Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long Full Metal 1/16 Leopard 2A6

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Full Metal 1/16 Leopard 2A6

Old 06-26-2021, 01:55 AM
  #1  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heng Long Full Metal 1/16 Leopard 2A6

Heng Long has a full metal leopard for sale online. It comes with this package.

Tank with full metal upper hull, chassis, tracks, sprockets, idlers, return rollers, torsion suspension bars, road wheels, and 550 driving gearbox
HengLong 6.1 ver mainboard
360 degrees unlimited rotation turret
with remote control, without battery
B3 Charger

- Main Features:
1. Very solid and fine scale upper hull and metal chassis, steel wire torsion bar system.
2, Best Scale metal Tracks with rubber pads, metal driving wheels, idler wheels.
3. Full metal road wheels, suspension bar,
4. Full metal big torque driving gearboxes, 550 brushed motor, enclosed full metal gears, better wear-resisting property.
4. 100% Scale appearance of real tank.
5. Pivot steering.
6. Each action acts with mimic real tank mechanical sound, and there are dual sounds.
7. Cool hull-recoil action and firing sound effect.
8. Control turret 360 degrees rotation.
9. Control barrel up and down almost 30 degrees.
10. Lights simulation of real tank lights, turn left/right lights, backup lights, front head lights and so on are all well ready.
11. Mimics real tank firing barrel recoil function
12. Multi-sounds (at least 4) can be adjustable.
13. Laser lights ( It provides your tank a cool and surrealistic aiming effect.)

I currently own HL Abram, and T-90. I enjoyed playing with both of them and do my own repair and maintenance, so I am not total newbie. But I like to play with modern tank more, so I was wondering if this tank is a good buy? Asking any experts here to give me some insights.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:15 AM
  #2  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 3,928
Likes: 0
Received 150 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

First, you have to remember that the seller is probably reading all that right off the box and the Chinese are famous for making mistakes on their boxes. I once bought a panther that the box mistakenly had all the features for the tiger so I did not get the adjustable track tensioner or the metal tracks that the box advertised. With that said, the first thing I would be suspicious of is the Full Metal upper Hull. As far as I know, all HL, TG and Torro tanks have a plastic upper hull and some tanks have metal turrets. As far as I know, Mato is the only company that makes a metal upper hull for their tanks. And as far as I know, mato does not make an all metal Leo.

As for whether or not it's a good deal, it depends on the price. I understand why you would not want to post a link to the item so that no one can steal it from you, but can you copy and paste some of the photos? And also tell us how much they want for it.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:38 AM
  #3  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elgin, TX
Posts: 997
Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

If it is truly full metal is should be pretty expensive compared to a regular Heng Long, but as far as I know HL does not make a full metal Leopard. If it's not expensive then it's probably a scam. A Taigen JS-2 is like $600 and it's not full metal (mostly metal - top deck is plastic) so if this HL is less than that it's probably too good to be true. As far as I know, Heng Long does not make a 550 motor gearbox. I do have a set of 550 gearboxes that were meant for a Leo chassis, but HL has never sold them. DKLM RC and RC Tank Legion are the only popular venders I know of that are selling them off the top of my head. They don't make the full metal Leopard, but I think the company that makes the 550 gearbox lower is making the full metal upper. Both are selling the full metal Leo where everything is metal to include the deck. If that is one you are looking at then the price is pretty good for what you get, but it doesn't come with electronics so you have to do that all on your own. I say pretty good because the chassis with the gearboxes and no upper/turret or electronics is $399 by itself. Those are really the two vendors I would trust to send you what you bought (full metal Leopard) and they are below:

https://www.dklmrc.com/product/fm_leopard2 $799 - NO ELECTRONCS
https://www.rctanklegion.com/product...ts-leopard-2-1 $1121 - NO ELECTRONCS

They aren't the only vendors I trust, but they are the only two that I know of that are selling the full metal Leopard that I trust.

Last edited by tankme; 06-26-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:50 AM
  #4  
Fsttanks
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 631
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DeEmEn1234 View Post
Heng Long has a full metal leopard for sale online. It comes with this package.

