Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

2 German Retailers……deaf?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

2 German Retailers……deaf?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:05 PM
Panzerpaul

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2 German Retailers……deaf?

Any of you guys from the states ever send an email to ASIATAM & MK-MODELLBAU.DE……. “AND” get a reply???

I have sent 2 emails to each over the last couple weeks and “NO RESPONSE”. Do they only deal w/ German Buyers? I was inquiring about placing a hefty order to each, so you’d think they would be interested enough to respond ????
Old 05-28-2021, 11:04 PM
Tanque

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzerpaul View Post
Any of you guys from the states ever send an email to ASIATAM & MK-MODELLBAU.DE……. “AND” get a reply???

I have sent 2 emails to each over the last couple weeks and “NO RESPONSE”. Do they only deal w/ German Buyers? I was inquiring about placing a hefty order to each, so you’d think they would be interested enough to respond ????
Not recently but I've purchased a bunch of stuff from Asiatam. Always reasonably good at communication and items sent promptly. Don't recall
doing business with the other seller.

Jerry
Old 05-29-2021, 01:26 AM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I've bought tons of stuff from Asiatam and MK Modellbau without any issue. Order was made via website and no other comminication was needed. In some other retailers from Germany I have some delays i.e Ludwigs Hobby wchich makes orders only via email and sometimes anwswers after a week or so.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:51 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never, ever, gotten a reply from asiatam.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 05-29-2021 at 02:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Will01Capri (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 03:16 AM
tomhugill

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Asiatam are terrible. Mk are generally brilliant. But I speak to Martin direct in Facebook messenger.

​​​​​​
Old 05-29-2021, 04:49 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you write to them in Duetsch?
Old 05-29-2021, 01:07 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

As far I know Asiatam are run by two Chinese-German gals (hence Asia in the name), so maybe try in Chinese
Old 05-29-2021, 11:15 PM
Tanque

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

All I know is that once upon a time they had very decent 1/10 scale Tiger 1 tracks in steel complete with sprocket and no one anywhere else that I've found
ever had those. They had three sets, I was able to buy 2. After that 3rd set sold they've never had them again- the current 1/10 Tiger I tracks they sell are zinc
alloy. Particularly annoying as they said they were going to carry 1/10 scale steel Panther tracks but I never saw them.

They have a 1/16 SdAh 116 trailer for the Famo they sell which I'd like to have but it ain't cheap...

Jerry
Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 AM
Crius

Received 150 Likes on 132 Posts

I have their Opel Blitz. Truck is great, mother board ... not so much. Hang up for a split second and the motor controllers blow. Twice. At $120 each. But the truck is fantastic. But after that I tried to email them about some pinion gears and never got a reply. If what you're after is in stock I would just order it. Do they still take paypal? Use it if they do.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:36 AM
Crius

It might help if we knew why you emailed them to start with. If it's for a part or something there might be someone here that knows of another source.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:58 AM
heavyaslead

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember doing business with Germany some years ago, and noted that twice a year the factories take about a month off.

Perhaps its that time again
Old 06-01-2021, 02:20 PM
jarndice

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Asiatam's Panzer 4 metal hull is an unmitigated disaster (It is too long and the rear roller needs lowering) I would suggest that anyone trying to upgrade their PZ4 should avoid that hull although the usual alternative (Taigens PZ4 Metal Hull) has almost as many failings,
If you can get hold of it I would recommend the Tamiya Metal Hull.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:52 AM
jha13

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last week i send a email to asiatam and get response within 1 hour.
MK need time, the response is slow.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:39 PM
Panzerpaul

Happy to report that both retailers have now replied and provided the info needed. But Asiatam’s reply was in Deutsche. PP
Old 06-08-2021, 10:09 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Yep, German suppliers prefer emails in German, even if it's a rough translation from Google
Old 06-11-2021, 07:47 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

