Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

I realize I'm an grumpy old guy but...

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

I realize I'm an grumpy old guy but...

Old 08-08-2021, 08:19 PM
Tanque

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I realize I'm an grumpy old guy but...

...is RCU becoming more annoying by the day?? Adds everywhere, popups everywhere, blocking content, interrupting good content loading...
on and on gripe after gripe...

It's also causing my Mozilla based browser to blow out on memory...

It's getting so I've been seriously considering forgetting this site altogether.

Hrrrrrrrrrrrumpf.

Jerry
Old 08-08-2021, 08:24 PM
cleong

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm using Google Chrome with the Adblock plug-in. Works fine for me.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:43 PM
herrmill

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Safari. No issues & even better than RCG.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:06 AM
lposter

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Mobile phone/android. No problems at all with ads for some reason,
Old 08-09-2021, 05:24 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Try Ghostery for Firefox or noscript, will fix those pesky ads.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:59 AM
Tanque

Well phooey, you guys aren't any help at all.... not one among you to commiserate with!

I have multiple browsers to choose from on this machine all equipped with ad blockers. I know it's the browser I use
but I love this old browser- have been using it in one form or another for as long as I've been on Windows and
that's a really, really long time. I hate to move to Edge or Chrome or Firefox as primary as I've become soooooooooo accustomed
to the GUI of this thing. I once used Firefox a lot as a developer because of the debugger plugin "Fireplug" so I may
eventually force myself over there...

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh why can't things just stay as they are....

Hrrrrruummmpf!

Jerry
Old 08-09-2021, 07:59 AM
RichJohnson

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

I hear ya Jerry. Technology changes too fast for me
Old 08-09-2021, 08:44 AM
RC_BobM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Still not as annoying for me as FB. Millions of adds, friend requests from people in Botswana I've never heard of. Chat rooms, story boards, messengers, Groups by the bazzillions - updates from the groups, comments about everyone's daily post. Don't forget everyone in the worlds political view, vaccination views, kid and family updates, what beer and hamburger place you went to today, where everyone went on vacation....Do you suffer from Irritable bowel syndrome?? A new breakthrough <click here>, Need solar panels to recharge your e-bike??? <click here>, How about survival food that lasts for 120 years? <click here> Aaarg enough already!

Give me a good Project forum any day!
B
Old 08-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Tanque

It's why I still maintain a hobby website. No ads, popups, annoying requests or other nonsense. Just me rambling on about the subtleties of this screw versus that screw.
Why I do what I do. It's a one man show with nothing between me and the most basic HTML...

Jerry
Old 08-09-2021, 06:41 PM
ksoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brave Browser (Mac) and ExpressVPN (with Safari as a back up). Usually a very peaceful browsing experience.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Tanque

Yeah I just wanted to gripe about something. With my iPhone or iPad browsing the site is less trying. This PC is my main
PC and I use it for everything at home but I have 5 others ( I used to simulate my work environment at home to do local testing and debugging)
but old habits die really hard. My browser is Seamonkey, the openware successor to Netscape Navigator/Communicator (Mozilla) if any of you remember that. I started using Netscape almost from release 1. I liked it because it had an embedded email client and I always like POP forwarding to keep my email locally.
Now having been on Outlook for years the client is no longer needed so I really could convert to another browser but I'm stubborn, besides what else
could I gripe about....

I use this old browser for likely the same reasons I still haven't jumped into 3D printing or CNC machining... I'm an old dog who can only learn so
many more new tricks...

I'll get over it.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:44 AM
sevoblast

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

You will never find ads on my site and any site I go to that instantly hits me with ads is instantly stopped. I don't do 'social media' ever, so that's one source of pain in the tail advertisements that's eliminated at the get go. I also use a well known, and paid a pittance, site that stops ads, spam and 'phishing' sites amongst other choice foibles of our 'modern' world. I do have a new 'eye phone' that will supposedly do everything including wash and walk the dogs, cut my hair and gas up the car. Only reason I have it is for 'blue mail' for some local entities, otherwise it's just a cumbersome wireless telephone. 99.9% of the time I use my little 2006 cell phone. Works good every day, fits in the watch pocked of my jeans so I'm in your corner, Tanque.

Now that I think of it I will check the 'eye phone' and see if there's an app to slow down our new little blue girl Krist'lyannah. Phat chance of that, nothing slows that 4 month old ball of atomic energy so far besides her adopted mother Sophia giving her 'the look'.

Sevoblast
https://etoarmor.com/