Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Strange Tank Shut Off Problem

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Strange Tank Shut Off Problem

Old 07-22-2021, 05:28 AM
Squad144

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Strange Tank Shut Off Problem

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I bought a Tiger 1 kit from Taigen about a year and a half ago. I am pretty mechanically inclined and somewhat electrically due to my airsoft teching background and I was able to build the model no problem. It worked for a little over a year and then the problem struck. The problem is that the tank will just randomly shut off its power 30s into a run. The even weirder part is that if I just tap the on switch, the tank turns power back on. I originally just thought that the MFU has a low voltage cutoff and that my battery (7.2 3600 mAh NiMh) just needed more charge. But the battery was still full of juice. So I swapped the batteries in the remote. Still nothing. I decided that their must be something that is drawing too much current. I took the upper hull off to lighten the load and rule out any possible soldering mistakes that could have occurred in the turret. Still though, I can conclude that the problem still occurs with the upper hull pulled off. With the upper hull still off, I pulled the connections to the sound card, speaker, and control knob. It still occurred though. The batteries are fresh in both the tank and TX. I really have no clue. Have any of you more experienced modelers encountered a problem like this?
Old 07-22-2021, 05:31 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the switch is shot to me.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:29 AM
Crius

Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Did it come with the V1 mfu? The way to tell is to look for the six small sockets where you would attach the servo cables if you want to use your own transmitter. If your mfu is not capable of using a hobby grade transmitter then it's a V1. If you're in the United States, I can send you a V-1 mfu that I know is good and you can try it and see if that eliminates your problem. All you have to pay is postage, probably $8.50 for the small flat rate box. That is, provided you have a United States ZIP code. If you're outside the country I'm not sure I can help you.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:16 AM
Squad144

The electronics are the v3 variant. I actually got them free with the kit when I bought it. (Taigen is awesome) I currently reside in Southern Mississippi due to the military.

Can I get those switches from a hardware store like Ace? I might try that before I buy the v1 MFU. If a new switch does not work, I will pm you (Crius) for paypal info.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 AM
Crius

You should be able to use the V1 for test purposes, if you plug it in and everything works then you know something is bad in your V3. The switches should be available at any Electronics shop, but electronic shops are getting pretty hard to find, especially since the demise of Radio Shack. If it were me, I would simply twist the wires together in a constant on position and then plug in the battery and see what happens. If everything works fine then you know it's the switch, if you still have the same problem then you know it's not the switch.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:30 PM
Squad144

The two black wire and the two red wires all twisted together?

Or the black twisted to black and red twisted to red?

Also, what amperage switch are used on these tanks?

Last edited by Squad144; 07-22-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:21 PM
Crius

Do you have enough post yet to post photos? That would really help. If you got the stock on off switch there should be two black wires attached to one of the outside pins, one red wire attached to the middle pin, and one red wire attached to the other outside pin. You twist the two red wires together. Make sure your battery is unplugged when you do this. You know what, I can make you a video. Standby.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Squad144

I just twisted the red to red and black to black, plugged it in and what do you know? The tanks works! It is not shutting off as of yet. So I beleive I can aquire a new switch from my local store but I need to know what amp switch I should get. Does it matter for tanks like these?

Last edited by Squad144; 07-22-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Crius

See if this helps

You got lucky this time, you didn't fry anything. You can find just about everything you need to know here, but it can sometimes take a minute. Patience, Grasshopper.

PM your address and I'll send you a switch.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:53 PM
Squad144

You got some good content on your channel. I like that Tiger II build.

I just need the switch so I will be sending my address in a PM.

And to answer your question about the v3 TX and v1 MFU compatability, I have personally tested a v1 mfu in by brother's sturmtiger with the v3 TX out of sheer curiosity and it worked. I cannot recall what the all the switches conntrolled but it did work.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:36 AM
Crius

If you want to see all the content on that channel you have to click on videos, then you go to the "sort by" box and make sure you're set for oldest to newest. Otherwise you can only go back for a couple years. If you go oldest to newest it will show every video I've made right from the very start. I like that because it's a kind of chronological journey through my experiences with RC tanks. The newer the videos get, the more you can see that I have learned.

I'll try and get that switch in the mail tomorrow, will you be able to solder this, or should I add some pigtail wires for you to connect to? I have several, so I can send just the switch and that won't cost you anything, but if you want the wiring harness that you saw in the video I'll have to see how much I paid for that and you can have it for however much I paid. I can probably still get that in a padded mailer so you won't have to pay postage. Just let me know what you prefer.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:11 AM
Squad144

I can solder. I did the whole upper hull of the tank and I have rewired many airsoft guns. Thanks for offering to include the pigtails though.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Crius

Good to know you can solder, you'd be surprised at how many guys are just scared to death of that soldering iron. You'll get a much cleaner installation if you solder it at the switch instead of using pigtails. I should be able to get that in the mail tomorrow, I got the p.m. so I have the address.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:42 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do yourself a favour since you are doing the switch anyway and put a 10 amp fuse on the black line and just put red to red on the new switch... :-)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Crius

A fuse is always a good idea, but just to be clear, you will solder one red wire to the center pin on the switch and one red wire to an outer pin on the switch. The two black wires both get soldered to the other outer pin on the switch. Just like in the video. And personally, I usually put my fuse inline on the red wire coming from the battery.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:12 PM
Squad144

A fuse is a great tip. Can it be higher? I am just afraid that the weight of the tank will draw more amps. Also, should it be a glass fuse or more like a car fuse?

Just another question completely off topic but how should I make my tank have a quieter rotating turret. I have the old version of the turret plate so I do not have the bearings. It seems to struggle to turn in some parts and become easier in others and it is quite loud.

Speaking of cutting noise down, my gearboxes are awfully loud as well. Is there a way to quiet the old v1 gearboxes?

What are some good gearboxes that will slow the tank down and make it super torquey?

Sorry I know these are a lot of questions...

Last edited by Squad144; 07-23-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:42 AM
Crius

For the turret rotation I use a little powdered graphite. You can pick it up at any store that sells those little derby cars like they build in the Boy Scouts. I pull the turret ring so that I can lift it and turn it over, and apply little graphite to the bottom of the turret and around the hole on the upper Hull. Then I just set it down and twist it back and forth a few times to let the graphite spread out and then I replace the turret ring and that usually helps quite a bit. As for gearbox noise, there's not a whole lot you can do, but you might try lapping them. I think I have a video about that where I lapped the gears on the brand new gear boxes, but they didn't really get much quieter. I usually just turn the engine sounds all the way up to mask it.