grand, work perfectly and installation is easy.

Concerning the tracks. Take the time to remove the track pins one at a time and insert them from the OUTSIDE, not inside. If on the inside, the first time one walks 3 mm out, and they will, it will snag the rear hull plate and do unkind things to the track and/or the plate.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Panzer71

Thanks. Yes I'm planning to move the pins around. In my ignorance I had installed both tracks with the pin heads outwards not realising it was wrong. I saw they were not looking correct on the wheels so re-thought it ou with the pin heads towards the inside. I wonder why Tamiya had them set up that way?
Old 02-04-2021, 03:23 AM
Panzer71

Default Pins changed around still need track advice

Hi again folks,

Well after an hour of changing the track pins around (track pin fingers is that a medical complaint?) my KT is going better. Why did Tamiya never supply them this way?

Anyway I'm still needing advice on upgrade tracks as I see this plastic tracks giving grief over time.... I have read that Mato metal tracks will work with Tamiya... Can anyone confirm this and/or recommend alternatives?

Thanks