Tank with full metal upper hull, chassis, tracks, sprockets, idlers, return rollers, torsion suspension bars, road wheels, and 550 driving gearbox
HengLong 6.1 ver mainboard
360 degrees unlimited rotation turret
with remote control, without battery
B3 Charger

- Main Features:
1. Very solid and fine scale upper hull and metal chassis, steel wire torsion bar system.
2, Best Scale metal Tracks with rubber pads, metal driving wheels, idler wheels.
3. Full metal road wheels, suspension bar,
4. Full metal big torque driving gearboxes, 550 brushed motor, enclosed full metal gears, better wear-resisting property.
4. 100% Scale appearance of real tank.
5. Pivot steering.
6. Each action acts with mimic real tank mechanical sound, and there are dual sounds.
7. Cool hull-recoil action and firing sound effect.
8. Control turret 360 degrees rotation.
9. Control barrel up and down almost 30 degrees.
10. Lights simulation of real tank lights, turn left/right lights, backup lights, front head lights and so on are all well ready.
11. Mimics real tank firing barrel recoil function
12. Multi-sounds (at least 4) can be adjustable.
13. Laser lights ( It provides your tank a cool and surrealistic aiming effect.)

I currently own HL Abram, and T-90. I enjoyed playing with both of them and do my own repair and maintenance, so I am not total newbie. But I like to play with modern tank more, so I was wondering if this tank is a good buy? Asking any experts here to give me some insights.
Lets just say it has a really good lower hull and suspension system compared to the “standard” HL Leopards. Otherwise upper hull and functions are about the same in detail. Don’t expect anything better in the functionality area then you already have with your Abrams and T90.

The upgraded track it comes with is also nothing special and is readily available on a number of web sights. Many of us that have experience with this tank find it runs better if you replace the track it comes with to Tamiya Leopard 2 or Tamiya Abrams tracks. Expensive YES but so much smother and reliable by comparison.

Overall worth the money for the tank? Yes if you love the Leopard 2 and want one with a super strong lower hull.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:29 AM
  #5  
sclui
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 59
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

This Toucan listing seems to tick the OP boxes Metal Leo 2
Old 06-26-2021, 05:39 PM
  #6  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elgin, TX
Posts: 997
Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I've bought from Toucan Hobbies and they good to deal with also.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:40 PM
  #7  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
First, you have to remember that the seller is probably reading all that right off the box and the Chinese are famous for making mistakes on their boxes. I once bought a panther that the box mistakenly had all the features for the tiger so I did not get the adjustable track tensioner or the metal tracks that the box advertised. With that said, the first thing I would be suspicious of is the Full Metal upper Hull. As far as I know, all HL, TG and Torro tanks have a plastic upper hull and some tanks have metal turrets. As far as I know, Mato is the only company that makes a metal upper hull for their tanks. And as far as I know, mato does not make an all metal Leo.

As for whether or not it's a good deal, it depends on the price. I understand why you would not want to post a link to the item so that no one can steal it from you, but can you copy and paste some of the photos? And also tell us how much they want for it.
I would love to upload a picture, but I post less than 10 posts, I am mostly just lurking here, and just decided to make an account lol. So far the place where I bought my parts from haven't failed me, which is also the same place where they are selling this full metal tank. They want $1100 for it.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:44 PM
  #8  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
If it is truly full metal is should be pretty expensive compared to a regular Heng Long, but as far as I know HL does not make a full metal Leopard. If it's not expensive then it's probably a scam. A Taigen JS-2 is like $600 and it's not full metal (mostly metal - top deck is plastic) so if this HL is less than that it's probably too good to be true. As far as I know, Heng Long does not make a 550 motor gearbox. I do have a set of 550 gearboxes that were meant for a Leo chassis, but HL has never sold them. DKLM RC and RC Tank Legion are the only popular venders I know of that are selling them off the top of my head. They don't make the full metal Leopard, but I think the company that makes the 550 gearbox lower is making the full metal upper. Both are selling the full metal Leo where everything is metal to include the deck. If that is one you are looking at then the price is pretty good for what you get, but it doesn't come with electronics so you have to do that all on your own. I say pretty good because the chassis with the gearboxes and no upper/turret or electronics is $399 by itself. Those are really the two vendors I would trust to send you what you bought (full metal Leopard) and they are below:

They aren't the only vendors I trust, but they are the only two that I know of that are selling the full metal Leopard that I trust.

I think it's the same as the one from rctanklegion. But this one comes with all electronics and ready to roll. I also bought stuff from rctanklegion, just hate the import tax from Canada.

