Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamyia M51 Super Sherman the right way, with a cast hull

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamyia M51 Super Sherman the right way, with a cast hull

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 08:17 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Looking good. Rich, I will give you props for being able to find the tools you need to build your tanks on that table. lol When my table starts to get too cluttered, my cleaning instincts kick in and I can't do anymore work until I have a tidy workspace.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:47 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I spent a couple hour working on the 3 piece differential fit. I know how to get where Im going with it now.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:21 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Rich, I may have asked before? Where did you get the cast upper hull? I have parts on the way from Shapways to start this beast, but need the cast hull.
Best regards, Rudy
Old 01-18-2022, 07:44 PM
RichJohnson

Those come from Nick Aguilar. This cast hull as you may have noticed from the first pics, is set up for the traverse ring of the howtizer sherman.
So you have 3 options using a Nick hull. (also that grey one that looks like this on ebay from Russia with love... was ripped off from Nick)
Option 1, move the roller posts in the hull and gear box mount to fit the larger ring gear of the super sherman turret.
Option 2, mount the howtizer sherman ring gear on the m51 turret and use the mounts inside Nicks cast A1 hull as on the original sherman set up.
Option 3, do what I did, cut out the entire tamiya rotation system and use henglong which is an insane amount of work, especially doing two at once. But super reliable.

Option 4, find a mato M4a1 hull or tank. They are now getting stupid expensive but they are nice, and use the HL rotation system. If you review my started topics through my profile, you will find my M4a1 build of a mongrel where I used this hull and my Chile M50-60 build where I used this hull for an Ex IDF M50 converted to Chile M50/60 HVMS. I bought two a couple years ago when I saw them and wished I had bought more.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (01-18-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 06:56 AM
RichJohnson

Fianlly, I have the 3 piece differential fitted the way I want that looks right and screwed on.
Now need a hand full of short 00-90 bolts to add for detail. But its about there.

bowlman (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 05:04 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Those come from Nick Aguilar. This cast hull as you may have noticed from the first pics, is set up for the traverse ring of the howtizer sherman.
So you have 3 options using a Nick hull. (also that grey one that looks like this on ebay from Russia with love... was ripped off from Nick)
Option 1, move the roller posts in the hull and gear box mount to fit the larger ring gear of the super sherman turret.
Option 2, mount the howtizer sherman ring gear on the m51 turret and use the mounts inside Nicks cast A1 hull as on the original sherman set up.
Option 3, do what I did, cut out the entire tamiya rotation system and use henglong which is an insane amount of work, especially doing two at once. But super reliable.

Option 4, find a mato M4a1 hull or tank. They are now getting stupid expensive but they are nice, and use the HL rotation system. If you review my started topics through my profile, you will find my M4a1 build of a mongrel where I used this hull and my Chile M50-60 build where I used this hull for an Ex IDF M50 converted to Chile M50/60 HVMS. I bought two a couple years ago when I saw them and wished I had bought more.
Rich,
Thanks for confirming. I actually have a Mato Sherman I was considering using it as well. I like the idea of cutting the Tamiya
traverse out and adding it to the Mato hull.
Best regards, Rudy
Old 03-30-2022, 08:10 PM
RichJohnson

I figured it was time I updated this thread with all the progress I have made on the dual tool box M51 model. Its getting close to done.

The following 2 users liked this post by RichJohnson:
bowlman (03-31-2022), tankme (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 01:48 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That's looking really excellent, Rich. Your attention to detail has always been one of your major strong points and you've outdone yourself on this one. It really looks great. One of these days I'm going to send this Tamiya Sherman down there and let you turn it into an easy 8 for me. And since I just started a new job where I'm making more money and actually getting overtime that day might come sooner than we think. What's your model workload looking like these days?
RichJohnson (04-01-2022)