To be fair I think all of us vendors are getting many more emails than usual. I can 100% attest to that actually. We are getting a lot more volume than normal on emails and it is rough keeping up the last week or so. I had a family member involved in a 5 car accident and have been taking care of them last and this week while going back and forth to work. Between all the dr visits, rehab, and paperwork I have been away a lot and the support team suffers due to that. I should be back to normal hours next week and hopefully we can stay caught up. A few emails are still being answered to please bear with us if you haven't been answered yet. I think we are down to 50ish left and I am hoping we can get most of that done before I have to leave early today for more dr visits.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:01 PM
Panzerpaul

Yes Eric I’m sure a lot of vendors are overwhelmed w emails, and it takes time to answer all
of them, but it seems to me that if you are conducting worldwide business from a country (which would be foreign to buyers in the USA), that the seller should be prepared to read and respond in English. Requiring that American buyers write an email in the language of the seller means for most of us that we must depend on Google Translate to provide the foreign words to put in our email and to interpret any foreign language email
response….. and we all know how unreliable that process is !!! So if a seller can’t speak English or won’t hire an employee who does, then they should only conduct business w people who speak their language and make this very clear on the front page of their website. That way, an American buyer can choose not to conduct said business w them…..or find a friend who understands the foreign language to act as an interpreter.

But of course this presupposes that said seller is willing to forgoe selling to the American market, which I believe includes more than 60% of all worldwide RC tankers. PP

PS: I hope your family members all recover fully and quickly from that accident….
Old 06-12-2021, 01:16 AM
lposter

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

For communication in the major languages.... Google works quite well in my experience. At least for simple transactions like buying toy tank parts.

Often the simple act of attempting an initial communication in the sellers language engenders a more positive response. English is not necessarily that popular on the continent.

I have often tried to buy something in english in Europe to find thw waiter has no english. But if I speak Swedish instead, suddenly they can english!

strange but true.

p

Old 06-12-2021, 04:50 AM
Rad_Schuhart

But of course this presupposes that said seller is willing to forgoe selling to the American market, which I believe includes more than 60% of all worldwide RC tankers. PP
American tankers might be a 20% maximum. There are LOADS in germany and a big bunch in the UK. Also the best aftermarket boards are all made there: Beier, Elmod, Benedini, Servonaut, SGS and many more.

Many german sellers, including tamiya kit sellers even refuse to ship outside germany, not even to close neighbours like france or even Austria, so imagine how wealthy they must be. That is something I have never ever seen in any ither country, by the way.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 06-12-2021 at 05:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rad_Schuhart:
cleong (06-12-2021), Tankster (06-13-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 05:22 AM
cleong

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart View Post
American tankers might be a 20% maximum. There are LOADS in germany and a big bunch in the UK. Also the best aftermarket boards are all made there: Beier, Elmod, Benedini, Servonaut, SGS and many more.

Many german sellers, including tamiya kit sellers even refuse to ship outside germany, not even to close neighbours like france or even Austria, so imagine how wealthy they must be.
This. When I started researching Leopard 2A4s available on the market, English Google didn’t get me very far, till I started Googling in translated German, which opened me to a whole new world of forums, builds, manufacturers and sellers. It wasn’t quite an Eureka moment as I was aware something like this did exist - I’m ethnic Chinese and do check in from time to time with the Hong Kong and Shenzhen forums (plus Hermill is in the Middle Kingdom) to see what’s going on over there.

That being said, English is Lingua Franca on the internet and any retailer intending a global reach should have some capacity to handle inquiries in that language. For me, the hint would be that they have a native-language page and an English equivalent. However it is worthwhile to note that even Tamiya’s own Japanese website has an English and Japanese version, but it is always the Japanese version that is the most current and updated.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:52 AM
lposter

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Im guessing some of the german hobbyists have serious buying power judging by the prices I see on some of the german only language sites.

Some of the 1:10 offerings and even 1:16.items have ridiculous prices and yet there is obviously a market for their stuff - presumably in Germany.

So I agree with the two posts above. I think the german language sites are well able to remain profitable by catering solely to a German speaking customer base (which includes Swiss, Belgian, Dutch and others probably).

p
Old 06-12-2021, 09:42 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart View Post

Many german sellers, including tamiya kit sellers even refuse to ship outside germany, not even to close neighbours like france or even Austria, so imagine how wealthy they must be. That is something I have never ever seen in any ither country, by the way.
Good point, Rad. You'd be surprised how often I have to remind my countrymen that 96% of all the people in the world ... are not Americans.