Yea, I cant even post URL because I have less than 10 posts, so I had to modify the comment.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:46 PM
  #9  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by sclui View Post
This Toucan listing seems to tick the OP boxes
that's it. But I can't post link or pic... this is why I cant provide more info.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:48 PM
  #10  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
Lets just say it has a really good lower hull and suspension system compared to the “standard” HL Leopards. Otherwise upper hull and functions are about the same in detail. Don’t expect anything better in the functionality area then you already have with your Abrams and T90.

The upgraded track it comes with is also nothing special and is readily available on a number of web sights. Many of us that have experience with this tank find it runs better if you replace the track it comes with to Tamiya Leopard 2 or Tamiya Abrams tracks. Expensive YES but so much smother and reliable by comparison.

Overall worth the money for the tank? Yes if you love the Leopard 2 and want one with a super strong lower hull.
I love modern tank, so I guess it's worth it for me haha! Yea, I realize function wise, it's not much different except for the gear box and the weight from the full metal.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:26 PM
  #11  
sclui
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 59
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

It's probably something Toucan assembled using these upper + lower + HL Tx/Rx Upper & Lower
Old 06-27-2021, 11:21 PM
  #12  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by sclui View Post
It's probably something Toucan assembled using these upper + lower + HL Tx/Rx
Yup I think that's it, but this one I want to buy comes with all electronic and stuff. I am wondering if it's a good buy. USD $1100-ish.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:23 AM
  #13  
Shagnifico
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san antonio, TX
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I have the dklm one. It's probably my best machine, and unlike my tamiya I don't worry about parts breaking off whenever there is a strong breeze. It's not exactly like the HL plastic leopard. It has ball bearings in the turret and torsion bar suspension. Switch and charger port concealed on the back. It's got 550 motors and servo elevation and recoil so if you put a HL board in it use the 6.1S. Maybe even with a fuse. I recommend replacing the metal turret traverse unit with a plastic HL high speed traverse unit with clutch. They did a good job of adhering the rubber pads to the tracks. I installed front blinker LEDs, tamiya photo etched mesh for the turret baskets and replaced the cooling fan mesh with tamiya photo etched grills. A GI Model smoke unit for exhaust and a HL gun barrel smoke unit. I put a clark tk80 in it but this tank with a 6.1S and a cs-tk-swb stabilization unit would be pretty dope. It comes with a bunch of LEDs for the hull, also it comes with upgraded headlights and a coax laser in addition to the coax mg led. All the turret LEDs come pre-installed. It's cast aluminum so the fine detail isn't great, and there is some ugly panel gap that you'll have to fill on the front where the upper and lower hull meet. With a battery it weighs 20 lbs. For me this tank is absolutely worth $1000ish. Yes the level of fine detail suffers but it's worth it to have a super durable, powerful mud slinging tank.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:58 AM
  #14  
DeEmEn1234
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Shagnifico View Post
I have the dklm one. It's probably my best machine, and unlike my tamiya I don't worry about parts breaking off whenever there is a strong breeze. It's not exactly like the HL plastic leopard. It has ball bearings in the turret and torsion bar suspension. Switch and charger port concealed on the back. It's got 550 motors and servo elevation and recoil so if you put a HL board in it use the 6.1S. Maybe even with a fuse. I recommend replacing the metal turret traverse unit with a plastic HL high speed traverse unit with clutch. They did a good job of adhering the rubber pads to the tracks. I installed front blinker LEDs, tamiya photo etched mesh for the turret baskets and replaced the cooling fan mesh with tamiya photo etched grills. A GI Model smoke unit for exhaust and a HL gun barrel smoke unit. I put a clark tk80 in it but this tank with a 6.1S and a cs-tk-swb stabilization unit would be pretty dope. It comes with a bunch of LEDs for the hull, also it comes with upgraded headlights and a coax laser in addition to the coax mg led. All the turret LEDs come pre-installed. It's cast aluminum so the fine detail isn't great, and there is some ugly panel gap that you'll have to fill on the front where the upper and lower hull meet. With a battery it weighs 20 lbs. For me this tank is absolutely worth $1000ish. Yes the level of fine detail suffers but it's worth it to have a super durable, powerful mud slinging tank.
Thanks for all your input, I am really interested in purchasing this tank not only because I like modern tank, but also Canadian Forces (yes, I am Canadian) is also using Leopard 2, and I got link up and be able to paint it with the paint they use on their real tank.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.