Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Tiger 1 (3818) and HL Ultimate II Gearbox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Tiger 1 (3818) and HL Ultimate II Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 PM
RLJohns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Tiger 1 (3818) and HL Ultimate II Gearbox

I recently got a HL Tiger 1 3818 (standard version) and a HL Ultimate II gearbox. I didn't get the tank with the metal gearbox because it was inexpensive and I wanted to learn how to work on things so I figured I would upgrade the gearbox separately even though I could have saved money buying it with a metal gearbox already installed. All the YouTube videos I watched made the swap seem easy so I figured why not. The new (Ultimate II) gear box does not seem to line up with the stock mounting holes in the plastic chassis (w/o torsion bars). The sides of the U2 gearbox are about twice as thick as the stock ones, this seems to prevent the U2 gearbox from sitting flush and allowing the holes to align. Anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you correct it (elongate the screw holes in the U2 gearbox, mill out part of the side of the U2 gearbox)? Quarters are very tight so it is difficult to take and post an accurate photo but it seems the U2 gearbox hits on the outboard sides (of the gearbox) along where the torsion bars would be. The box the U2 gearbox came in says it is for the 3818 (8mm 49cm M+L).

Thank you for your help, these HL tanks are addicting, I have recently bought three.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:20 PM
RLJohns

Will the Mato Metal Lower Chassis work better than the stock HL one?
Old 02-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The Mato tiger is an exact copy of what you already have, it's just made out of metal. I wouldn't own one of those if you paid me. You're much better off to get the taigen/ Torro lower with the torsion bar suspension. The HL upper can be easily adapted to fit. All it really takes is attaching a couple of hooks in the back and a tab at the front.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:28 PM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Exactly what I did. Perfect combo!
Old 02-05-2021, 02:59 PM
RLJohns

Any recommended vendors in the US? I could not find it available on Amazon, did find one on e-bay.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:57 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Send a message to Imex-Erik at Taigen tanks and I'm sure he can hook you up.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:51 AM
RLJohns

Awesome, thank you very much. I had to put the screws in at an angle to get the gearbox into the stock HL chassis. I am usually "mechanically inclined" having worked on/built RC cars and "real" cars over the years but getting the U2 gearboxes into the stock chassis......

I forgot to mark the motors, which one is M1 and which is M2 (left/drivers side in the US or right/passenger side)? thank you.