Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya gearbox probs (type 10, leo, m1a2)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya gearbox probs (type 10, leo, m1a2)

Old 05-14-2021, 06:18 AM
Shagnifico

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tamiya gearbox probs (type 10, leo, m1a2)

So finally got it built (type 10), gear box drive motor works, steering gears won't turn. Both motors working fine outside of the gearbox but when I install the motors into the gearbox the turning motor will start to strip the gear that meets up with it. Anybody experience anything like this? I have it built exactly as directed as far as I can tell. Is there another page of corrections I'm missing?

Old 05-14-2021, 06:49 AM
pitstain

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have built all 3 of the Type 10, M1A2, and Leopard 2 and I can tell you even after building two they are still tricky, it is very likely that you got something wrong or one of the metal pins fell out of place when you were loading the gearsets into the case, other than some durability of the final drive differential cases there are no known issues with these transmissions I am aware of.

I am always humbled when i assemble one of these and do a manual test without motors only to find I fat fingered something and have to pull it back apart to see a silly little metal pin fell out and then reassemble and everything then works fine.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:55 AM
Fsttanks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagnifico View Post
So finally got it built (type 10), gear box drive motor works, steering gears won't turn. Both motors working fine outside of the gearbox but when I install the motors into the gearbox the turning motor will start to strip the gear that meets up with it. Anybody experience anything like this? I have it built exactly as directed as far as I can tell. Is there another page of corrections I'm missing?
Do yourself a huge favor and not proceed until you can get a set of the DKLM metal upgrade gears. This will save you more headaches down the road. If you wish to proceed here are a few basic questions to start off with.

1. Can you spin the “turn side” of the gearbox by hand at least several rotation? If you feel any binding you most likely built it wrong which is super easy to do and rather common. There are a few gears that are almost identical and will fit where they should not. 2. Have you swapped the motors (and pinions) around to see if you have a bad “turning” motor? Just because it will run while not under load does not mean it will run under load.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-14-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:25 PM
heavyaslead

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The pic looks good, (not the photography but the install)

Seems it what is not seen that is the issue

As mentioned before a pin partially out

Or check the planetary gears that one of them is not binding or mispositioned

Lastly check the cover for possible warpage, one set I had had slight warpage and I had to use slightly (read about .5mm) larger bolts to tighten the assembly together and remove the warpage
Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM
heavyaslead

This step in the assembly process is well worth spending extra time on
Old 05-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Shagnifico

Got it sorted. One of the gears was the wrong gear, replaced it with the proper, very similar looking gear. The build was complicated by the fact that I had many extra gears. I had to order another gear bag early on because the first bag only had one of those hex nut gears. BTW this build was a major PITA, mainly because of missing parts. And my photography is perfectly adequate!

Old 05-14-2021, 05:11 PM
Fsttanks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Got it sorted. One of the gears was the wrong gear, replaced it with the proper, very similar looking gear. The build was complicated by the fact that I had many extra gears. I had to order another gear bag early on because the first bag only had one of those hex nut gears. BTW this build was a major PITA, mainly because of missing parts. And my photography is perfectly adequate!
Good to hear you found the gear that was the problem. Don’t forget to post some finished photos of your Type 10.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:42 AM
Crius

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

I couldn't find anything wrong with the photography, but all those plastic gears scare the crap out of me. As much as I hate to agree with Fsttanks the first order of business should be a gearbox upgrade. DKLM has a good reputation and I've only had good experiences with them, but if you can afford it you might want to look at the ETO offering. Those are top of the line and I have yet to hear a report of one of them failing. Just like tools, if you buy the best the first time you won't ever have to buy it again.

Have you started a build thread on this tank? I'd be interested to see how it comes out for you.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:57 AM
Crius

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

After another look, the photography looks better than just adequate to me, it's pretty good. Did you take that with a phone or a real camera? The quality of today's phones is pretty amazing, and a lot of times I can't tell what I took with my samsung phone from what I took with the Canon rebel T5, which cost me a whole lot more than the phone did! But for video I much prefer my Canon Vixia camcorder because it's much easier to use than a phone camcorder and that usually leads to better results. And, the zoom on the Vixia is first rate. This was my first video when I got it, and the first ten seconds or so really shows off the zoom. It can get in nice and tight and still stay well focused.

Photography is just one more road I didn't expect to go down, but the tanks have led me down a few interesting roads I didn't expect to find myself on, probably the best of which is the whole 3D printing thing.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:37 AM
sevoblast

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
I couldn't find anything wrong with the photography, but all those plastic gears scare the crap out of me. As much as I hate to agree with Fsttanks the first order of business should be a gearbox upgrade. DKLM has a good reputation and I've only had good experiences with them, but if you can afford it you might want to look at the ETO offering. Those are top of the line and I have yet to hear a report of one of them failing. Just like tools, if you buy the best the first time you won't ever have to buy it again.
My transmissions will not work with the Tamiya new transmission. However, a simple duel ESC added to the stock electronics and It will work. I have one customer who did that some time ago and I'll try to contact him to find the exact ESC he used and how he wired it in. My transmissions will work with any 'dual transmission' tank out there, and I'll qualify that statement with 'if there is room inside'.T34 might be a squeeze, but anything bigger should be no problem.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:47 AM
heavyaslead

And my photography is perfectly adequate!
Oh the photography was great, was just clarifying the technical aspects
Old 06-10-2021, 06:47 AM
Shagnifico

Nice Crius!

Here it is now.

The following users liked this post:
bowlman (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:38 AM
MAUS45

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice build!!! Glad to see you got the gears sorted out!!!