Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My Tamiya #56016 M26 Pershing Build

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My Tamiya #56016 M26 Pershing Build

Old 02-28-2021, 01:26 AM
Durahl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking My Tamiya #56016 M26 Pershing Build

I just finished my Tamiya #56016 M26 Pershing build.

Like with some of my other builds / rebuilds I managed to capture some of the more interesting moments and collected them together in an Imgur Diary as I went along with the build.
Click image for larger version

Name:	b4dJX0u.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	2269489
Click image for larger version

Name:	eTLfji6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	918.4 KB
ID:	2269490
Cheers!
Old 02-28-2021, 03:38 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice build sir. Many older solutions to the compactness of the interior off this vehicle have been major surgery to the innards. Are any of those 3D files readily available?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:33 AM
heritage19

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job, I'm sorry I sold mine a few months back.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:24 AM
Durahl

Originally Posted by edoubleaz View Post
Nice build sir. Many older solutions to the compactness of the interior off this vehicle have been major surgery to the innards. Are any of those 3D files readily available?
Haven't really given it a thought to upload the files to somewhere since they're not exactly complex to reproduce either.
Kinda curious though, how would people solve this issue the classic way - Other than just accepting their fate and not turning their turrets ( makes me sad )
Originally Posted by heritage19 View Post
Nice job, I'm sorry I sold mine a few months back.
Any particular reason?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28 AM
dmos85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work
Old 03-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Fsttanks

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Turning the turret is no issue for myself and those I know with Pershing when running the tank. Small zip ties and heat shrink tubing keeps everything in nice neat wire bundles so nothing gets caught or snagged.

Now turning the turret to access the battery for charging is a hole other issue. Fortunately in my case I use a larger 8.4v 5000mah NiMh battery so I can leave it in the tank with a high level of assurance that it will have no issues while not in use. I have never not had enough power even after periods of long storage to turn the tank on and turn the turret to the removal position and gain access to the battery.

If by chance the battery was totally dead then it’s back to the manual hand turning method which frankly does S**K.

To make things fit a little better myself and others have omitted the “mechanism deck” (MU2). It’s kind of a redundant part.

The M26 is a pretty good tank Tamiya design issues aside. You will find when you start driving yours that it is a fun tank that has few if any real running vices in overall handling and performance.

Here are a few photos of my Tamiya M26 Pershing.

Tamiya M26 Pershing with T84 track.

Tamiya M26 Pershing on lower corner of photo during recent IR battle day.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 03-01-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:28 PM
CodeWarrior

You did an amazing job on all aspects of the build: Painting/weathering is top notch as is the 3D printing and attention to detail. Well done. I would be curious to find out where you got the aluminum road wheels- I didn't see them at ETO nor did an internet search yield any leads. I have a NIB Pershing yet to be built and I would also appreciate getting the 'files and a source on the road wheels. As to solving the turret-turning-problem: I can't say as I have yet to build the kit.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:28 PM
tankme

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I know King Kong R/C makes some metal road wheels for the Pershing, but some have had issues with parts from them especially for the Leo 2A6. Mostly quality control issues so buyer beware: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-M26-P...QAAOSw4aZbB8IO
Old 03-02-2021, 04:55 AM
CodeWarrior

Thanks for the lead and the caution. I'll have to (carefully) consider them. I see that Durahl experienced some serious fit issues. Strange that KKRC has 100% positive feedback, with over 1700 reviews, when they're known to produce a product with flaws.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Fsttanks

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeWarrior View Post
Thanks for the lead and the caution. I'll have to (carefully) consider them. I see that Durahl experienced some serious fit issues. Strange that KKRC has 100% positive feedback, with over 1700 reviews, when they're known to produce a product with flaws.
If you haven’t thought about it you can substitute the stock brass wheel bushing for bearings. The bearings make a huge difference in wheel to axle fit and make for a very smooth rolling tank. The bearings size for the Pershing is 5x8x2.5 mm

I have used Semi-Joe’s for bearing and they are reasonably priced with super fast shipping.

5x8x2.5mm rubber sealed bearing for Tamiya M26 Pershing.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:49 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Pershing is an amazing battler and I have three in the stable but early on the tank can be a struggle to maintain traverse with the factory setup including Tamiya connectors, the Y junction, a full size NiMh battery and larger Futaba receivers.. The first surgery is to glue or replace the slip gear in the traverse. Many I know have hacked the speaker box to make room and I have use heat shrink and zipties my self with good results in conjunction with a smaller battery. Cable management is the key and I confess I cut down my DMD/MFU wires to make
Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 AM
CodeWarrior

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
If you haven’t thought about it you can substitute the stock brass wheel bushing for bearings. The bearings make a huge difference in wheel to axle fit and make for a very smooth rolling tank. The bearings size for the Pershing is 5x8x2.5 mm

I have used Semi-Joe’s for bearing and they are reasonably priced with super fast shipping.
Substituting bearings for the stock wheel bushings is good advice- I do it on all my builds. Not that I've done nearly as builds as most of those who post on this forum. Seems like there's always an interest in seeing build progress. I'll start posting my Tamiya Sherman build once I restart it. Next up after that would be the Pershing.

Never used "Semi Joe's" bearings before- I'll have to try 'em out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:56 AM
Durahl

Ah sorry the lack of a response... Somehow, I'm not getting notified about replies despite being subscribed to my own thread 😑 ( also nothing in the Junk eMail folder... )

Yes... The Wheels are from KingKong-RC on eBay and yea they're not exactly what I'd describe a perfect fit... The axles to be used with the new wheels are oversized in every area that mates with the Tamiya Suspension Arms causing axle 1, 2, 5 & 6 to be more of an interference fit so you have to pull them in from the back using a sacrificial screw - just don't try to press fit them in from the front like I did with my initial purchase as the tiny tip of the axle will bend out of shape well before you'll be able to get it seated into the Suspension Arm pockets and unlike the entirely machined rims for my Leopard 2A7+ ( which I had absolutely no issues with ), the ones for the M26 Pershing have what appears to be a cast hub causing the rims to be ever so slightly misaligned and thus rubbing on some of the Suspension Dampeners when they turn - Especially the last axle.

At the end of the day, I got it to work out somehow but considering my excellent experience with the for the Leopard 2A6 designed ones I sure as Hell feel a little undecided about recommending the M26 Pershing ones.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:24 AM
cleong

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the thread because it triggered me to relook the internals of my own Pershing to improve the cable situation, resulting in the removal of one of the inner shelves to create more space - and now the tank works much better.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:55 AM
RichJohnson

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Another thing that can be done for easy transmission maintenance is the cut the shelf off that the trannys bolt to, from the rest of the inner floor deck.
I did this in my M47 conversion of a Pershing chassis. It makes maintenance much easier, also replacing that massive speaker with a commercial one or even a new taigen or henglong at half volume is plenty to hear the tank 10 feet away.