Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Haya Chieftain Road Wheels

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Haya Chieftain Road Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 02:05 AM
CaptB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haya Chieftain Road Wheels

Hi Guys,

Just got my Haya Chieftain - plastic version. What a lovely model. Great detail and features. Problem is I hate the road wheels - plastic and unpainted.

Can't live with this so I want to take the wheels off and paint the tyres. So does anyone know how to remove the roadwheels?. If I pull off the caps on the wheels, is their a screw I can undo to remove the wheels?
Don't want to force anything if I can help it.

Many thanks in advance

CaptB

Old 04-12-2021, 03:21 AM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi
Yes the hubcaps can be pried off, there is a Phillips screw underneath.
However you don't have to remove the wheels to paint them, just remove the upper hull, screws under the rear fuel caps.

Mal
Old 04-12-2021, 06:51 AM
CaptB

Thumbs up

Great - thanks for that. I usually like to remove the wheels as painting them on a chassis is awkward, but you seem to have made a good job of it so I may give it a go.

Thanks again

Cheers Thumbs up

CeptB
Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM
afv aficionado

Cool
Are you planning on doing much to your Chieftain?
There is scope to do quite a bit if you want to. I've just been fixing the left rear turret stowage basket for instance, it's a bit on the small side. Still need o complete the write up before posting.
The reason I had to increase the size, is so I could fit the plate in the 2nd pic - you see that in quite a few Chieftain pics, but the standard basket is too small to fit it.

Mal

Old 04-13-2021, 06:56 AM
CaptB

I probably wont as just like the tank as stock. I'm gonna fit a HL 6.0s MFU into it with a Taigen Barrel Recoil board. This will give me the equivalent of a HL 6.1 MFU.
Not too bothered about absolute accuracy on the sounds. I will paint the tracks with a bit of dark earth spray and of course, the tyres on the wheels. After this, we'll see.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 04-13-2021, 10:51 AM
afv aficionado

Hi CapB
Cool. With my tracks, I painted them with Humbrol 27004 Gun Metal, with What-A-Job liquid polymer applied to the track pads. Provides a durable tough black finish as well as more grip.

Also cut up 3mm neoprene rubber into blocks to press fit into the holes in the back of the tracks. Looks better than hollow tracks.

Mal
Old 04-14-2021, 12:59 AM
CaptB

Looks great - might follow you on the tracks.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 04-15-2021, 09:47 AM
king_tubby

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Cool
Are you planning on doing much to your Chieftain?
There is scope to do quite a bit if you want to. I've just been fixing the left rear turret stowage basket for instance, it's a bit on the small side. Still need o complete the write up before posting.
The reason I had to increase the size, is so I could fit the plate in the 2nd pic - you see that in quite a few Chieftain pics, but the standard basket is too small to fit it.

Mal

The stock bin is fine for anything up to a Mk 5, the extended basket was created so the crew could store a crate of 10 innert APDS projectiles externally.

Last edited by king_tubby; 04-15-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:55 AM
afv aficionado

Hi King Tubby
Cool, I knew they stored the inert APDS rounds in that basket, but didn't know that was why it was enlarged.
Thanks for that.
I'm trying to figure out which shape of Pressure relief valve cover to install behind the TC's cupola - there appear to be 3 options - none as only early marks, a rectangular version - often seen on the Iranian vehicles & a rectangular plus version with a odd angle added.

Mal

Old 04-15-2021, 11:17 PM
king_tubby

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Mal,

I don't have any specific information on that feature, have you tried the modern discussion group over on missing-lynx, or their constructive comments group? My best guess would be that the rectangular version was seen on new build Mk5P's, and the extended version was added to all Marks of UK vehicles at some point during the Totem Pole upgrades.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 AM
afv aficionado

Hi King Tubby
I've been posting queries on Armorama, got a few more replies tonight. Got some stuff to build.

Mal