Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

An IDF Marksman Heck Yeah!

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

An IDF Marksman Heck Yeah!

Old 06-03-2021, 05:59 AM
RichJohnson

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
Default An IDF Marksman Heck Yeah!

With Armored Models producing the Marksman AAA turret for the Chiefton, T55 and Leopard 2a4, I had a stunning idea.
https://www.facebook.com/Armoured-Mo...5202011329778/

I wanted to put one on a sherman and make it IDF. Yes Im crazy but hey, I get to be the first.
The kit came with an amazing 42 page instruction manual, its servo for gun operation and the motor gear box for the radar.
It also included the smoker and air pump to blow the smoke out the barrels when firing is triggered.
I asked for all the options with my kit so it had all these options though I opted for one smoker system rather than two.

Armored Models produces this turret with a the large Henglong turret ring. I commissioned him to produce a bottom to fit a Henglong sherman ring for me. It took him a while but he did a great job of it. The white base under the turret that attaches to the ring gear in the hull is magnetized to the turret so you can open it up and access for smoke fluid and such.

The turret appears to be printed in urethane and is excellent quality finish. Its hard plastic feel is alot nicer than most 3d printed material.

The only flaw I cam across was most holes that had to have a peg or something inserted into them were too small. I sanded the side openings in the turret where the carrier bearings press fit through for the guns. Not an issue, just takes a little time.

I have to say Im quite impressed with this product as I have built a lot of small market tank kits and this one, is by far the most professional one I have built yet. It was costly to me when considering the Pound to Dollar exchange rate but I got an awesome model so it was worth what I paid.

The carrier bearings for the gun system are huge and impressive.

I plopped the turret onto the old tamiya creating a monster. I figure what the hey, the IDF built all kinds of crazy huge things onto shermans in the 70s and 80s as they were removed from training and reserve service as main gun tanks. I think this will look really cool on our field during the IDF battles.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 06-03-2021 at 06:05 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RichJohnson:
Conan_the_Hungarian (09-25-2021), herrmill (06-04-2021), LosTxSouL94 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:40 AM
tankme

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

It's an interesting fantasy build for sure. Always liked the idea of the French FL10 turret on the Sherman. Had no idea they threw this Marksman turret on so many vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:58 PM
herrmill

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Now that's different! Very Mad Maxesque.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:04 PM
MAUS45

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I love it!!!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:19 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Might look badass on a bulldog chassis....

With the HVSS Sherman shortage right now feels wrong....

But I get you.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:28 PM
RichJohnson

This in an old computerized sherman Im converting over to bearings in the bogies and improving the return rollers. The chassis isnt really suitable for a battle tank with the crappy trannys in it. Just enough to get it around a bit.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:28 AM
RichJohnson

Made alot of progress just slowly putzing with this project while Im inbetween projects on other tanks. Its good to have a few workbenches for various simultaneous projects.
I decided to make my Marksman Sherman a previous M4 105 based M50 that had been converted over to the Marksman.
Its coming along nicely. Im waiting to get a control board at this point to make it work so Im just moving along with the hull build out now.

The following users liked this post:
bowlman (09-16-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 07:24 AM
RichJohnson

I finished with the side detail arrangement and reparing some of the broken details like lights and brush guards. This hull is from my old pre full option dmd 2 channel sherman from the 1990s. I reused it with this project. Somehow I get around to reusing all my old cast off parts.
This IDF marksman theme is theoretically built on a prior M50 that had the turret removed. In the event this build performs poorly and has issues, I will remove the turret and save it and then convert the hull over to an M50 by building a turret for it. I built it as a very late post 1973 engine deck and it will have the large stowage bin on the back soon. I decided to use the US jerrycan pieces from henglong out of expediency, I just dont wnat to make little jerry racks for this thing.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:57 AM
MAUS45

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That looks great, just stay away from drifting when you drive it. LOL