Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Upgrading an Old Panther to V3 electronics

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Upgrading an Old Panther to V3 electronics

Old 05-20-2021, 12:16 PM
Crius

Received 167 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Upgrading an Old Panther to V3 electronics

I still don't have decent editing software so I'm just going to post these four videos in order. They're all fairly short, 3 or 4 minutes, and if anyone has been thinking about using the V3 package from Taigen you might find useful info. Then again, you might not. Buyer Beware. Bwahahaha

Keep in mind this is intended for airsoft tanks, IR battle tanks need better kit, but for an airsoft tank that spends most of it's time running around the yard irritating the squirrels I think it's just dandy. While it's not quite up to the 6.0+ from HL, it's still much better than V1, with excellent sounds and features not available on V1 units. I've already done this in my Tauchpanzer, my Pershing, and soon to my HL Tiger One, which I swapped to V1 from the old 27 mhz stuff.

I forgot to mention in the video that I do have the Panther sound card for this so I won't use the P3 card that came with it.

I also have other goodies for this tank, like PE screens for all the intakes and decent cables. Just have to get to it.

Last edited by Crius; 05-20-2021 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jarndice (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:17 PM
Crius

I got a pretty good deal on this tank, and I'm thinking about swapping the metal suspension and roadwheels to the Panther G.

Click image for larger version

Name:	l8XAJJd.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2270383

And I got a couple parts for it, a resin MG42 and PE screens

Name:	R7qmV7e.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	2270384

And after all this time I finally stripped the bad numbers, now to repaint that part.

Name:	JG9t66v.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2270385
Old 05-21-2021, 12:51 PM
jarndice

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

As an easy and CHEAP upgrade with very little work needed to the wiring to early Heng Long Tanks and early V1 equipped Taigen armour the Taigen V3 is my first choice especially with the wide choice of sound cards available,
The Heng Long version 6.0 board has the edge over the V3 but it is not as easy a conversion and it does not have the ability to use an aftermarket Radio.
I am fully aware of the IBU,Clark and Elmod boards which are miles ahead of the in house boards but they do cost money and if you believe people who tell you they are "Plug & Play" you have my permission to call them ******* liars.
So a solid thumbs up to Crius for this thread..
Old 05-21-2021, 03:26 PM
MAUS45

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Great video Gary!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:29 AM
Bluemax57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a free Henglong Panther G New version, but with out radio controller

Hi all, newbie here to rc tanks. So I got this new in the box Henglong Panther, but without controller and charger. Am having a hard figuring out what controller I should get and what's compatible. Any help would be great
Old 06-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Crius

First thing you have to do is figure out what Electronics you have, which will probably mean opening the tank. Did it come with a manual? Does it say 6.0, or 6.1 anywhere? You can get a new transmitter on eBay, and there are tons of places that have Chargers. I recommend you get the best battery charger you can afford. Preferably one that will also charge lithium batteries, like lipos and lithium-ion.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:57 PM
Bluemax57

Default Henglong Panther

Tried to send pic of electronics, but it say cant send url untill ive done 10 comments. Cant find anything about 6.0 or 6.1 anywhere. So the box with all the wiring hooked up to it says "Multi Fuction Unit" and is has the Henglong Dragon on it. On the front of Book it has a number NO.3879-1. Not sure if it was upgraded, it has steel tracks, steel sprocket and all metal trans.
And the other circuit board with the crystal is TK-YL101-3 2010.4.20. The crystal (am assuming thats what it is) 02 RX FM 27.195.
Thank you for the help
Old 06-06-2021, 02:46 PM
jarndice

Originally Posted by Bluemax57 View Post
Tried to send pic of electronics, but it say cant send url untill ive done 10 comments. Cant find anything about 6.0 or 6.1 anywhere. So the box with all the wiring hooked up to it says "Multi Fuction Unit" and is has the Henglong Dragon on it. On the front of Book it has a number NO.3879-1. Not sure if it was upgraded, it has steel tracks, steel sprocket and all metal trans.
And the other circuit board with the crystal is TK-YL101-3 2010.4.20. The crystal (am assuming thats what it is) 02 RX FM 27.195.
Thank you for the help
I have bad news for you,
The Heng Long Panther 3879-1 is just about the oldest Tank in the Heng Long range and this model uses the long discontinued 27 Mhz r/c system,
It can be brought upto date but the amount of work rewiring the vehicle and the extra money for a modern MFU and Controller would make me want to park it and buy a version 6.0 Heng Long Panther..
It may have been boxed but it most certainly is not new, If it was sold to you by a dealer I suggest you ask for your money back because to be crude it would appear that you have been ripped off.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:34 PM
Bluemax57

