Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New tanker, looking for advice

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New tanker, looking for advice

Old 02-12-2021, 02:25 PM
jbarnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tanker, looking for advice

Hey guys, I've been building RC balsa planes for years. Thought I'd build a tank for a change. I've got this 1/6 metal Sherman I'm looking to get. Trying to assemble some parts and pieces while they finish building the kit. I'm not a real detailed scale fanatic. Digging around the internet I don't see much for accessories for these tanks here in the USA. I'm guessing there are some but I just haven't found them. I'm going to be using some metal etching primer on the metal but was looking for a reasonable close to scale color in rattle can as the finish. Is the standard Olive Drab in flat finish a good match? I'm also looking for some pilot busts (thats what we call them in the airplane world). Is there a supplier of busts (preferable already painted) that I can put in the hatch openings? Full body is probably a waste as I'm sure they would need to get cut down to fit inside the tank. Anyone anodized the aluminum tracks to get a dark grey color instead of painting them? Seems like the painting on the tracks would be a waste as it would just tend to wear off.
Just tell me everything I don't know to get me started! Thanks, Jerry.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:42 PM
RC_BobM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Hello jbarnes,
I grew up in Colorado. Miss those sunny days and good skiing.

Which 1/6 Sherman did you get (or have)? There aren't many metal kits.

Some folks scratch build their own accessories (myself included) - but you can make your own or 3D print them. Thingyverse has a few things like gas cans etc.

I like Modelmasters(Testors) 1911 Olive drab, but MM stopped making paint - so its getting harder to find. Humbrol makes a nice Olive drab, you could try the Home Deport Rustoleum OD green if you don't care too much about matching colors. It be would inexpensive.

A lot of folks cut down cheap figures for drivers etc. If you have the head you can make the body from just about anything.

Welcome to the forum...
Bob
Old 02-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Crius

Received 212 Likes on 180 Posts

Welcome to the Dark Side of RC. Haven't heard of anyone trying to anodize tracks, gun bluing seems to be the most popular method. Not sure how it works on aluminum. What kind of kit are we talking about? For figures in 1/6 the dragon are very popular, and there's always old faithful GI Joe. All the accessories from 12 inch action figures work, so happy hunting. There are oodles of choices. Here's a shot of my 1/6 Hetzer with a Dragon TC. Oh yeah, it shoots .50 caliber paintballs. Man, I love saying that.

I started in 1/16 (8 years ago, maybe), but I'm getting more into 1/6 . Just picked up an M5 Stuart, I've got the ROC jeep and endless dragon kubel and schwimmwagen kits in 1/6. Even a 540 Mercedes. I doubt I'll live long enough to build them all.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:46 PM
Crius

Oh yeah, I'm with Bob on the Model Master, and Tamiya TS-28 ain't bad, either. The rustoleum camo stuff has a good green, you can see that in my videos on the tank hauler project.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:52 PM
jbarnes

Apologize for not including the manufacturer. Its a company called Armortek. They are in the process of manufacturing a Sherman tank. It'll be several months before they have final details worked out and start making the kits. I didn't want a plastic tank and prefer those that are larger so they don't get lost in all the clutter! Retiring this year so I'll have some extra time. I hit alot of the airplane events and thought I could just put the tank in the trailer with all the planes.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:56 PM
jbarnes

Are these Dragon figures available via some store or are they a ebay like item, no longer made?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:05 PM
RC_BobM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

jbarnes
Armortek - yeah I've heard of them. LOL. I have 3 of their tanks (Panther A, Tiger 1, and early Sherman) and their PAK40. I've had and sold 2 other tanks (Panther G, Panzer 4) and an US M3 halftrack. Fun stuff - like crack cocaine for tank lovers. Recommend you join Armortek forum if you haven't already. Great bunch of folks all over the world. Good support and great builds.

1/6 Armorteks are fun - but they are big and heavy. Were talking 80- 150lbs. The Sherman is not a huge tank, but at 1/6 scale its 3ft long, the Panther +4 ft long. Get a cheap hydraulic lift and a motorcycle scissor lift - you'll need em to load into vehicles or to work on them (and save your back).

I may get the new AT M4A3E8 due out this spring myself. That's always been my favorite Sherman variant. PS I'll be making accessories for that one as well as all of the above. The AT forum has a great "craftsman's market" section.

There's a lot of good stuff on this forum too. A smattering of 1/6 builders and enthusiasts, but mostly 1/16 scale - which I love too! My first "big RC tank" was a Tamiya Tiger 1.

As for the tracks, don't bother with anodize or blackening. I just paint them. Model Masters "Gun-metal" is perfect base coat color over primer, then weather with rust and dirt color washes. Done. Its a bit of work, but they look awesome. Some of Armortek links are cast aluminum and will come already blackened. You can paint them, or just weather them naturally (with mud).

Cheers.
Bob

Last edited by RC_BobM; 02-12-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 PM
jbarnes

Thankyou all for your comments.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:28 AM
Crius

Sounds like you're talking about the armortek E8. You lucky dog. I'd give my eyeteeth to have one of those. I'll really be looking forward to photos of your progress. My dream is an armortek P3, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford one.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:09 PM
jbarnes

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
Sounds like you're talking about the armortek E8. You lucky dog. I'd give my eyeteeth to have one of those. I'll really be looking forward to photos of your progress. My dream is an armortek P3, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford one.
They are kind of pricey but when you look at the manufacturing process they use you can see why they are so expensive. Plus they are very durable. Iím retiring this year so Iím spending a little extra cash.