Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

clam shell opening

Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 PM
markust74

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clam shell opening

I’ve searched for the thread by Daryl turner for the clam shell opening for Taigen tanks and come up with nada. Does anyone have the link?
it may not help that I’m searching on my phone but this would be a great add?
any help/links appreciated!!
mark
The following users liked this post:
Pcomm1.v2 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 10:25 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Where is Mr Turner?

The Taigen solution and the Daryl Turner solution for the lift deck hull opening are not related. Daryl Turner generally does not post at RCU or use RC tank forums, so no surprise you cannot find him here. For many years Turner’s custom one off hull opening designs were unique to his bespoke engineered RC tank builds. Taigen, recently and independently, engineered their own similar solution, according to both parties, and I read that info here on RCU...search Taigen and or IMAX instead.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-10-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 AM
sclui

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some pix of the model WSN T34/85 Full Conversion Help
Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
The Taigen solution and the Daryl Turner solution for the lift deck hull opening are not related. Daryl Turner generally does not post at RCU or use RC tank forums, so no surprise you cannot find him here. For many years Turner’s custom one off hull opening designs were unique to his bespoke engineered RC tank builds. Taigen, recently and independently, engineered their own similar solution, according to both parties, snd I read that info here on RCU...search Taigen and or IMAX instead.
It was posted here, just not by Daryl himself. I saw the idea and told both the poster and Daryl when I seen him at Danville that we were gonna try that. It has got pretty good reviews of the system and our team likes them here as they are easier to check and repair if needed. I like to credit those with great ideas in the community if possible and that was a great one. I wish we could use it on all the tanks but some designs are difficult to produce like that.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:44 AM
Pcomm1.v2

FYI, my “non-lift deck” Taigen Jagdtiger is a really cool RTR model. During the last decade Daryl Turner accepted several “commissioned RC tank lift deck custom projects” from me. They included a Tamiya JS2, KV1, Jagdpanzer Lang, Leopard 2, Leopard 1 and a Flakpanzer. Below are photos from the Leo 1 and 2 and Flakpanzer. These 3 are the most complex of our series of Turner custom builds. They improved upon Tamiya engineering and perform brilliantly. The Tamiya static kit to full option custom conversion builds are engineering and design gems. The Tamiya Leo 2 lift deck build placed the battery in the hull, but to do that Daryl Turner created a engineering model marvel! You can see the builds in greater detail on Facebook, visit: Tamiya 1/16 RC IR Tank Kit Builds

Be safe, John

Tamiya Jagdpanzer Lang and Taigen Jagdtiger.

Tamiya Leopard 2A6 lift deck Turner conversion.

Tamiya Leo 2.

Tamiya Flakpanzer static kit converted to RC full option custom one off conversion.

Tamiya Leo 1 static kit converted to a lift deck, full option RC custom conversion.

Tamiya Leo 1 static to full option RC custom hull conversion.

Tamiya Leopard 1A4 static kit to full option RC custom conversion.

Tamiya Jagdpanther using all the Daryl Turner up grade parts.

Tamiya Jagdpanzer Number 1 trunnion improvement kit. Sent my build in progress off to Daryl for a new metal trunnion to replace the poorly functioning plastic parts.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-10-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Imex-Erik

You know, I believe it was YOUR pictures I saw now that you posted those
I remember that Flakpanzer 100%
Old 03-10-2021, 02:11 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
You know, I believe it was YOUR pictures I saw now that you posted those
I remember that Flakpanzer 100%
It is all Daryl’s model engineering, design, fabrication brilliance in those photos and the whole series was a lot of fun to assemble over the years.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
It is all Daryl’s model engineering, design, fabrication brilliance in those photos and the whole series was a lot of fun to assemble over the years.
I'm a sucker for proper engineering. Best way to get my attention is posting something like that.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:54 PM
markust74

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Erik Taigen Panzer IV

Erik do you have/sell a kit or parts to convert the Taigen Panzer IV?

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
It was posted here, just not by Daryl himself. I saw the idea and told both the poster and Daryl when I seen him at Danville that we were gonna try that. It has got pretty good reviews of the system and our team likes them here as they are easier to check and repair if needed. I like to credit those with great ideas in the community if possible and that was a great one. I wish we could use it on all the tanks but some designs are difficult to produce like that.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:45 AM
Imex-Erik

No, it was done only on the JS-2. The rear of the tank made it a perfect candidate. The T-34/85 would of been a great one too actually. I was kinda worried about how people would take the hinge considering how much hate you can get for a bit of inaccuracy but I think the convenience factor was much higher on that model. I'm personally a fan of that type of opening, it is easy to work on and wiring is cleaner.

edit: rear of tank, not hatch