Default panther

Originally Posted by jarndice View Post
I have bad news for you,
The Heng Long Panther 3879-1 is just about the oldest Tank in the Heng Long range and this model uses the long discontinued 27 Mhz r/c system,
It can be brought upto date but the amount of work rewiring the vehicle and the extra money for a modern MFU and Controller would make me want to park it and buy a version 6.0 Heng Long Panther..
It may have been boxed but it most certainly is not new, If it was sold to you by a dealer I suggest you ask for your money back because to be crude it would appear that you have been ripped off.
Well thanks for the info. Luckily it was free to me, found it in a house I was working on. It was still in original box, none of the little parts installed, just controller gone. So what parts would I need to get to get it going, I like fixing things and understand electronics and wiring, just not to familiar with RC stuff. It looks like a controller and the little blk box (maybe the MFU you mentioned) is less than 100 on Ebay. is that all I'll need? And what about the ckt brd with the crystal in it, does it also need replaced.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:07 PM
jarndice

Originally Posted by Bluemax57 View Post
Well thanks for the info. Luckily it was free to me, found it in a house I was working on. It was still in original box, none of the little parts installed, just controller gone. So what parts would I need to get to get it going, I like fixing things and understand electronics and wiring, just not to familiar with RC stuff. It looks like a controller and the little blk box (maybe the MFU you mentioned) is less than 100 on Ebay. is that all I'll need? And what about the ckt brd with the crystal in it, does it also need replaced.
You will need a Matching Controller and there are many similar looking but internally different controllers so do be very careful finding the correct one and as to the crystal it is still possible to find dealers selling the whole range for that MFU from 1 to 10 (Including 2 ).that will fit in your replacement controller,
Of course if the replacement controller has a number 2 crystal already fitted you will not need to buy another,
The lower front panel of the controller tells you which number crystal is installed.
Just don't expect your Panther to be anywhere near the later model Panthers from Heng Long,
I am reluctant to recommend dealers selling crystals to you without knowing where in the world you are..
Old 06-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Crius

Sounds like the tank itself is intact and all you need is the controller/TX/transmitter. This is the one you need, but the photo shows crystal 01 so you'd still need two matching crystals. They also show a photo of the a/b/c TX so I. would message the seller first and tell him you want a crystal type TX with 02 crystal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32423621012...Cclp%3A2047675

Your battery is probably also shot in a tank that old. Is it yellow or green?
Old 06-06-2021, 06:32 PM
Bluemax57

Thank you
Old 06-06-2021, 06:43 PM
Bluemax57

Yep, old battery. Yellow NICAD 7.2
Old 06-07-2021, 01:48 AM
Crius

Yeah, that battery is probably no good after all this time. It might work, but I'll be surprised if it does. If you don't want to wait for mail order and you have a local hobby shop nearby they probably carry Onyx batteries. I like the Onyx 3000mah. I have several of them that have lasted me for 10 years now. And if you go to the Internet for Batteries you will find the choices are endless. Just remember, you want 7.2 volt nimh or 7.4 lithium ion. I'll be looking forward to some photos once you have made your 10 post. By the way, that 10 post rule is to prevent spammers from opening an account and posting advertisement photos.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:02 PM
jarndice

Don't forget batteries come with a variety of different connectors,
Your Tank will have a Tamiya connector so you can search for a suitable battery that has a matching Tamiya Connector or spend not much money buying a few of the more popular connector convertors that will convert your new battery to a Tamiya compatible join,
Some Battery suppliers will at no cost change the battery connector to a Tamiya connector,
Just ask in advance, What's to lose?.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Tankster

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Another option worth considering is completely replace the electronics with a new quality aftermarket board and get a hobby grade radio. Then your rc tank experience will be greatly enhanced with more capabilities at your disposal. You got the tank for free so treat it to some quality upgrades.
Some folks are happy with simple jerky stop and go toy tank movement and basic functions, nothing wrong with that, but if you want to step your game up a bit with realistic slow speed control and have custom sound effects at your fingertips, check out the aftermarket upgrades.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:58 PM
Bluemax57

I was thinking about getting the original controller on Ebay, and if I like the tank and it works, then possibly go for the upgrade. Looks like original will cost me less than $30. The V3 upgrade $100-150.
And yes I'll look into the battery options you guys have mentioned.
Thanks for all the help.
I'll include pics soon