But I do have to disagree with you on one point, my friend, the finest tank board in the world is made in Australia.

But now that has me thinking, because those boards are actually made in China for an Australian chap. It seems like everything in the world is made in China these days, I wonder how many of the good boards are actually made in Germany and not outsourced to China for production? And I also wonder about RC tanking in China. Internet access there is not the best, or so I understand, and I remember communicating with a Chinese guy for help with a printer, and he was unable to watch any videos I made and posted on youtube. I had to convert the files and send them through a 3rd party service before he could see them. That makes me wonder how many talented RC tankers might be in China that we just can't hear from? I mean, that is, after all, where the majority of tanks are made, I wonder how they do in their home market? Sometimes I think I wonder about too much stuff.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by lposter View Post
Im guessing some of the german hobbyists have serious buying power judging by the prices I see on some of the german only language sites.

Some of the 1:10 offerings and even 1:16.items have ridiculous prices and yet there is obviously a market for their stuff - presumably in Germany.

So I agree with the two posts above. I think the german language sites are well able to remain profitable by catering solely to a German speaking customer base (which includes Swiss, Belgian, Dutch and others probably).

p
As a first generation German/American it pains me to say it, but my fellow Germans are absolutely bonkers when it comes to the prices they are willing to pay for stuff. To say some of those prices are ridiculous is an understatement of truly epic proportion!! And in the end I think that's bad for the hobby as a whole. The more economical we can keep things the more people will be able to enjoy them. I've always said there's a difference between making a fair profit and just gouging folks. I know that price has kept me from ordering a lot of cool stuff from Germany.

Disclaimer: If anyone takes offense to my remarks, keep in mind that I am German by blood, so I'll talk bad if I want to. Kinda like how it's OK for a black guy to use the N word, it's OK for me to talk smack about Germans. Sie sind mein Volk.
The following users liked this post:
sevoblast (06-15-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Good point mentioning China, Crius. In fact even when I wrote 20%, I really believe they can even be even less than a 5% but I did not want to offend anybody, lol. I think this is the main american forum, which has minor activity, and many of us are from somewhere else in the world. As you already know some other European forums are way more active, which by force means way more members.
As Cleong said, if you look for german forums shops and groups you will find loads and loads of them. (And I also agree with Cleong again with the horrible prices most of the german equipment has.)
There are also loads of asian/chinese/russian guys that we cannot easily find because they use another alphabet, but oh man, they do really exist and are quite a lot. As another example and even when using most of our alphabet, the other day I discovered a super active group with meetings in Hungary, which is only 60 kms away from here. Go and figure. No doubt America is famous because of the Danvile events, but... that is it.

'bout the best board, well, I guess you mean the ASP 2. IMHO It used to be the best and I still use it, but the last Beier I reviewed... oh man, I have not seen anything nowhere near close to it. https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...beier-sfr-1-d/ As far as I know Beier, Elmod and Benedini boards are really made in Germany but it would not surprise me if they are made in china because as you pointed almost all comes from there, but if I am not mistaken, yeah, european made.

Said that, I can't wait to get more RCTA products!

Oh! and I almost forgot! I also agree all german sellers should be able to speak English, for god's sake. I am nowhere near a seller, but even when I am spanish living in Austria, all my website is in english!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:24 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
my fellow Germans are absolutely bonkers when it comes to the prices they are willing to pay for stuff. To say some of those prices are ridiculous is an understatement of truly epic proportion!! And in the end I think that's bad for the hobby as a whole. The more economical we can keep things the more people will be able to enjoy them. I've always said there's a difference between making a fair profit and just gouging folks. I know that price has kept me from ordering a lot of cool stuff from Germany.
Can't agree more with every word there. And many times those prices does not mean quality. I have seen some neanderthal 1.500 eur radio + 300 eur receiver (yes, each receiver 300 eur! and nope, not bashing tamiya/futaba this time) being sold like hot bread around here. I will never understand it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.