Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya DMD Connectors?

Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Durahl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya DMD Connectors?

Greetings!

Does anyone know what Type of Connectors ( Brand and Model/Type ) Tamiya uses to establish a connection between their DMDs and the smaller geared Motors, Sensors, Lightbars, etc... - And ideally also have a source of where to buy them ( including their Crimps ) from?

Here's an Image of what I'm talking about:
Click image for larger version

Name:	M4iorfG.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2269413
I got my hands on a Slipring with 4x 10A ( Motors ) and 12x 2A ( Speaker / LIghts ) leads attached to it and thus suitable for installation into my Leopard 2A7+ but I'd rather not be taking my chances with cutting apart the original wires so I'm obviously in need for additional connectors that fit into the DMD =)

T(h)anks in advance =)
Old 02-23-2021, 06:38 AM
Crius

Received 82 Likes on 74 Posts

Most manufacturers use the jst plug, but I'm pretty sure Tamiya uses Molex connectors. Not sure what size.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:08 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are Molex "Micro-Latch" connectors.

Crimper...available in the US from Digii-Key here...

Assorted plugs and terminals(2, 3, 4 and 6 wire plugs).. from Digi-Key again...here.

The following users liked this post:
Durahl (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:34 PM
Durahl

Sweeet! Thanks a lot! 😀

Edit: Hory ****in' sheed that Crimpers $360.- price tag 😮 And obviously that connector set also had to be lacking the 5P connector I'd be needing for my Slipring Quest 😐

Last edited by Durahl; 02-24-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:57 AM
heavyaslead

Would you mind sharing the slipring model / manufacturer you found?
Old 02-24-2021, 07:07 AM
Durahl

DKLMRC sells them but the one I bought is not the one listed in his shop where all wires are the same AWG so you have to contact him about it and ask for the one with two different AWG diameters.
The Slip Ring is also kinda bulky so be aware that installation in a Leopard 2A6 will require some modifications of the Speaker Box to make it fit - Being a little bit of a neat freak I'll most likely have my CNC give the inside a clean shave and 3D Print a suitable adapter to combine the two which is why I haven't yet installed it myself ( also the lack of connectors so far has kinda been a hindrance but I was now able to order them so I got that going for me ;D )

Last edited by Durahl; 02-24-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:00 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

New MF units usually ship with a blank plug that fills the 5 pin battle unit socket. Why can't you just buy some of the terminals, solder them on (no crimper needed), install the surplus plug, and get what you needed? Maybe someone has a plug they'd sell for a nominal fee.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:07 AM
Durahl

In the case of my #56020 Leopard 2A7+ ( had some upgrades... ) I'd also be needing 2x 4P connectors ( front lights ) besides the 2x 5P ( rear lights ) ones but I'm generally in need of replacing some connectors on my now retirement age #56018 King Tiger who's wires and crimps have started to come loose from years of service including the one of the Xenon Light Flasher ( which also found that connector at Digi-Key so I ordered a bunch of those as well - Heh... Even came across the Tamiya battery ones flagged as deprecated ).